Thursday, March 20, 2008

can you buy x-rays in bulk?

bethany sent me a cute pic from our saturday trainer session. i look way happier than i actually was after 60 miles on that thing

okay. this story sounds sad, but its quite funny, because it was one of those.....for real? can-this really-be-happening stories you just have to laugh at:
on tuesday i went to the bike shop to get a more triathlon-esque fit on my road bike (yeah, see no-man's land position above...not tri, not road, not sure) i have also been feeling not-so-powerful and just wanted it all looked at and also to get a new saddle put on. blah blah blah. so i'm on the bike on the trainer on a 2 foot tall platform pedaling away and the F'ING BIKE FLIES OFF THE TRAINER WITH ME ON IT AND CRASHES HARD ON MY NEWLY HEALED RECENTLY BROKEN ARM. so i'm laying on the floor tangled in my bike, traumatized and they offer to call the ambulance and i'm just sobbing because my arm really hurts and i'm terrified it has re-broken. (by the way- shouldn't bike shop dudes know how to attach a bike to a trainer?)
the next 20 minutes were a blur, but i decided to drive home and reassess the situation. i was not about to get another mega emergency room bill (especially since last time there was no cast or anything anyway) so i slept on it and went to urgent care yesterday at San Diego State. spent the day there and at first they thought it was re-fractured because the entire fracture line is still visible in x-rays. but, they sent it off to a radiologist for a "wet read" (WTF is that?) and it came back saying it shows only a healed fracture....WHATTUP! i'm not broken! only bad news is the arm still hurts so i skipped masters and track and a run. so....this has turned into a non-planned recovery week.
BUT, i'm secretly stoked because now my next recovery week is pushed back a week and so now I get to have a big base week during my spring break! planning on spending some big bike time that week and besides i would go crazy trying to "rest" during spring break like a normal person

another non-related picture-finishing the st.patty's day 10k

7 comments:

GZ said...

JACKED. That **** is jacked. There are occasions where I begin to think, hmm, maybe I will get a bike. Yeah, and a powermeter. Yeah and a trainer. Then I freak at the cost of all this stuff, read this sort of thing and talk to Lucho (who has been hit by a car no less than seven times as I understand it). And so I go for a trail run instead. I'll leave that bike stuff to you kids. ;-)

Anyway, glad to hear you are okay despite the freak accident. Wet read: http://allnurses.com/forums/f8/radiology-question-what-wet-read-122944.html

Lucho said...

Beth- Excellent work on the 10k! Keep at it. Close call on the accident too- maybe the "balls" on your wrist threw off your balance? ha..
T

jameson said...

if anybody could get injured during a bike fitting it would be you!! so stoked the wing is not broken! I still kind of think you are lying about the whole thing just so you don't have to cook me dinner!

moonpie said...

That is a ka-razy story! Those damn bike shop wrenches. During a recent bike fit my left crank arm just came off while spinning, still attached to my shoe of course. Then when I took my new bike for a ride, the seat came loose! Pissed me off!

Glad you are OK - hope they didn't charge you for that!

triguyjt said...

glad its not re broken...

i will have to check out the link to see what a wet read is..

got the catalogue in the mail....
nice pics...congrats

Nikee Pomper said...

That fall should earn you some free gear at the bike shop, at the least a couple of water bottles... Enjoy your spring break/ hard core training week!

Ryan Denner said...

I really like your wrist band!