Sunday, September 7, 2008

dating, hydrating, and recovering...

going on a date!


you know its been a while since you've gone on a real date or to a party when this happens...

so james made reservations saturday night at a funrestaurant and i tried to look cute- meaning i put on heels and actually dried my hair.

as we sat there over a glass of wine, i got a panic-y look on my face for a second and james asked what happened?...well, i felt something hard pressing against my ribs and thought...."oh no, i wore my heartrate monitor to dinner by accident! i'm such an idiot!"...and then i realize....no- i just have on a "real" bra for once" with wires and all. that constricting feeling is the feeling of "bra" that many women feel every day! (typically i don't go bra-less or anything. i just wear these little comfortable nothing things that are more appropriate with t-shirts and such, or even more often (and sexy ha ha:)) a sweaty sports bra...

week 2 (13 weeks out) of marathon training while triathlon training went great. more tough runs and a broken 17-miler today. this was the first time i have ever run based on heart rate and it was awesome! i was surprised at the paces i could hold without blowing up :). the only thing i noticed was how incredibly poorly i can hold heartrate going up even the smallest of hills...need to work on this for sure...

running 17 miles solo is interesting. i wish i could have had some buddies to run with, but it sounds kind of awkward to ask someone if they want to come and run at MY heartrate 160-165 for 3 miles, ease off for a few miles, speed back up again, and end with 7:10 pace for two miles.....etc etc... yeah. so i ran with me and my ipod shuffle and a freaking torture device that holds a water bottle. the run went really well and all was said and done in 2hours and 9 minutes.
this was my first attempt at working with (or against!) some kind of water belt and it was NOT cool. i strapped it to my waist, hovering the water holder on my butt like you are supposed to, but the added 2 lbs to my bottom were NOT welcome. you see, for a small-ish girl, i am soooo not lacking in the butt department and i was not interested in anything else dragging me down those (small) hills. so after a couple miles, i switched the thing to the front so it loooked like one of those snuggly baby carriers, except it was a water bottle and i looked like a tool. which was a bummer becuase i had on a really cute zoot outfit (a cute outfit is ALWAYS half the motivation to leave the house and get your run on. AND a bad running outfit can ruin my runs. seriously..whatever works, right? speaking of, did you see rachel & katherine's cute matching bike jerseys? i want one!) . so the papoose was a major disappoinment.

seriously. i need some help. not out of style concerns, but i can't be pregnant with the hydration pack for the next 3 months. you think i'll be better off with a regular fuel belt? the thought of a camelback does not excite me either- hello sweatback!...you think a regular fuel belt would do the trick? never tried one of those either...this hydration thing is TOTALLY ruining my look. nothin says "running carefree easy breezy" like a tool i mean fuel belt!


post run, the running coach had instructed me to "eat 20g of carbohydrate every 15 minutes for the first hour after the run". he also says that liquids are most readily absorbed at that time. hmmmm....what liquid-ish food do i know and love that has plenty of carbs...and calcium, and even protein and can be easily portioned into little servings???? FROZEN YOGURT of course!..here's my recovery lounge today...96g of fro yo= 20grams of carbs and 4grams of protein...i even weighed the little cups!



other than that, i booked our hotel for vegas!!!!

22 comments:

rr said...

Great run! You need to come run with us. I would run your HR..

The jerseys have a story - My friends make them each year for themselves and some of the friends they ride with. I rode ridge repeats with them for 3 mos. while they trained for a 9 day mountain bike race in South Africa (they are insane, she's an xterra pro;)) and then they gave K & I jerseys. I was so sad when I crashed (ripped the zipper off, shoulder shredded..) but -- they brought me a new one last week. It's my favorite!

So you need to come out here and ride with us, then hit Ingrid up..

BreeWee said...

Nice run marathoner chick! I love reading about running, when it is good running-like yours was today!

AND a date to top it off... man I wish I was in your Asics today (or whatever shoes you use).

And the yogurt! Way to recover :)

Dave said...

I agree with you on the use of the big-bottle fanny pack thing...not fun to run with unless you're pulling 10 mins/mile! Otherwise, I'd have ask what about stashing bottles? I usually leave 2 or 3 out on my long runs. Just make sure they're hidden so that no one messes with them! Otherwise, good luck with the trainin'!

GZ said...

I can't stand the waist bottles either. Drive me nuts. I have been using a hand held bottle for years, and just recently (last six months switched over to the Camelbak). There is some back sweat, although it is pretty arid in Colorado so I think it is gone pretty quickly. I find that it is the most comfortable of the options if I need a good amount (like 70oz) of liquid ... smaller amounts and I will still go with the handheld. I have been really impressed with the low profile of the C-bak and how it does not impact my running form significantly. I have even run with it bareback and it did not leave me chaffed - I was actually expecting to be burned a bit.

Of course ... stashing bottles, or having someone break away from the Bolts game to provide H20 ... that could work too.

