Saturday, July 19, 2008

a blur

the past few days have been a blur...which has turned into a bit of a fog...but more on that later.

after 24 hours of time in the air, the dallas airport and the norfolk airport, my plane touched down in san diego late wednesday morning. upon landing, i had precisely 16 hours to pack for a half ironman and a trip to wine country, visit Dr. Dan the ART man, sleep (3 hours), run errands, show and subsequently rent out my condo (got the deposit- all set!), and participate in the TCSD Club Aqualthlon (1000m swim, 5k run). uh. yeah, thats a lot. TGFJ- thank God for James! he did the VAST majority of packing and bike readiness and such for the big trip.

i really wanted to do the Aquathlon to see some of my TCSD friends, do a "hard" swim and have a nice jog for the run. I PROMISED myself i would not race the run, so i didn't wear my timing chip and just went out and cheered for everyone along the course. i had a blast and i needed to get the kinks out before the race. i also wanted to test drive my awesome new De Soto micro tri shorts and top...i can't wait to race vineman 70.3 in this- thanks Emilio! I figured with the heat on the run course, the less clothes the better!

pics from the aqualthon...
so i went home after the race, packed up, slept for two hours and we hit the road. we are now in guerneville, ca along the russian river and it's beautiful. i can't wait to race here..i love the river, huge redwoods, little trails....this place feels like camp. i keep telling james that (i love camp!) and he thinks its funny. look, we even have a cute little cabin right on the river!
the place we are staying (Dawn Ranch Lodge) is SOOO cute. right in town on the river, a 3 minute walk from transition (2 minutes from starbucks!), and they have a great pool, plum orchards and some nice little trails and such. when james gets back from his ride this morning, we are going to swim up the river to transition- how quaint!

we took a quick little spin yesterday ...first time on the bike in over a week, but felt good, aside from a sore throat that was growing..but enjoyed the vineyards and scenery...



and i got my bearings....

of course, we went back later.....carbo loading!!!


okay, so we were having a blast, but all the while my throat was getting SUPER sore and my nose becoming more and more stuffed up. the sickness with a quickness. we stopped by the store, got some theraflu, zinc, cough drops....i'm trying not to freak out. i feel about 60% right now. last night was not so good. up all night taking more medicine, etc...which didn't help the 5 hours sleep total from the 2 nights prior....
so, i'm tired, sick, and a little bummed- not the best timing- but such is life!...i'm kind of convinced i could feel better by tomorrow morning and either way i will roll with it and make the best out of it. sure, i probably wont have the race of my life with a cold or the flu or strep or whatever this is, but i'm sure i can still finish it, have a BLAST and enjoy this amazing place with james and my family (he meets the folks tonight!!!) so, come what may, i'm racing tomorrow and i cannot wait!


thank you to everyone wishing me well in this race...i am so behind on my blog reading and commenting with all this travel (i feel so out of it!) i can't wait to relax next week and catch up with everyone...and good luck to all those racing IMLP!

6 comments:

Jim said...

Good Luck on your race. Hope you are feeling better by race time.

Ryan Denner said...

beth, you are gonna do so well tomorrow. Vineman is a great race.

i have been coming down with something too. i took some tylenol and ibuprofen, and am starting to feel near human again - i hope the same for you!!

enjoy the course tomorrow, and remember to take it all in! looking forward to hearing about it!

TRI-ROB said...

So here's the thing... being a bit sick might be the best thing EVER for your race! Think about it... or rather... DON'T think about it. Smile a lot and have some fun... you're going to learn some cool new stuff about yourself tomorrow! Hellz jeah!

Breathe...

Robb-ie-yo!

GZ said...

Blur of days ... sickness. Coincidence?

Race report? Uh, race report? Because I gotta know. I mean, I am so used to this instant gratification culture that I gotta know right away.

Okay, why does JW always look like a bad ass when running or biking but he looks like something from off of cops in the in the candid shots? ;)


In any case, your journey is inspiring - and this makes for one of my favorite reality shows to check in on every day.

kerrie said...

yeah, i'm with gz on this one! race report? any kind of report? how did it go?

Supalinds said...

I've been a lurker for a while - and I have to say I love your blog (and James blog as well).

I hope you did great at Vineman!! Can't wait to hear the race report! I am sure you rocked it!