Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Rocktober continues

i would tell you about the minor ankle injury that took me out for a day or so, but i really don't want to be showing any sort of weakness to the "competition" at this late stage in the game. well, that, and it would be boring.

SO, let's talk about how i'm fine now and i'm going to see one of my best friends this weekend up in LA...she is 9 months preggers so it will be a real treat. we are going to have some dinner and an early bedtime because that is my normal friday night bedtime and she is 9 months pregnant so we are finally on the same level.
then i'm going to wake up for a very fun xterra trail race. last year, i ran a bunch of the races and won my age group for the series. the races were a blast- totally home grown and mellow crowd, but you never know who would show up from heather fuhr, to sam mcglone, to conrad stoltz...

so, this saturday i'm racing the Boney Mountain 21k....i told my coach that it's a little hilly...and it DOES have "mountain" in the race name, so i wasn't hiding anything...



so it's not an ideal "race prep" race for my marathon considering the "terrain", but i am really excited to just go out and have fun and a good race experience. also, i'm not complaining that w. the warm up and cool down, it will subsititute for a solo long run. i am sneaky.

the real tune-up road race will be the silver strand half marathon on 11/16.
at the start of '2008, i wrote down just three goals . normally i don't do this kind of thing, but i got a training peaks account and they ask you to do it. these are mine:

1) stay injury free and healthy,
2) run a half marathon under 1:30 and a 10k under 40:00,
3) complete a half ironman and olympic distance triathlon.

we're not going to discuss #1 yet because its (happily) still in good progress. #3 happened- check! as for #2, a marathon wasn't on the list because honestly, at the beginning of the year, there was a big "if" on what the year would hold considering a broken 2007. I tried to accomplish #2 at Carlsbad Half Marathon in January (1:30:13- d'oh!) and the only road 10k I ran this year (St. Patty's Day) was exactly 40:00...so this is a goal in progress. I'm confident I can run under 1:30 in 3 weeks. In January, I trained for the Carlsbad half on a just healed femur, running no more than 4 times per week. I had also never run a half marathon, so I had some pacing "challenges". I'm pretty sure I'm more prepared this time.

other than that, my chicken is heading to Maui and i am really bummed to not be there. next year, we are planning better for sure. it's just not right! i should be there! go JAMES!

8 comments:

Matt said...

Boney Mt. is a beast so good have fun . . it'll actually give you a little glimpse of that Mt. range that stretches to the coast and there's ridick trails throughout. Boney is sick.

I ran a 1:30 at Silver Strand in '06. It is flat and fast. You will crush 1:30.

Boney Mt. and Silver Strand. It's like Obama and McCain. . . .

D said...

You missed your Ironman in your goals... oh, that's for '09 isn't it. I don't want you to forget when you make your list for next year ;)

katie b said...

good luck Beth! i know you'll kick ass - and that #2 goal...in the bag :)

GoBigGreen said...

Hey good luck! You are just a "pup," lotsa time to meet those goals and really take it from someone who spent a good portion of her 30's injured..your goal to remain healthy is by far the most important.
Then again now that I am in my 40's I am READY. ( and smarter!)
Cool that your dad went to DMS!
GOBIGGREEN!

triguyjt said...

good luck on besting those goals you have set...although you are so so close...

I love your new header...cool shot of you on the track..

Jim said...

Have fun at Boney Mtn. Too bad your schedules conflicted. You two should be together this weekend. We'll be cheering for both of you.

Sarah said...

I'm cheering for BOTH of you this weekend! Hope you have a great time and kick some butt. :)

I have no DOUBT you will reach goal #2 no prob. Can't wait to see what NEXT year's goals are going to be!

TRI-ROB said...

I have been remiss Beth... that is a FABULOUS haircut ya got there!!!!

Breathe...