Sunday, August 24, 2008

let me see your body block




the weeekend was stop #5 on my tour de triathlon this summer...In total, i planned eight triathlon races for 2008- as its my first season, i figure one of the best ways to learn about racing is to do it! the total will include 1 half ironmnan, 2 olympic/internationals and 4 sprint races. the remaining races are on 9/28- the Orange County Triathlon (Olympic) and 10/5- the Mission Bay Triathlon (the first/oldest triathlon.
stop #5 was in lovely Imperial Beach, CA. Imperial Beach is right below San Diego, right above Tijuana, they call it the "Most Southwesterly City" in the u.s....

Okay, so the RACE!!

james had me all prepared and drove us down to the beach in the morning. as usual, he had me all under control. i headed to transition and james set off on his long run....expertly timed to finish when i got on the bike so he could see most of the race...


I was excited to be racing with Breakaway-Training again and the morning was more like happy hour than pre-race...chit chatting, catching up...and threw in my 20 minute run warm-up. it's so fun to have the team atmosphere at a race that is usually such and individual sport. i love it!

the swim
i lined up in the front row of my women under 29 wave in my brand new Zoot zenith- i love this thing- it is sooo comfortable and hugs all the right spots:) ...there were about 10 of us shoulder to shoulder in front. 30 seconds before the start, a huge "swimmer girl" walks up from the ocean, plants herself right in front of me, her wet butt on my wetsuit. it was a bold move, and we had clearly already gotten our "places" in the front row, but she nonchalantly butted in. i didn't give this much thought and just stayed behind her-according to her calf, she was only 20, so i gave her some slack :). i also have to remember that its a race and its not her job to be nice or polite.

the swim (500) was pretty typical. i was again behind the front pack, and just ahead of the large middle pack so i cruised it solo.had some sighting issues, but came out alright. the long sandy jog to T1 was long and sandy.


the bike
we took off on the 2 loop course and i passed 3 or 4 girls within the first few miles...i wasn't sure how many were still ahead of me, but i knew i made it close to the front of the pack..the course was flat flat flat...

the run




started off well (i think?). one day i will wear a watch! i tried to really focus on cadence and turnover right away and whenever i felt myself striding out or falling apart, i just repeated "tur-no-ver, tur-no-ver, tur-no-ver" to every step. in the first 2 miles i saw a lot of my friends from different waves on the out-n-back and cheered for them. they mostly gave me the head nod or the thumbs up. i think i need to slow down my cheering game and focus a little more on the running game...like stop doing stupid stuff like posing for the camera: anyhow. .....so i was running and running. i passed two girls. the last one was right at the turnaround and there was no one ahead. whoa. i dropped her. and had the realization that i was in first. overall! like winning! i kept running and felt great. i picked up a little 16 year old boy whose twin brother was ahead of him. he was sputtering "podium!!! right there" i was confused but thought i'd help him out. the race was "in the bag"...i knew it becuase the last girl i had passed was that huge/tall swimmer chicked who body blocked me at the swim start. since she was "Swimmer chick", i was not worried...so i gave little mr. 16 some advice and cruised with him to the finish chute. i looked back once during the second mile and swimmer chick was far behind. at the finish chute, i was looking around, wondering if they were going to announce, "first female....BETH GERDES!" and i would be so excited!
and then THIS happened:






huh? yes, you can laugh!!! SNEAK ATTACK from huge swimmer chick (who happens to swim for stanford and swim a 500m in 4:44!) Holy moly she got me. i was stunned and had no response. it just all happened so quickly i had no time to make a move back. the race was over...but gotta LOVE the pictures and laugh thoroughly at mylsef....so in the last 10 yds, she literally body blocked me (the actual chute/timing mat is much narrower than the finish "line"....)

let's play "where's midget beth?":


can you find me? james gets major props for capturing a classic moment.
let's just say i learned my lesson. i felt so dumb! if i had kept my head in the race instead of assuming i had it, there is no way she would have passed me. i had so much left in me. i should have seen the foresahdowing at the start that the finish would end in a body block too!!! i got bullied by the big kids. but i deserved it.

wasn't in my age group, so technically i still won that, and was 2nd overall. i had an awesome time with breakaway training and our group was on the podium in almost all the age groups! matt (below with james) was 4th in his age group on his single speed! awesome.
me and claudia (3rd 25-29):

after the race, it was home for a spin on the bikes.....with my favorite person.

31 comments:

Mark said...

My God man - she's gigantic, and by the sounds of it, a good strategic racer - she just needed to be humbled, though!

You know, the only downside I can see for you racing with Breakaway is that the orange and white gear doesn't match your typical cute race outfit :( You're gonna have to wear those black tri shorts from now on...

Kona Shelley said...

Awwwwwwwwwww...man you almost had it!! Next time eh!!!

Jim said...

Conrad may have said that James almost got chicked at Snow Valley, but you definitely AMAZONED at Imperial Beach. That girl is huge.

Great race. Don't give up on the cheering, and definitely don't quit posing (its sooooo cute!) You'll have plenty of time to get down and serious. Keep having fun!

Great race, again.

DW & KC said...

I think you should drug test that girl. She is huge! How did she get that big. I fisrt glance of the picture I thought it was a guy - maybe she is a he.

