Monday, July 28, 2008

the aftermath- vineman 70.3 and news!

vineman is not olny the best race locale, but also the best post-race locale. shortly after the race, we were sitting by the pool at the hotel, lounging around in our robes (always cheesy and fun), and eating steak frites.

robe lounging....
the only part that wasn't fun about our post-race celebration was that when tasting wine, it's nice to be able to taste the wine...my little respiratory friend made that difficult, but not difficult enough to participate! my parents are pretty into wine (one of the reasons i was able to get them across the country for a silly race..) and we spent monday exploring sonoma's finest. this was the first time i had been to some of the smaller producers and it was great to get some hands on lessons in the vines and from the actual folks who make it their livelihood. at UNTI, i asked, "where did you get the name UNTI?" mick replied, "from my dad..." D'oh! guess i was supposed to realize that was the name. i just thought they made it up to look good on wine bottles..
james first wine tasting...

behind the scenes



all in all, the trip was fabulous (aside from my whining and snotting and such) and i can't thank my parents enough for making the trip out. it was not only a race, but a super vacation...i am so lucky they came to my race because now they really get the logistics of swim-bike-run and can almost see why people would be so silly and ridiculous to spend all of their time and money on the hobby... my parents have been my #1 sponsor from the beginning (my orbea was a gift for my Master's graduation!) and it really meant the world to have them there...
then there's this guy
the man of my dreams:) i mean, how can you not love a bearded man with pronounced ribs and ladies sunglasses? no, for real....he and i both know that i would be wildly unsuccessful if it weren't for him. he basically plans my pre-race routine, gets everything ready, and all i have to do is show up...but its not just that he does nice things...he is just...well i think its pretty much obvious how much i love him and why from this blog.. so i guess its time to reveal some big news:we are engaged! no, just kidding. but we ARE officially going to be living in sin after today! I'm moving in...yipeee!!! sorry about the engaged comment, just trying to lay the pressure on thick:) ...ha ha. james is gonna LOVE this. thanks james!

also exciting...i am now going to be racing for Breakaway Training. i am officially the female fixture on their team and i couldn't be more excited and lucky to have this opportunity. Breakaway coaches over 100 athletes and is a great crew with presence at all the local races...not only do i have the chance to race with the team, i get to race on an incredible fast Look 496 tri bike (pictures coming up soon..). i picked up the bike this week and it is basically a speed machine. its ridiculous.

as for the Breakaway team, i am so lucky to be a part of this fantastic organization. Felipe, the owner and head coach has been a friend since i was on crutches and bought a bike! (he is also the guy in all those De Soto ads/catalog with me). he always told me that there would be a spot for me on his team when i got fast, and i am (way too) lucky that they are taking a chance on me so early. i told Felipe that i certainly do not feel as though i have earned a place on the team yet, so i will just have to prove it to him and get mega-fast! i guess there will be no more bitching from me about not having a tri bike!

me and felipe....





so this is update #1, but i also raced a sprint this past weekend (my first with Breakaway!)....can't wait to post the RR and some pics of the fast bike!

19 comments:

SixTwoThree said...

Okay, I was almost 2 for 2! You GOT ME!! But I called it on the sponsor didn't I? Yeah, I know a happy couple when I see one- hah. The ring is just the icing on the cake. or the ice. That boy 's gotta save up ;-)

GZ said...

Welcome to the world of POSSLQ ... persons of opposite sex sharing living quarters.

Jaakko Hiekkaranta said...

So can I get an invitation when the really big day is prevailing ;)

congrats on the move, team signing and that new bike!!!
fortunately I'm not in your age-group :)

Jim said...

Great news on the engagement. Can't wait to tell his mother. (HaHa) Keep the gentle pressure applied. He'll come around. You two are obviously a team.

Great race on Sunday. I checked the results, but I'll let you provide all the details. Congrats !! Good race, new digs, new bike, same old boyfriend. Four out of four, pretty sweet !!

Ryan Denner said...

I feel odd calling a female and animal, but you are killing it! I can't believe you raced SB a week after VM!! and probably smoked it, but i will wait for that blog post.

Congrats on the sponsorhip!! are you getting wheels also?

rr said...

Ha! I'm cracking up at the engaged comment.. way to lay it on, girl.

Congrats on the new team! They are so lucky to have you :) Hope you're feeling better now.

My brother is getting a masters in vitaculture - I learned so much about wine on the cruise with him.. it's very cool.

Flatman said...

Congrats on the sponsorship!!!

You and James are the coolest...

felipetri said...

hey beth congrats!
and thanks again for being part of breakaway training!

Sue said...

Ok, I have been reading your adventure for some time and it has been grand to say the least...Way fast runner...like my daughter..great results this past weekend...Chloe my 12 year old reads your blog and thinks you are way cool...And you are...keep it coming...and will follow you along the way...

kerrie said...

yay for living in sin! i might have to try that...
your pics crack me up, especially the robe one. obviously we're not staying at the right place or at least i couldn't find them in the motel 6 closet ;)

Benson said...

good news all around. this post kept a big smile on my face.
congrats on all the goodness.

Shan said...

wow, wow and WOW! Sweet new ride, lady! And of course, congrats on the AG podium finish only a week out from a 70.3!! :)

BreeWee said...

You totally deserve the support and being part of the Breakaway team! Super racing you got going on... and the man in your life... yeah, you gotta have him too... he sounds like such a keeper- congrats!

Christine said...

OMG! I almost freaked at the engaged comment!!! Sounds like you have some AWESOME opportunities ahead! Take pics of the new place! :)

Matt said...

Congratulations on everything.
You all certainly have our attention.
Keeper rollin.

Mark said...

Congrats all the way around! If I were gay, I would go for James, and I'm sure he'd be down with it (if he were also gay). Lucky for you...

triguyjt said...

thats a great robe lounging pic but i worry that someone else took the pic....LOL

Bride and I were in napa a few years back and at ...i think, madonna estates wine tasting, i spilled some gorgeous merlot all over her white shirt.....

hey, the wine out spray works real well..

good luck with breakaway!!!

D a v e P said...

Beth, welcome to the team!
I saw you a couple times on the run course...again. Great job!

Sarah said...

YAAAAAAAY BETH!

I love happy posts. And you sound *so* incredibly happy. I think your blog is great because even in spite of things going wrong (like getting HORRIBLY SICK BEFORE VINEMAN) you manage to put a positive spin on things.

So go you.

AND YOU GO GIRL! Congrats on the stellar job at the sprint tri. :)