Sunday, March 2, 2008

finishing february and flexing in the bathroom

another good week of 15 hours or so of training and its time for the sunday night blog post. i always mean to post sooooo many times during the week and so often it comes down to the sunday night post. nothing wrong with it, just wish i was more on it over the week...first something funny: so james and i are cooking dinner and i come back from the bathroom and i'm like "look, my left bicep is way bigger than my right..." and james says, "yes it is...and i can't believe you were just flexing in the bathroom". uhhhhhh....

i had some really great runs this week including my "lucho" run as we're calling it. it's a warm-up, tempo run, cool down that will gradually increase.. this week my lucho run was 8 miles (middle 3 at tempo) along the coast on a freaking beautiful day. i'm pretty sure i was hauling ass (for me) (just sub 7min pace) during the tempo portion, but i had left my heart rate monitor at home like an idiot so we can't be sure (d'oh!). anyhow, it felt hard and good. i also had a killer trail run where i literally saw a mountain in the distance, found a trailhead, and ran to the top. total moutnain lion trailbait material but it was so much fun and i found some incredible trails. everything in san diego is so green right now because of all the rain. the weather has been insanely beautiful this week. AND my long run was all trail too....so nice for the legs.

i also had a major week of swimming and this marked the end of my first month at masters (after broken arm episode). as of this week i'm totally not flailing around so much in the water and i actually feel like i'm on my way to making some improvement. i swam just under 11K this week (!!!!) and made it to three masters sessions. the big deal was tuesday's swim. i swam in a faster lane and cruised to 4000 yds in 1:15. usually in 1:15 i swim from 3250-3450, so this was a huge jump. AND it felt effortless, like it all just came together. none of my usual huff and puff and hang on approach. i told james later that it was an out of body experience. he thinks i'm crazy (nothing new here).

my rides were standard. two focused trainer sessions and one long ride today- 57 miles and over 4,000 feet of climbing. i rode with an awesome group for the first 40 and finished my ride along the coast with some espresso and the java depot and some james....nothing better....here's j chilling at the pit stop.

james came out with me for his recovery spin (tail end of my ride) because he crushed it yesterday in Vision Quest- a 56 mile mountain bike race with 12,000 feet of climbing including a 45-minute hike a bike section. darn. that's nuts
i went up to orange county to support the man and my support included waking up at 3:30am to drive him to the race site. only fair that i took a picture of him taking a last minute poo off the front of his truck...oh, i laughed my butt off. it was awesome.
dropping some trou...

after dropping him off, i went back to my friend (and lovely hosts) paige and parker's house to do my long run on more mountain lion trail bait trails by their house. it was a great zone 1&2 11-miler that i negative split by 5 minutes! the first 5 miles i ran at just over 8-minute pace and the last six miles i ran 7:30s like it was my business. it felt easy, fun, and fast (and f-ing cold but that's besides the point)...okay, so i showered up and headed to the race site with paige, parker and baby luke to watch james finish. here's the support crew
i was a bit worried the whole crazy race would be traumatizing and he'd be crying or babbling at the finish, but no way.
crossing the finish, was a happy, smiling amped up jameson. so proud of him.
we celebrated his race with belgian beer, sweet potato fries, gourmet burgers (carmelized onions, spicy greens, blue cheese) and salads (mine was strawberry, spinach, goat cheese, steak, fennel and balsamic) at a new restaurant in downtown san diego...here's the beer.. mine was belgian (what was the freaking name?)..all i know is it was 10.5% alcohol. i had 2 and a half drinks last night and was hammered. oh, the benefits of fatigue and dehydration. fun times!

9 comments:

Paul said...

Next thing you'll be doing one arm curls in the mirror! That last pic is killer. mmmm beer. James is lucky to have good race support from you. I know it makes all the difference.

kerrie said...

i think the second picture is the best! i'd hang on to that one just in case you need it at any point in the future...
sounds like another solid week of training!

Benson said...

Ah yes, the morning constitution. such a regular boy he is.
Great week of training and you're the bomb for being support at james' race.

jameson said...

thanks for being there... photographing me, and then buying me post race beers... does it get any better...??

triguyjt said...

thats a great looking support team...

props on another great week of training.. we are not worthy

Jaakko Hiekkaranta said...

thanks Beth for your comment! always hearing encouragements from nice persons lifts your spirit! i think I might just try a little re-scheduling and move my swim w/o's to PM, if the black line looks better then ;P

Anyway thanks again and great you help James do crazy stuff :)

TRI-ROB said...

I can't get the picture out of my mind: You... hauling ass down a mtn... wild-eyed yet determined... HUGE mtn lion trailing you! Good times.

I'm SUPER pumped reading about how your swim is coming along! YES! Keep it up!

BREATHE...

p.s. I want that freakin shirt!

The re-awakening of an Athlete said...

Thank goodness I am not the only one in the whole world who also has one bicep bigger than the other. Not noticable, but measureable.

Paul said...

Hey, no du for me this weekend. Due to family commitments. I'm going to run a 5K early and then roll out.