Monday, February 11, 2008

lucky headband.....


yesterday james and i did the 23rd annual Guys and Gals Couples race put on by San Diego Track Club....we both woke up pretty unmotivated and it was really chilly outside. i tried to take off my grump face and put on my race face but i just wasn't sure if it was going to happen. even when we were warming up, i just wasn't sure if i could get the old energy in the legs to go my fastest....but, the plan was to actually figure out what my fastest (or close to it) is...my shortest race so far has been the 10k. anyway, no big race report, see james' blog for that (and the pictures), but we got first place (1st male, 1st female, and 1st overall team) (thankfully, since i was with the guy in that outfit)
i had just gotten a run lactate threshold test done with ken over at fitstop and i was interested to see how my actual performance compared with his numbers. he measured my run LTHR as 171 bpm. the run zones i am supposed train with are
Z1: <145
Z2: 146-156
Z3: 157-163
Z4: 164-170
Z5: 171+
i just started training w. HR, uh, yesterday i guess, so one of my goals is to get on it now that i have a Garmin 305 GPS and HRM. from what ken said, since this is my first real season of racing/training, i should be able to raise this LTHR a bit with the right training.
my actual average HR in the 4 mile run was 174 bpm and my max HR was 180. not sure what this means.....a few beats higher than my lab LTHR, but pretty close.
my time for the run was 26:06 , a 6:28/mile average...and the course was not flat- 428ft of elevation gain.

after the race, we headed to mission bay to run 6 more easy miles along the shore. later in the afternoon james decided on a recovery spin along the coast, and since recovery spin for him pretty much means tempo bike for me, i opted out and headed to moonlight beach in encinitas to do some reading....here are some hazy shots from the camera phone, i think the lens was cloudy or something...
i love the little cali surfing grommets...

that's it...check the vo2maxxed for the latest.

6 comments:

moonpie said...

Congrats on the race homie! Your lab LT and field LT are very close, which I think is excellent! Would have been confusing if they were way off, so you must have given it a real good effort in the lab. Maybe the difference speaks to the external factors that influence performance, such as being in a race.

Instead of reading a book you should have borrowed one of James' surfboards and given the groms something to talk about ;)

Paul said...

Congrats on the race you two! Wow, he better run like that with the 80's head gear :)

Benson said...

Nice race you two! It must be the headband. I hope we see more of that.
OMG, James looks like Paul Huddle!

HR gizmos can be fun.

TRI-ROB said...

Judas PRIEST! I can't WAIT to get out of base training and be able to throw down some fast mileage like you and JDub! Nicely done! What a FUN race for you two!

Just out of curiosity... does he ever let you borrow the headband? Probably not huh? I bet it has mysterious powers....

Breathe...

Rachel said...

Ugh. Hate the HR monitor. Good job for sticking with it. Congrats on the race! I see you've become one of THOSE people--have to run more after the race. (I've become one too. When did that happen?) LOL!

triguyjt said...

congrats on the couples title...

great effort in the lab..
mirrored it in the race it seems