Wednesday, July 30, 2008

good times at the beach- solana beach triathlon

i'm planning on giving the 'ole blog a facelift in the next week or two. james has informed me
that i should change my layout and especially "that picture with the awkward pose". thanks, babe! i know i also need to update my links with all my new friends, supporters and team!!!!


okay, race report time. took a little energy to get the juice flowing the weekend after vineman...but it was my first chance to race with the breakaway team on the new bike!

triathlon #4- 7.27.2008- Solana Beach Sprint Triathlon.

another pretty big local race with 1500 people in the tiny town of solana beach....made for a very spectator-friendly race as you were constantly looping by everyone...there was also a really cool and sentimental vibe this year as the swim was at the location where Dave Martin died from a shark attack earlier this year and there were some nice memorials at the race.


of course james found a way to work his workouts around my race...my #1 (and only) fan!!!!



let's make this one short(ish!):


the swim:

my first race surf entry! i practiced in the waves the day before (okay, truth be told, we went out to encinitas the night before and did laps with surf entry. well, i did A lap and then decided the real waves were too big so i practiced my "entry" and dolphin diving in the white water...when i told james to "watch me!" he later said, "dophin dive? i thought you were going to break your neck....you know you're not supposed to dive straight down in 1ft deep water and pretty much do a handstand".....so i guess my surf entry is SUPER smooth.)


ANYWHOOO.... when the gun (well, i was expecting a gun, but it was a beep and i was a bit behind...) went off, i dove (handstand?) right in and was on my way. goggles filled up, blah blah, but i picked a super great line to the first buoy and didn't follow the crowd. this was a good move. round the buoys and i was 7th out of the water!!!! my wave was well over 100 people (all women under 29) so this was very good for me (i am quite the sub-average swimmer. in masters i often swim in the slowest lane. but then again, michellie jones and luke bell attend my masters so "slow" lane must be relative)...anyhow. i seem to race better than i swim in the pool. throw a wetsuit on me and swim fishy swim. guess my big girl thighs drag me down without tha rubba.

this is where we started

bike:

ok. look at this bike! there is NO EXCUSE to be slow. so i stepped up my game and worked my way into 2nd place on the bike. (did i just write that? little miss "i get dropped on every training ride") YES!

this photo and the next: Daniel Derkacs - thanks daniel!


attention! calling all losers who don't know that putting your head like this completely negates the AERO helmet....



ok- off the bike, onto the RUN!

james tells me i am 1 minute 30 seconds back on the first loop of the two loop course. when all was said and done, i made up about 45 seconds during the 5k. not enough to catch laura. she was ahead of me the whole race. she's a super athlete and swam in college. she also had a great run....maybe next time!

ya think i need to shorten my stride...what is this, hurdles?

the results: i finished 2nd in my age group (out of 85 AG25-29) and 3rd woman overall, including the elites. (uh, this is kind of a joke because it kind of helps when only one "elite" (amanda felder) enters the race! i think this is my best overall in a triathlon so far.

although i didn't win my age group, i made some good improvements in this race. i had the 2nd fastest bike split in my age group (of 85 women 25-29!). i had a decent swim. fastest run split (19:00)

mostly, i had a TON of fun racing with an awesome team, breakway training. i can't TELL you how many people were out there cheering me on and how supportive the team was. the entire breakaway crew had a SERIOUS showing on almost all the podiums, and coach felipe was 2nd Elite overall!!! coach luke said Felipe rode like "a man posessed..." i like it!

i love medals superNERD!

20 comments:

Jim said...

Don't kid yourself. The new bike only helps. It's the "Pink War Paint" and the "Little Train That Could" attitude that are behind the effort.

Check out the "Game Face" in the bike photo and you will see that I am right.

Congrats again....

Jim said...

Oh! and the lucky number may have also helped! Ya think?

Flatman said...

Whoooaaa....that bike is the SEX. No wonder you were flying! Fast-ass run split too. Way to go, badass. ;)

runninggunner said...

Great RAce Beth. The bike is amazing. Looks super fast.

GZ said...

ONLY FAN? Come on lady! You are going to need us as fans cuz I think the JW and you are going to end up on Dr. Phil after the throw down over the Padre bobble heads!

Nice job and way to keep living it.

Mer! said...

Ok..um..AWESOME!! AND it was your first surf entry, AND a week after Vineman. Ahhh, please share your recovery secrets...must be the fro yo. Note to self: increase fro yo.

Seriously, so impressive, you really got this thing DOWN. Newbie or not, you are rocking Beth!

Way to go on the bike!! It always feels awesome to nail a part that we're not always confident in (translation: my slow run =0)....you ARE a fast biker, so quit the "slow twitch," talk.

Even more awesome about support from your new team and your new "speed weaponry," sweet ride. Congrats!!

jameson said...

I still can't get over how fast you look on that bike... and how fast you were riding.

If you throw my bobbleheads away I am getting rid of the star you put behind the sink... what is that thing?

Christine said...

hey beth! just wondering...did u ever run track when you were younger? how do you get this fast? I'm trying...I just dont think I have it in me to be a super fast runner.

SixTwoThree said...

Yeah, and you did it a week after your first half IM. Crazy!! Did you run track or cross-country in high school? I'm curious too. For what it's worth, I always liked that "awkward pose" shot. Shows off your lean physique in a feminine way. Okay, I'm sounding like a mom now ;-)

Benson said...

OK, (pause for effect)...
Nice swim,
Badass bike,...

But you have got to teach me how you run WITHOUT YOUR FEET TOUCHING THE GROUND!
How the hell do you do that?

Great pics and very good splits.

Ryan Denner said...

those pics are f'n bad ass!

D a v e P said...

Beth,

Again, great job on Sunday! And don't worry, everyone's stride extends quite a bit on that last 100 meters to the finish line.

Sarah said...

GO BETH!!! Those pictures rock - just like you! So I am joining cross country this fall so I can get to be a faster runner. Then maybe the next time we're in a race together it'll take you longer to catch me on the run. ;)

TRI-ROB said...

wait! "ONLY FAN"???? I'm SO freakin insulted! Ok... not really. Good LORD you're a fast chickadee! I'm just SO excited for you! Especially with the new team and all! By the way... do they need someone to represent in the Pacific Northwest? Uh. I'm serious.

Great job Beth!

Breathe...

TRI-ROB said...

you KILL me!

"Swing me some o' that"? Hilarity!

Robbie-yo!

BreeWee said...

You are such a stud! Can I have your first autograph!? Quick send it to me before you get too famous and fast and fabulous! AWESOME! AND, that helmet photo is truly the BEST! I just got my first ever sperm helmet, still in the box, just never want to use it, coach is making me, and maybe if I take that photo of you blocking all the wind and send it pretending to be me he won't make me wear it... can I steal the photo?? ha ha, you are always making me laugh!
Happy training...

triguyjt said...

bike might look fast...but its the person powering it that rocks it...
great job beth..

Fe-lady said...

congrats on your vineman race! Speedy!

BreeWee said...

Hi Beth!! Yes, I totally saw that post after I already had my dinner stuff out and he has the SAME box of Quinoa on the counter as I am making tonight!
I have a question... can I borrow that photo of you with the sperm helmet and your head facing down to use on a post I want to write??? I was just gonna steal but I figured to ask first... I got my first sperm helmet just now and I saw that photo and laughed because that is how I am destined to look...

felipetri said...

thanks and great job.....