Sunday, April 6, 2008

how to blow up in a 5k...

well, not really but let's just call it a lapse in pacing ability causing me to contemplate a fake cramp and drop out at mile 2...i swear
but i'm tougher than that.... at least after the race i can say that, but i think i need some lessons in mental toughness.

so here is the Carlsbad 5000 race report- my first 5k.

I got there early enough, not before-the-parking-lot-opens-and-enough-time-to-nap-and-digest-a-whole-chicken early (james style) but i made it with one or two moments to spare before my warm-up. i did a 20-minute easy job followed by 4 1-minute accelerations to lactate threshold, recommended by lucho ("the mafter" :) ), and felt awesome and ready to go (besides the fact that i was "that girl" looking all serious and running fast through a parking lot trying to raise my HR).

the race started at 10:20 and we were off! I think lucho's warm-up may have been too good because i dropped the first mile in 5:54. considering i've never actually seen a sub 6 mile on my watch, in hindsight this was probably not the smartest. but let me make my (unfounded) case: this was a BIG race. over 10,000 people and 1100 in my wave. full on spectators all over the course and a freaking motorcaid leading us with motorcycles, a big truck with people in it, and videocameras and all kinds of stuff. And i got to be up front with the top 10-15 girls and run behind the truck for the first mile. how cool! okay, so maybe i got passed by about 5 people over the next two miles and basically blew it, who cares! it was soooooo cool to reach the turnaround because i had no idea how many people were behind me and it was crazy to be running up in the front on empty roads when you see how packed it was for a mile back.

this is how it went for me:
chip time: 19:35 (goal #1 of 2008 acheived- break 20 in a 5k!)
18th overall out of 1170 in the wave.

you know, maybe i can be faster. maybe this wasn't my best. but i tried hard, reached my goal and learned some lessons about pacing. it is just really hard for me because i do not have the confidence to go out conservatively because i don't believe in myself enough to know that i can "make it up" later on in the race....
after my race, i was a good girl and logged another 7 miles for a total of 13 on the day. i came home and did a recovery spin (40 minutes) on the trainer and my legs felt a TON better. i've never done the "recovery spin" before and kind of thought it was a sandbagging way for triathletes to either 1) make their desired training time for the week or 2) burn a couple extra calories but call it a "recovery spin"....well, now i'm a believer. it seriously helped my legs and hopefully will payoff in less DOMS tomorrow.

other than that, james got his aero on at sueprseal (olympic distance triathlon) and i was bummed that i couldn't be there to watch. i secretly like to spectate as much if not more than i like to race and this was a fun local one i was sad to miss. he ran off course (AGAIN!), i am going to have to map those things out for him and take him on some previews next time....i mean, if you are going to be fast enough to be in the front, it's your job to know where the hell you are going. sorry for the tough love, james.

no pictures yet, but i'm going to put some up in the next couple days.
have a great week!
-b

15 comments:

GZ said...

Beth - awesome stuff. You are learning the 5K well. Getting familiar with those faster paces will, I think, eventually help you. Soon that fast start will be easy goings and you will dig in to mile two and three. Nice job on getting your sub 20 objective.

(plus I hear that first mile is fast anyway).

GZ

Nikee Pomper said...

Holy Cow! Sub 20, that is fantastic! It is still very early in the season, oh and you have an injured arm. You are going to kill it at Vineman. Great Job!

kerrie said...

great job! you can never knock a PR...the first mile is always so hard to get down cause your adrenaline is going overtime and you're thinking - "this is easy, this is easy, oooh wait, maybe not...". Way to mix it up with the big girls ;), you'll nail it next time round.

Matt said...

Beth,
that first mile is fine. I've believed it most of my competitive life (whatever that means), and Trevor Glavin mentioned it in a recent post: in a race we get "free speed" or something along those lines because of the circumstances, the race, the adrenaline. In other words, you ought to expect it.

Nice going!

Paul said...

Good job! The first mile is mostly down hill at Carlsbad 5K. So it is almost always fast!! Way to break 20!!

Jaakko Hiekkaranta said...

Congrats Beth! Way to go! And it only gets faster from there, right;P

jameson said...

I knew you could do it... good job sandbagger!

thanks for the tough love!

Jim said...

Beth - Great run. I had some trouble finding your results on the Carlsbad 5000 site, but eventually found it. Keep after James, he can sometimes use some expert guidance......

TV Digital said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-digital-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Ryan Denner said...

great job beth! I blew up in my first 5K - welcome to the club!

jay said...

Nice Job Beth!!! That is an amazing time. Arm feeling any better?

Rachel said...

Jeez, Beth. You were smokin'! You rock! I had a great time (waaaay behind you). Tons of fun. Good catching up afterwards.

SixTwoThree said...

Way to go girl! Especially coming off that arm injury. That is so cool that you were up there with the lead pack in such a prestigious race :-)

moonpie said...

Hey! I blew up much worse than you in a 5-k, but I dare not post the blog link ;)

TRI-ROB said...

YES! Please tell me that you smiled while you were up there in the lead pack? Sometimes... you just gotta pop out of the zone for a second and go, "Holy CRAP! This is freakin NEATO!"

Outstanding job! You ran fast AND learned a TON... kuddos!

Breathe...