Sunday, January 27, 2008

and i train too


i have never claimed this to be a true training blog (notice the subtitle is "triathlon-ish"....but, i noticed i haven't posted many of my training specifics lately (or ever), so i'll give a little picture of what last week looked like...
last week was week 3 of the my first block of "base phase". following joe friel's guidelines, my training is divided into 4 week blocks. the first 3 weeks build in volume and the 4th is recovery. the way my plan is set up now, i'll have 16 weeks of "base" training, followed by 8 weeks of "build" and a few peak weeks in july before vineman 70.3. i have lots of B and C races leading up to vineman, but wanted to really focus on building a strong base and decided not to worry about adding in too much intensity early on in the season.
this weeks training totaled 14:53...


monday: 45 minute trainer/recovery session (day after carlsbad half. did some spin ups, and a little ILT. nothing crazy)
tuesday: swim masters (1:15), run (:40), full-body strength circuit training (:50)
wednesday: trail run (:45), bike ride (2:15- i got rained on and it was windy and sucked)
thursday: swim masters (1:15)
friday: trainer workout with isolated leg drills (1:30)
saturday: hilly bike ride with the tri club (2:45); brick run (:35....my first real brick of the season and the run felt awesome. clipped off 4.5 miles sub 8 min pace...the bike really loosens up my legs and for once i don't feel dull hip pain)
sunday: long run (1:25), upper-body & core strength/spin w/u (:50), a couple yoga poses....
weekly total:
Swim :7050yds
Bike: 105 miles
Run: 25 miles
Strength: 1.5 hours

next week is a recovery week so volume will be down a little. i am running a tough 15k xterra trail race next sunday and me needs some fresh legs.







13 comments:

moonpie said...

Gold fingernails rule!

BTW, was browsing for funny t-shirts today...is this you?
http://www.palmercash.com/images/products/fan-pictures-28.jpg

Benson said...

Oh no, you're a triathlete.
Nice training there.

beth said...

moonpie- no, but that actually looks like me....creepy! speaking of funny
t-shirts, i was showing these ones to james last night...

http://www.gymskinz.com/store/index.cgi/trashtalk

i told him he needs the " i ride my bike more than my girlfriend"
one....

Paul said...

Dang, you are logging some serious training! Nice.

Jaakko Hiekkaranta said...

Beth!

You'll be rocking at Vineman 70.3!!

And thanks so much for your comment! I take it as a GREAT HONOR to be referred in the same phrase with Macca ;P

jameson said...

hater...

moonpie said...

Beth - I don't know what to say about that...ummm...yeah, no comment...m-kay?

:P

triguyjt said...

great training week. sounds like your recovery week is good timing.

1:30:00 half mary???? excellent.
nice blog...
good work

triguyjt said...

checked some back entries and your list of things you had never done or thought of doing was great...
very creative blog.

your in my fav blogs list

Matt said...

Beth,
keep up the good work.
I know you can "trail" with THE BEST of them. Great blog.

Lucho said...

Hey-
Thanks for the good word the other day. Send some of that warm weather out our way please!
Cheers

Benson said...

Now, about your birthday.

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!

Shan said...

Beth,

I found your blog through Rachel's (Amateur Tri girl) and I just wanted to say it's great! It sounds like you're getting some solid training in and by your recent results, 2008 is going to be a kick-ass year for you!

I also train with TCSD folks, but do most of my training with the UCSD Masters program (since I'm a grad student there). And I'm sure you've met some of the Velo Bella chicks via TCSD - Raja, Jess, etc...you should ride with us sometime for sure!

Anyway, I hope this finds you well! I'm sure I'll see you at some club races and Aquathons this year!

Cheers,
Shannon