Wednesday, October 1, 2008

ROCKtober 1st

So, I've been junking up the marathon training with triathlons. Last weekend was the OC Tri, and this weekend i have my last race, Mission Bay Triathlon (the first ever triathlon in '78 or something!)....you know what the run master does to little girls who try to junk up the weekend training? THIS:

Wednesday, October 1st
"Special Block" day....
OOOH! Fun! Something special!
well, "Special Block" goes like this:

"AM) Progression run. WU) 3 miles of easy jogging.. relax and slowly build as you loosen. Then run 3 miles at ~7:30-7:45 pace. Then run 5 miles in 35:00-35:50 (7:00-7:10 pace)"

well, i can do that! THEN i see this:
"PM) EXACT same session"
okay, this just got interesting. first of all, i have work. second of all, i've never run more than 19 miles in a day, and this is 22...in the middle of the week! but, honestly, i was kind of excited. i've always been into the "idea" of the double run...lucho warned me i may feel like crap starting #2... but it was actually the opposite! i was ready to go! after run #1, i put on my compression tights under my work clothes (and it was 100 degrees out- God bless A/C!), ate my favorite cereals and went to work. because i'm still paranoid about injury, i decided to do run#2 on the treadmill instead of the road. i put it on .5% incline becuase i was too much of a p*ssy to do 1% like you are supposed to. i thought i might crumble under the pressure and monotony of the tready, but it was the opposite! i felt great and it was fun. i love being able to control my pace and stay efficient on the treadmill- i really surge and slow a lot on the road b/c i'm not too dialed in to my paces yet.....and even better i was at the gym to hit the sauna before i went home.
by the way- i wore my heart rate monitor in the sauna and it went from 85 to 150 in just 15 minutes. crazy...

other than that, there were a couple fun articles from the OC Tri with pictures and "coverage" (if you call the local online news that took quotes from my blog "coverage") of the race. who cares, made my parents proud. they think i'm big time now. and i was just glad they didn't quote me talking smack on fat old guys.
http://missionviejodispatch.com/2008/09/29/mv-triathlon-course-proves-tough-frenchman-wins-overall-sds-gerdes-tops-women/

and

www.amateurendurance.com

the splits from the OC Triathlon were also posted. somehow i had the fastest bike split in my AG(huh? i know people say its all about the "engine", but i've got to admit- i certainly never had the fastest bike split on my Orbea road bike...thanks Hi-Tech Bikes and team Breakaway!) My run was best of all women by a couple minutes i think...i had the 20th run of about 700 including the men, so i was really excited to see that i am making progress and am getting relatively faster!

alright. thanks for listening to me talk about myself. it's BEDTIME! Happy Rocktober to all!

actually, not about me....mr. james is headed to tahoe this weekend for Xterra nationals. i can't go becuase of racing conflicts, but i wish more than anything that i could be there. i LOVE watching his races and this one is really important to him. i can't wait to hear about how he crushes it....i know he will.

15 comments:

kerrie said...

ha ha first comment ;)

kerrie said...

and the second one too! i am so impressed that you nailed that workouts...you are going to be TUFF - fatdad better watch out!

jay said...

congrats Beth! Way to beat the boys!!! (with the exception of a few :))

GZ said...

BG - way to hit the workout.

I hear you on the treadmill. Once you get over the "mental" part of it, it is very welcoming to have it ... dial in the paces, have all your drinks there.

Nice work. Back to back like that in the same day - impressive.

Jim said...

Once again, Congrats..

With this type of publicity you won't be able to sneak up on anyone ever again. They will know you are a force to be reckoned with.

Keep up the good work.

Todd Hatfield said...

2 thoughts- OMG that article is so BIGTIME and October rulez!!

Good luck this weekend! My GF was disappointed that she wouldn't be able to meet you in Tahoe. Anyhow, maybe next year...

jameson said...

i'll forgive you for not coming to tahoe with me... but you'll be missed for sure.

i know i tell you all the time, but, the way you are handling (and killing) all of your workouts, along with work, and putting up with me is blowing me away!

Jessi said...

Hmm, that's an interesting pic of the men's winner exiting the water... I bet he's not sending anyone links to that article!

Mark said...

CONGRATS you stud!

Courtenay said...

awesome reading about your races and progress...
anyway, i live in incline village. i am stoked for xterra simply because finally i have some like-minded people in town, AND they are not all like 65 years old ;) what's james' last name? is he racing pro? where is he staying? does he need any help with anything? i will definitely cheer for him!

have a great weekend,

courtenay

rr said...

That run day sounds awesome.. I want to train for a marathon without a dumbass loser 112 mi stupid bike ride first. Did that sound bitter?

Love the coverage stolen from your blog.. the media is totally stalking you!

Have a great one this weekend.

Sarah said...

GO BETH GO BETH!! I'm going to steal a James phrase - you're killing it!

I'm so glad you felt great. I really think FatDad has got to be shakin' in his shoes right now...

Have an awesome weekend and go rock your tri! AND GO JAMES!!!!!!

BreeWee said...

Beth! I am doubling my $$$ on you, no doubt you got this going for you... the ability and the heart! All you chica...!

That sounds like most incredible run ever...thanks for sharing the excitement with us!

Jim said...

No sherpa this weekend. Have a great race. Can't wait to hear how well you do. I talked to James tonight and he seems to be relaxed and ready. I know you are ready too. Here's to both of you having killer races.

Fe-lady said...

I just love it when talented age groupers such as yourself knock the socks off of the "elites"! Keep up the great work!