Anyway great race!!!!

stronger said...

The pink looks great with the orange. And OMG she's huge. Not fair when her stride equals your height...

...with your arms extended.

Flatman said...

That's a huge girl...drug test!!! ;)

Good Lord, you are cleaning up this year. Pro next year??? :)

kerrie said...

damn those big swimmer girl types!!! she looks like she eats your kind for breakfast - good thing you didn't say anything in the water.
i think i need to hire james as my race photographer - way to capture the moment.

beth said...

FYI..... I am 5'4".....no, not huge, but gives a point of reference!
Wow, I got worked! Thanks for the funny comments- I love it!

XTERRA 29er said...

Props to you for a great race and to James for some stellar camera work. The best pics from this season for sure. I still can't believe how huge she is.

Paul said...

Oh man that is nuts!! You gotta look over your shoulder more.

rr said...

Oh my god. That is HILARIOUS!! I'm so sorry she got you - but I am laughing so freaking hard at those photos.

I am scared I look like her. Must stop swimming ;)

Awesome race report, Beth. Kick the jolly green giant's butt at the next one.

Ryan Denner said...

attack of the slack(er)! damn beth - you gotta get hungry girl! grrrrr!!

great pics - good to see you out there on sunday, whooping ass, as usual. see u thursday for some brewdogs

jameson said...

i wish I would have seen her trying to sneak up on you.. but you should have never slowed down!

I would have protected you from the bully... but she could crush me too! seriously.

GZ said...

Worst race of my life was one where I ran a mile on the road, and got nipped at the line by a dude wearing a hat made out of freaking balloons. To this day I hear how balloon boy meet me. Nobody remembers my time or anything. Just that balloon boy beat me. And he was wearing a Hawaiian shirt too.

BreeWee said...

YOU win the award for most hilarious photos ever posted on any blog or website EVER in the history of sport!

The helmet had me laughing till I cried, the big swim stud photo with tiny you in the back ground has me laughing so hard I peed too!

I need your humor this week... thanks for making this on my top 5 best ever blog reads!!!

FatDad said...

Hahaha
Oh man, James' Dad is hilarious. And the pics? It's like a 'Where's Waldo' book. Great race and awesome report.

j.p. patrick said...

Hilarious! I'd send that out as a Xmas card this year to all your Tri friends! Great race!

Sarah said...

Dude, Beth...your post seriously has me cracking up still. OMG!! I LOVE the part where you're like:

'and then...THIS happened!'

And it's like 'enter dramatic music'...

Okay so she's probably like 6" taller than you but she does look HUGE in those pictures. Like she's about to eat you for breakfast or something.

And my other fav part is where you're like "where's Beth?"

So freakin' funny. I'm sorry I'm a little behind on blogs, I have to read your other last two posts!

That was some great photo documentation. Thanks, James! Beth, you will get it next time - YOU ROCKED IT! Way to go, woman!

*clap clap clap*

Mel said...

Funny as heck photo's BUT what if she looks you up and see's this she WILL be hungry for you...better watch out....ha:)

Jessi said...

What? I don't know ANY swimmers that can run!! Not fair!

Sue said...

OK...remeber that video you saw on how the little and speedy can always win...you were soooo close..Chloe still wants to be just like you....She ran 6 miles today..you are a great runner with style...

Nikee Pomper said...

Short girls of the world represent! The picture is hilarious! You will get the amazon next race.

See you on Thursday

runninggunner said...

Great race! I would have let her into position as well. Keep up the great work.

Christine said...

OMG Beth! I am dying laughing over here! That might be the funniest thing Ive seen all week (since studying anesthesia isnt really funny). I'm sure you won't let that happen again!

Brett said...

Wow, she reminds me of some East German lady named Helga who runs a massage parlor.

Or maybe that Witch Hazel from the Looney Toons.

triguyjt said...

ohh my god... that last pic of you racing...looked like she swallowed you up....its like..pooofff..you were gone..
great report beth....//////

TRI-ROB said...

I am sitting here. My heart is beating out of my chest and that big fat vein in the middle of my head is threatening to BURST forth from my skull! Why?

I
am
PISSED!

Yes. Tri-Rob is NOT "breathing" right now. All I want to do is trip the Amazon! I'm tellin ya! Next time somebody does that to you at a swim start? Punch them in the neck. Don't gimme that look Beth... you do it... you haul off and punch 'em in the neck.

I'm pretty sure that James and I... the Skinny Duo... could take her!

hee hee...

ok. I feel better now.

Breathe...

Benson said...

Holy Helga from East Germany. She must sleep in miracle grow.

That was a total rookie mistake you will never make again. NEVER!

Very nice new banner picture and nice pose that doesn't look "uncomfortable."
What? no pink color? Has James taken you to the "country" dark side?

GZ said...

HOLY GREEN LANTERN LADY.

I need to get back to the weights so my bi's are at least that big. Dang lady.

GZ

BreeWee said...

I LOVE it, this is the coolest moldy green color I have ever seen and LIKED! I am lovin' it for real! NOW if you would just write something new to go on the fun change... ha ha, hope your weekend is going GREAT!

Jim said...

When you go green, you go GREEN!!!