Are those recovery leg socks / tights?

runninggunner said...

I can't stand the waist pack bottle holder's. I think I tried about 3 of them before settling on a Fuel Belt. And when I'm going longer than what I can carry in the FB, I have to make the sweaty back sacrifice and carry the hydration pack.

Sweet on booking the Vegas room. I booked it for Fatdad and myself this week as well.

FatDad said...

Nice job on the run. Getting up there in mileage, girl! I run with a bottle belt but only for runs <8M. Camelback for longer ones cause Lucho cracks the whip about fluids and I don't want to have to run loops, hide bottles, have someone meet me, go into the local Starbucks for a refill etc.

DW & KC said...

I hate running belts too!!

I now wear a razor back cut sports bra and tuck the water bottle in the back of the sports bra. So the bottle is a the top of your back/bottom of the neck. It keeps it away from all moving parts and works like a charm for me.

Nice running, you are going to do great in las vegas

SixTwoThree said...

I have a Camelbak waist pack that I use for long runs, but you know what? I think I prefer the regular Camelbak. Sweaty back isn't such an issue if you add ice - it can actually help you cool down. Saw a pro female wear one at Kona in last year's IM coverage. My friend swears by the water bottle holder that you can carry. She said it's doesn't require any muscle to hold on to the bottle with that little carrier. I guess I'm more comfy with the Camelbak 'cause of my mountain biking roots. Now what are those cool calf socks that you're wearing there in the fro-yo picture?

Rachel said...

Awesome date! Funny you thought you were wearing your hrm! Time for some recovery. Nice job on your long run.

Benson said...

Nice date. Funny bra comment.
Nice run and really nice recovery food.
I'll send you some of my bubble-butt to hold up your water bottle. Seriously, I have no problem with my bottle belt cuz I can carry a whole aid station on my ass.

triguyjt said...

the whole bra thingy panic...very funny....
glad you guys had a fun...nice dinner... sometimes, me and the bride just slow down long enough to jump off the life-treadmill...before getting right back on....

Molly said...

Great post and best of luck to you in your challenge. I love yogurt recovery :)

For all... The new Triathlete magazine had a free offer for a recovery supplement, Faster Tomorrow. I have not tried it, and I am not sure I will, but its free so I might. However, I did read their blog and was glad to see that they were not only pumping product, but givening sound advice and tips. Matt Fitzgerald is one of the blogers, I've always enjoyed his advice. Check it out at Faster Tomorrow

jameson said...

I can't take you anywhere!

thanks for taking time out from all the running, biking, swimming, working, packing, unpacking, food making, laundry doing, internetting, and hydrating to go on a date with me!

sorry I "slept" all day yesterday!

Jim said...

Re: Your "Captain Passout" comment..
What do you think I did when we got back from dinner Sunday evening? Maybe it's hereditary, or at least a guy thing.

Roo said...

I had trouble with that stupid bottle thing too! Every time I ran downhill, my butt pushed the bottle out and I had to go chase it! I finally switched to the fuel belt. It does kind of ruin a cute outfit though!

RunFar Arizona said...

I wouldn't pay my registration fees for the Las Vegas marathon just yet. It still looks like the race will not be happening this year, and the last person I want with my money that needed to be refunded is Devine. He has not secured a permit, and still has not raised the capital to secure the bond that the city is demanding due to his past refusal to pay debits in a timely way.

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/26371474.html

Las Vegas is becoming very tired of Mr. Devine.

Roo said...

Yes- someone new to run with! You're probably quite a bit faster than me, but it will do me some good to get my butt kicked!

I'll be at all the XC races except the one on 10/4. I'll be at Longhorn 70.3 that day. Maybe I'll see you at the race this Sat.? It's a fun one!

Paul said...

Fun times!! I've tried every thing and just end up using a hand held bottle. Easy to refill and carry.

I know what you mean about the long runs. Same thing for me; just my ipod and some miles...

Nikee Pomper said...

Hey there lady! I get back into town on Monday. Are you riding these days, or just ripping through 17 mile runs? If cycling is in your schedule, lets ride!

Keep up the great training!

Eileen Swanson said...

Hi,

I just got off the phone with Wee and she said I had to read your blog ;-) Love it!! Great run, wow! Cute date night too ;-)

E

TRI-ROB said...

I HATE my under-wire bras???? Seriously! My man-boobs can't TAKE it... no mater HOW perky they are!

Breathe....

p.s. FYI... marathon training is just plain SILLY! Take it from an OLD guy...

Rob-ie-YO out! (did I spell that right?)

Christine said...

You should just take money with you and plan little stops at places you can buy water. Then again..that would mean stopping...whats worse? being pregnant with hydration pack..or stopping for a sec? Maybe try planning around water fountains. We plan our runs to include schools and hotels that have water fountains. Also you could strategically drive and hide water bottles in areas. Just some ideas.