Sunday, September 21, 2008

yes, i am aware that i am crazy.

this past weekend, i found out what normal people do on sundays...see, i twisted my ankle on friday and it was kind of swollen and things and a full day off was "recommended". by recommended i mean mandated while i cried (yes, really) about "wasting" a sunday . i tried to negotiate a swim and a ride, just no running, but lucho was not having my bs. he told me and my crazy face to chill out. i swear, james just wanted me to get a coach because of these kinds of days becuase it was officially out of his hands...he LOVED it that i had to listen to someone else and shut up. and it's not even that i mind days off- i welcome them during the week, its just hard when the week is SO PACKED to have empty space that could go to such good use!

i even asked lucho, "what do normal people without kids do on sunday?"
he said, "sleep, drink a beer, watch football, watch movies.."


hmmm....i did sleep in (until 7:25! that was HUGE!). but, i don't really do movies (too much ADD and i have some weird movie narcolepsy), and football=not my thing. in our house, i only really like "watching football" because james and i have a deal that when he watches sports, i get computer amnesty! i love computer time! like right now, the chargers are on Monday Night Football, so i can blog and email and geek out all night long without james giving me a hard time and telling me i like my computer more than i like him...and it's not that i do, its just relaxing to me and i don't like much about tv so its my mindless activity of choice.
like tonight. i got back from work about 5. got on the trainer at 5:30....did a tough 90 minute workout w/ plenty o' intervals, took a shower, made dinner and now i'm sitting at 8pm for the first time not working or working out since 5am (masters swimming this morning and i ventured into new lane territory and swam with some faster kids!)...and bedtime is in one hour...
and if i may continue my digression (i MAY! it is my blog after all)...here is the trainer workout i just did. my awesome boyfriend put it together just for me with my upcoming race this weekend in mind and wrote it on the whiteboard above the tv/trainer set up for me all ready to go! i LOVE him.



okay, back to sunday...digression OVER! so...on sunday, I had to fill it up with all the empty space...with ankle "friendly" activities....here's how i did it:
  • got a manicure/pedicure (which is not as fun when you have to listen to the vietnamese ladies talk (oh, i KNOW you were talking about me...the pointing gave it away) about how bad your toenails are (look, a black one AND a missing one!)


  • did 3 loads of laundry and ACTUALLY FOLDED IT ON THE SAME DAY (that's a first i think. i am minorly domestically disabled)...
  • caught up on my journal reading for work/school
  • did a little core and arms session in our gym dungeon (i sat on the ball when i did the arm stuff...really!)
  • got the car washed...so pretty and shiny! and the wash guys found 2 pairs of my "missing" sunglasses!
  • made 3 batches of granola for james while he was at his race (where he did awesome!)- his favorite pre-ride snack....two new flavors...the best one was chocolate cranberry almond one made with Navitas Natural cocoa powder (some stuff james bought after reading his man crush simon whitfield's blog and he had lots of Navitas stuff)...for this granola, i also used pureed cottage cheese as the "liquid base" with just a little honey...this added lots of protein and reduced fat and sugar as most recipes go for some kind of brown sugar/veggie oil/honey/maple syrup combo...next time i want to add a little molasses. i think that would be good.

  • i also went grocery shopping and made a new ceviche recipe....pretty much mexican style ceviche with shrimp and red snapper....this stuff is good - we eat it in butter lettuce cups..

so after my long day of good work for the J&B team, james came home from his race pleasantly surprised...and then quickly said to ignore him when i wake up in the middle of the night and he is twisting my other ankle...

18 comments:

Flatman said...

Ha...! I was thinking that he prolly liked that you were injured... :)

kerrie said...

wow, that was a total ADD post! are your nails black? mine are right now...i did it myself in all my spare time!
now i'm off to see if you have posted your new recipes on the other blog!

Shan said...

Hey B!

Could you send me those granola recipes? I'm looking for one that uses less oil/honey/maple syrup (too much sugar).

Thanks! :)

Hope all is well!

jameson said...

yeah... watch out I may tweak the other ankle! Thanks for all the awesome food on Sunday... just for that I'll keep the chronic TJ's snack granola out of the house until the offseason.

and... I just want to say thanks to Lucho for dealing with you so I don't have too!!

Sarah said...

Beth, you are TOO funny! And yes, please post the granola recipe.

Sounds like you made EXCELLENT use of your 'rest' day. Hope the ankle is healing well!

SixTwoThree said...

That last line made me laugh big time! You gave me an idea for my winter bike trainer workouts - gotta get a whiteboard which beats reaching over to read my coach's notes again and again. And every time I get a pedicure or manicure, I wish all that pampering came with subtitles because I'm convinced they're laughing at my beat-up feet and bad cuticles too.

FatDad said...

Take care of that ankle and make sure you post the recipe for the low sugar granola over on VO2 maxxed. The first post I ever read on your blog was the granola recipe. I can't find suger free maple syrup (I dont really look that hard!) and would love a tasty alternative.

GZ said...

A couple thoughts ...

1.) your feet are nicer looking than mine but only because you paint your nails.

2.) I am beginning to understand why you have like 17 college degrees.

Keep livin' it.

Benson said...

Great use of forced down time.
Looking at those food pics made me so hungry.

Try-a-thlete said...

I totally agree that the internet beats TV hands down every day. I gave my telly away when the boyfriend/husband moved in (that's just one person btw). Unfortunately he loves watching movies and I love sleeping through them ;-)
Keep up the good work!!!!

Jessi said...

OK, so I love reading your blog and the posts are always so cute BUT... can you please post pics that are in focus? My head hurts. :)

Christine said...

OMG! We sound so much alike! I hate movies..and always fall asleep (always said Id rather be running..or sleeping).I don't do TV either (unless its football..i guess we have a difference there)..but love to just research stuff on my computer. My laptop has been my lover since I started these out of town rotations. We spoon at night! Heal fast :)

Jim said...

Sounds like you are equally as driven as James. Once in a while it is good to slow down and smell the granola :)

Don't rush the recovery. We're all counting on you to kick ass in Vegas!

BreeWee said...

LOVE the nail color, looks fast!

Hey I got a Desoto sports bra and wore it today, totally thought of you and all your model photos for Desoto! Works pretty good too!

And yeah, don't rush the recovery, I paid BIG bucks betting on you in Vegas!

Mary said...

Beth, you crack me up. How's the ankle? What's on tap this weekend? Would love to hang at some point?

Maggs said...

That granola looks good. It would go great with my yummy Kombucha... and hopefully create world peace :-) Hope your ankle heals. You could try aqua jogging if you really must run.

j.p. patrick said...

Damn! Ceviche looks money! I had ceviche at a Latin American joint last night that didn't look half as good. You may have missed your calling!

Elevati said...

Hey Beth,
Love your blog.
wonder if you'd be stoked to share tips for a non-runner chick? am in SD, and member of triclub...and i'm admiring your running speed. also, i'm searching for coach who can get me out of the 8:00 min/mile mode. is there hope for me?
:-0
Tanya