Thursday, May 1, 2008

triathlon time



the time has come...
enough of this "triathlon-ish" crap. after this weekend, i will (hopefully) be a triathlete. for reals. like in a real [paid-for] race (not that the TCSD races aren't "real", but they are more good fun training against your friends :) )...
and i'm very excited. it's a short race. spring sprint is a 1/4 mile swim, 9 mile bike, 3 mile run. i kind of feel like a dork for being excited about this mini-race, but i just am! james is racing too, with the whole breakaway training crew...so that will be fun (and also means i will be there on time....maybe we should just camp there...)

and of course, i have a fun new trisuit to sport....the guys (emilio and chuck) over at DeSoto have been so awesome to me and hooked me up with their brand new 2008 ITU suit! So, I'm not an ITU racer, but this thing screams fast. here it is....
okay, that picture sucks but i didn't realize it when i took it with my phone camera (on the fabulous backdrop of my green t-shirt sheets) and am too lazy to take/upload another becuase that would take a whole 90 seconds.

i don't have any specific goals for this race other than to try not to make the same mistakes i made at the TCSD club race last month (no warm up, no pumped tires, embarrassingly slow transitions). my swim still isn't near where it should be (5 weeks no swimming) - just got back in the pool last thursday, but the swim is short, so i can take it. i haven't done any open water swimming (the shark attack deterred me a bit for the time being), but james has promised to practice swim starts (and transition!) with me on saturday to help me get ready. (i am writing this so he can't get out of it....

as for cycling- i've been working on it and I did 2 long rides last weekend and have been pretty consistent with bike workouts during the week as well. i'm still not where i hope to be in six months, but making slow and steady improvements ( i like to think).

jim vance, pro triathlete and TrainingBible coach gave me some good tips based on some pictures from the club race....how cool!

thanks, jim! i've been focusing on keeping my heels parallel to the ground all week....and the tires will be PUMPED...just like me. (sorry...so cheesy)

14 comments:

Mark said...

It will be my first real paid-for triathlon race as well, so I'm also excited! See you out there!

Nikee Pomper said...

Good Luck Lady! Killer race outfit. The competition will be psyched out seeing that get up

jameson said...

you cheesy... no way. that was almost as good at the "corn-er"...

i have my stop watch, collared shirt, and whistle ready to go... time for transition practice...

NO SITTING IN TRANSITION THIS WEEKEND!

GZ said...

Go BG go!

Those tires are flat?!

GZ

Paul said...

Good luck!! Sweet looking race kit!

runninggunner said...

Good Luck. Have fun!

Matt said...

picturing you and james practicing (james w/collared shirt and whistle) is pretty hilarious.

Good luck this w/e, but i just see the sprint as a little intensity w/o leading up to the real race: Xduro Vail Lake!

tell james he needs the coach shades and tube socks, too.

Benson said...

Good luck and kick ass.
Very cool tri suit. You will be fast.
james also needs the high-wasted polyester 'coach shorts' ala 80's royal blue.
Are you gonna wear the lucky pink head band?

Shan said...

Beth! Best of luck this weekend - I think you'll tear it up! :) Sweet DS racing gear - I <3 their stuff. I'll send some quick transition vibes your way on Sunday...

Rachel said...

You are going to ROCK it!!! Not really fair that it's your "first". I'll be doing it too--just for kicks. See you SUNDAY!!!

triguyjt said...

so nice that you get the cool stuff from desoto...

who cares if its a short race...you will zone in on some quick times...

heres to you and other s.d triathletes in moving on and competing in wake of the david martin attack. you honor him by going on..

moonpie said...

Hope your practice went well! That trisuit looks excellent, but we (you know, the collective tri dudes) think it would be a good idea if you model it ;)

Crush the race homie!

TRI-ROB said...

Yeah.. I'm with ya... 90 seconds is too long to stand still no matter WHAT you're doing!

KILL IT!

Breathe...

SixTwoThree said...

Beth, thank you so much for posting the above picture! After I saw it, I suspected I was doing the same thing. I just had my coach over this afternoon to look at my pedal stroke. Yup, guilty! Now, I'm stoked to see my times improve on the bike!