Monday, July 21, 2008

this is not a race report

well, it's been quite a little adventure up here at vineman 70.3...most races, you factor in your plan for the swim, bike, run, and nutrition....in my case, i had an added "medication plan"...(pre race afrin and ibuprofen, mid race dayquil, bento box full of tissues and halls cough drops). YUCK! that's okay, we take what we get, right?

i'm not going into the race report right now because i got no sleep last night thanks to my wonderful clogged head and chest and i need to rest up to go wine tasting! (kind of ironic- wine tasting when i can't taste!)

but, overall, the race was AWESOME! i made the best of it and went for it. mind over matter style :) . had fun out there (being sick gives you an excuse to have fun and be good to yourself instead of smash yourself for 5 hrs and that's what i did!) i made friends on the course (yeah sergio!), enjoyed wine country and finished in 5:11:59- a time i would have been stoked about for my first half, regardless of sick or not. i was 14th/81 in my AG and just 2 minutes away from 6th. 2nd run split for my AG (1:33).

my parents were amazing spectators (they popped up 3 times on the bike course!) and james was fantastic as usual ( i think he gets the thumbs up from the parents for sure)....

so, full race report and post-race relaxing report to come in an day or two. thanks for all the well wishes!

19 comments:

GZ said...

This is not a race report compliment...

...uh, BS - it is. How awesome is it that you can debut at this distance, sick, have such a good time, do that well, run a 93 half, and then go out and slurp some grape?

Way to live it.

Flatman said...

Way to go (this is not a race report compliment either, officially...)!

You rocked it, even sick. I am in awe.

Andrea said...

5:11? For your first half? And sick no less?

Whoa.

rr said...

killer run, Beth! Great start - and sick?! Crazy. Get well fast!

Benson said...

You are living right...
race,
wine tasting,
resting,
eating yogurt,
runny nose,
sore throat,
You got it all going on.

get well.

Sarah said...

BETH WAY TO GO!

I'm so happy I saw you on the swim. Way to kick some major ass in spite of being SICK! Uh, hello!!!! I can't wait to see what you'll do when you're WELL!

You were the one woman to catch me on the run. :) I thought it was you but since I was kind of out of it at that point I really didn't have it in me to shout after you "GO BETH!" :)

Congrats on such an inspiring finish in spite of the odds. Tell James I said it was great to meet him, too!

kerrie said...

very nice! i can't believe you were able to pull off that smokin' run while you were sick!?!?! now go taste wine til you can't take it any more....

p.s. glad you liked the 'tip', lol...

SixTwoThree said...

A virtual toast to you on your smokin' fast half IM. I'm just amazed at your pace. Sponsors anyone?! Anyone?!! I'm smiling thinking of what a great day you had out there, despite the bug. What a resilient gal!

Luke said...

congrats on the finish....awesome job!!

Ryan Denner said...

that run split is ridiculous!

Jaakko Hiekkaranta said...

that was flying!! great performance!

Mer! said...

Beth--you ROCKED it. I totally knew you would---even with sickness and sniffles and gross stuff. You're a super tough chick, not to be messed with.

Congrats on an amazing race----and if this is your first half and you weren't feeling 100%, I am so thankful to be moving up an age-group =0.

It was so great to meet you!! I'd love to ride sometime! Congrats again!
PS: I could use some run help, so any fast twitch secrets ya got, feel free to share =0

Sarah said...

So um...maybe I can trade some bike secrets for some super fast run secrets? Then we'll both get better! :D

Are you doing any other shorter races coming up? I'm headed down to SoCal in Aug AND Sep! Doing Santa Barbara Tri and LA Tri...I think that'll wrap it up for me.

AGain - GREAT JOB out there! And CUTE pink eye paint!!!!

Supalinds said...

Congrats on such a great race, especially considering the cirumstances!!

Zippy said...

Wow! That's a great 1/2 IM debut for a fully healthy person and you did it while deep in the throes or an upper respiratory virus. Simply awesome.

Jim said...

Let's see..... Great race, good times, family support, good wine, sick on race day. 4 outta 5 ain't bad.

Hope you are feeling better. Can't wait to hear your description of the race.

Gould said...

yes we need to have some girl riding time!!!

i'm STILL trying to figure out the secrets of the bike. maybe we should exchange swim/run tips!

nicely done for being sick. you're a stud! hopefully you're feeling better. the last time i did a half when i was sick, i was even SICKER after . . .

we should all hang out soon. and drink the wine i brought home. :)

BreeWee said...

what a stud you are! seriously, that is one heck of a positive-make-the-most-of-it attitude!

You might just be my new hero!

Mer! said...

AHHH! I just read your "tip" on my blog. WHERE WERE YOU on Sunday? Oh, that's right, kicking my ass on the run =0 (with or without the porto potty, you still can clean the road up with my remains).

I would love to ride w/you, anytime..only..if you promise to teach me secrets on how to make running less painful and how to stay cute during the run. You have mastered both!!

Rock on Beth and do that race report!