Sunday, October 26, 2008

congratulations james!


in the islands.....
after 11 months of work, james achieved one of his dreams and won his age group at the xterra world championships in Maui today. He also managed 2nd amateur overall, edged out by a 23-year old frenchie. i had a blast cheering from live feed on my computer back in cali and am very proud of his accomplishment. i can't wait to hug the champ!

okay, i know this is blurry (my iphone sucks with pictures and my real camera battery charger is lost)...but if you look close at the text updates on the right- the bottom says "top amateurs" and mentions James in 2nd on the run.

it's probably pretty clear if you have ever read his blog, but james is razor focused, incredibly hardworking and consistent as they come. this alone is quite good, but what really amazes me, his roommate, is that he sleeps far less than 8 hours, is usually in a good mood, cooks for two, cleans for 4 (i count for 3), excels in his full time geek job, and drinks at least a half bottle of red wine every night. [by the way, i always offer to cook, etc, but he gets home first and likes to eat early. i promise i am no deadbeat girlfriend. besides, if you remember , he thinks i may poison his food with trans fats or HFCS].

back on the mainland...
i had qute a little training fest this weekend all alone. the plan was to go to LA to see the pregnant besty and run a trail half marathon. the night before the race was cancelled due to fire danger. THINK FAST, little runner! I remembered my San Diego Track Club cross country team had a 4-miler and i thought that would be the best option. so i made it down to the race. did a 25 minute warm up and ran my butt off! cross country is hard. i ran 4 miles in 23:15. WOW! 5:48 miles! yeah, tright! i talked to the garmin-ified and found out it the course was just 3.75miles, not four....well, 6:12- that's still fast for me on trails (on anywhere)....the race was a blast and i reconnected with some friends i hadn't seen in a while including shannon and christine... i also met charisa who just did KONA and beat me in the race by 10 seconds. AND i met roo, who had a bum foot and couldn't race. running races are crazy. first of all, there are a lot more fast runners at running races than triathlons. 2nd, this particular start was just as brutal as any triathlon swim i have been in, a TOTAL stampede. i went out way too fast to try to beat the crowd to the singletrack. fun times. i like that XC stuff.

today i got a hall pass from a structured long road run and went on a big old trail run in daley ranch

i had a fun group with me for part of the run and finished solo. it was hilly, sandy, hot, slow, hard, and FUN!

if anyone needs salt for their margarita, please feel free to roll your glass on me after a long run.

when the run was over, i came home and added some icing on the pain cake (sorry, that was lame) by riding the trainer for an hour fifteen and doing core work while hooting and hollering at my computer for the xterra champs.

its been a big day. time to go spike my blood glucose at an inopportune hour with some frozen yogurt right before bedtime. i will get james' favorite flavor (peanut butter) and eat it in his honor, aren't i thoughtful?

16 comments:

kerrie said...

i was following to as much as i could - way to go james! looks like he had a solid day the whole way through. the commentating was a little hard to take though :)....i keep thinking that i need to do the double(maybe next year...)

Sue said...

you must be so goofy proud...oh and ya, X-country rocks...and so do you...

Mark said...

I watched the whole thing yesterday and was of course rooting for my boy James. According to the coverage on http://www.xterraplanet.com/news/press_article.cfm?id=2330 he made up about 7 mins on the run - what a machine! SO happy for him!

And you - you little speed demon...good job on your running race :)

SixTwoThree said...

Yaaaaaay James! Super stoked for you and your man. I'm sure you'll give him a huge hug for all of us ;-)

Sarah said...

I am so happy for James! You guys are the cutest team ever!! I followed it for a bit but like Kerrie said, the commentating was pretty bad. I finally just had to wait until it was over and check.

Bummed for you that the race got canceled. :( Sounds like you made it up well, though. Isn't XC so much fun? I love it. You did a great job out there - 6:15 pace is still blazin' on the trails! That's like the equivalent of a 5:40 or something on the road! And it IS incredible to see the caliber of runners that show up for these things. Even though it makes me feel like a slug I enjoy the challenge a lot.

I liked your little 'icing on the pain cake' thing. ;)

FatDad said...

Icing on the pain cake? Wow....
You got a pass on the road run? Lucky. Me and Gunner were at it at 5 in the cold and fog. Way to throw down at the XC!

Charisa said...

YEAH James!!!! Awesome!! Fun to meet you at XC. Hopefully Roo and I didn't scare you when we accosted you at registration :)

TRI Vortex said...

I'm sure that there won't be any more salt for the rest of us as soon as James gets home. That guys is just sick fast.

Roo said...

Oh yeah- loving the headband. I'm so glad we didn't scare you too much. If you're at the champs I'll introduce you to Jesse. Is James on our team? I saw a link to his blog on the BSK site. If so- he'd better be rockin' the headband too!

D said...

I miss XC :(

Maggs said...

Yeah, next year you have to come to Maui, right after you do Kona. You guys need a few week Hawaii vacation!

He had a great race. I was cheering for him even though i didn't know it! I was going to go around at the awards/halloween party and ask every single guy if he was James, but I was dressed like a giant pumpkin (I thought it looked like a peach) and I thought the guys might think it was a really lame pick up line!

Mer! said...

Way to rock James!!!

Beth--you are going to KILL this marathon...is there any type of running that you can't do?? =0....so cool you met new peeps and rocked your impromptu race!!

I need your wisdom for fast legs!!! Awesome job, it's been really cool watching you kick some butt this season...you've rocked!!

Benson said...

Good job on that run. Dang you're fast.

Great race James. Give him lots of kudos from us.

Mary said...

Love the salt picture...I thought you didn't sweat? James did so awesome. Hope you guys are celebrating with fro yo and wine! Let me know what your plan calls for this weekend. I would love to see you at some point!

BreeWee said...

Your man is such a stud! You both might be the cutest fittest couple ever and I bet James will happily lick the salt off your neck!

Frayed Laces said...

Hey Girlie! Thanks for checking out my blog! You're right---we DO have a lot in common (although methinks you will kick my butt in Vegas---you're one damn fast chicka!)