Sunday, October 5, 2008

triathlon season 1 ...CHECK!.

first, a huge congratulations to james....my little skinny chicken fought in the cold (and altitude!) and was 2nd in his AG at the Xterra National Championships in Lake Tahoe, CA. this race has historically been his WORST, so this year he decided to suck it up and that he did! i am so proud of his improvement and i know this is a good indicator of what he is capable of at the Xterra World Championships in Maui, HI later this month. Everything that Tahoe is, Maui isn't...which makes it a perfect race for james. Tahoe is altitude, cold, long descents on the bike and a flat run...Maui is heat, hills on the bike, and hills on the run. james territory. too bad i won't be there. actually a touchy subject becuase i want to go BADLY, but spending $1000 on a plane ticket for 3 days in Maui is just a little (lot) much right now. sucks since he is such a great supporter at my races, but mine we DRIVE to.


today i wrapped up the triathlon season with mission bay triathlon. i did a little research and this great article on the history of triathlon came up...super simple read..from mission bay to hawaii to ITU. the race is one of our bigest local sand diego events, selling out months ahead at 2000 people. my AG was the biggest i've seen at any race- 120 age 25-29! my wave started at 6:45 am. seriously? come on, that had to violate some kind of child labor laws as there were tons of high school volunteers out there.


the pre-race was a bit of a cluster since my tri caddy was off racing on his own.... i found that pumping disc wheels (with something called a crack pipe- really) is impossible with one person and what was even more difficult is that i don't know how to use the coffee maker or the alarm clock! now, before you go thinking i am some helpless little thing...i SWEAR he does not let me touch these things. there are certain things that Beth is not allowed to do. they include: set the alarm, make james lunch without 100%supervision, make coffee for the morning (i'm allowed at other times), put away the groceries (we have two fridges and one is for some stuff, one is for other stuff and the appropriate placement is VERY important), grill the meat/fish/chicken, make him water bottles....so it pretty much sounds like he thinks i will poison him or cause him to oversleep. i think he's afraid i will put butter in his water bottles and make him fat.


i'm not complaining. these are all jobs i am very happy that i don't have to think about and i can't tell you how much i appreciate hot coffee every morning. and i'm not calling him a control freak or anything, you can make your own call on that one.


oh look at me, start out all nice "great race, babe!" then i go and throw him under the bus. oh well. sorry, babe. just typing. i told the fingers to stop but they wouldn't. (they don't like you!)


anyhow. i made it to my race (james was surprised) on time for a warm up(even more surprised he was)...

no big race report here. just basics

swim (1/2 K): swam alone behind the front pack. i did kind of feel like a real swimmer (thank you coleen and hux, my masters coaches!) i was definitely more in the faster than slower bunch. and the swim was long for sure.


ride (15k): rode fine, maybe a little flat, nothing blazing. lots of quick turns and puddles. i chose life over aero. good call. there were some spills.

run (5k): ran okay. i think i ran 19-something for the 5k. word on the tri street was this was a tad long too, but who knows.

on mile 2 of the run, i passed a really fast swimmer girl i see at Encinitas YMCA masters swimming (she swims in the fast lanes and didn't know me becuase i'm in the depths of lane 5..i had also met her once on a bike ride, but i was "off the back" as they say so i saw more of her than she did of me). anywho..., i was glad to pass Molly because i know how strong she is.

but even better, we made friends at the finish- Molly is awesome, i can't WAIT to train with her! we ran a 30 minute cool down together and we have a lot in common. me and Molly with our silver and bronze:

i ended up 2nd AG/120, 8th overall female(w/ elites)/800 or so.
w/ coach felipe! team breakaway was in full effect!

the course was such that you never once loop by your competition, so i was clueless as to the standings until they were posted. i talked with the girl who won my AG. this was her first triathlon. granted, she broke swim records in college and has run marathons (oh, yeah, i googled her. so what?), it was still her first triathlon. how annoying for her to be good right off the bat. how could i let her beat me? i said this to james. he said, "how do you think people feel about you when you come in ahead and they've been doing it for years?". he's right. good lesson learned. i am officially stopping the "who? me? oh, i just started running last year! i broke all my bones and look at me! this is so fun!" god, that is so obnoxious.

24 comments:

FatDad said...

hahahahaha....
oh man, that's a great post! I can remember thinking the exact same thing after reading your first race report when I linked over from James' blog. I was thinking "Really? Really?!?!?" Oh, a 40 min 10K, is that good? Blink Blink.
Funny what a difference a year can make.
Great season!

GZ said...

BG - you crack me up. Butter in the water bottles. I have been to summer camp many times but we never pulled that one.

Lots of good nuggets in this post ... I love how there is the LIVE IT in between the lines as well as right in my face.

Maggs said...

haha great post. I'll be sure to cheer for James in Maui. I'm headed over to watch (and drink beer).

Matt said...

You guys need some sort of pro gig so you can get folk to fly ya. Isn't that what happens? Seriously, great year, Beth. Serious talent.
So, yeah, your complaining about that winner is obnoxious. You make it look easy. Now hit the trail . .. run.

Sue said...

OK, you are so good and funny. Just what I needed after a day at DMV, twice... I think I need to sponsor you so that you could fly...hum that is an idea...ponder, ponder...Great job as always

Stephanie said...

James a control freak? No comment, I don't want him mad at me. :) We were going to take turns on the drive home from Tahoe...ask him how much I drove.

Just know it really is not his fault...talk to our Dad. The list of things 'Beth is not allowed to do' and the refrigerator is too funny. I won't let anyone else load my dishwasher...sad I know, but it is genetic, I promise.

Great job this season.

Justin said...

Now that you have a season of asphalt you should hit the dirt! Lets do some MTB riding! You can come out to the local MTB races for "tune ups" like James, drop us a line or set something up with Luke.

SixTwoThree said...

Nice necklace. You wear it well! (I do mean that in more ways than one.) Good job.

triguyjt said...

wow...what a season you had....congrats on many fronts...

heres to an awesome 09 season.....

congrats to james on heading to maui for the xterra..championships.....

even though...

he's a control freak..haha

Sarah said...

At least James TELLS YOU YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO MAKE COFFEE. Matt and I agree that he makes better coffee than I do, yet does he pull me off the job? No!! So then I just get the look that says "I should've made the coffee, huh?" UGH!

WAY TO GO ON THE RACE, GIRL!! Congrats on such a fantastic season. You totally rocked it and I can't wait to see what next year brings for you.

Keep up the great work and keep fatdad shakin' in his boots! ;)

D a v e P said...

Great job Beth!
Oh, and the run was right on if not maybe a tad short (Mr Garmin never lies: I got 3.10 miles exactly).
Seems like racing as an elite next year is your next logical step, right?

Jim said...

Great race. Great season. Great girl. You got it all. Can't wait to see what / who is in your sights for next season. Keep on pushing!

Steph is right. There is some hereditary background for the "control" of the little things that runs in our genes. Blame me, not James. Although, I let Gail handle the alarm. I don't even know how to turn it off, let alone set the damn thing.

BreeWee said...

You might be one of the most fun race report reads ever! Way to top off your season! Now, the 26.2!!!

Enjoy your post-tri season, go butter up some water bottles and set the alarm clock all wrong!

AND way to go to your skinny man! ALL the best to him for a GREAT race in Maui!!!!!!

rr said...

Beth, if you come to Maui I'll come meet ya and we'll force Wee over too and be the best spectathletes ever for James! DO IT.

Nice job.. and yeah, that chick is you, just a short time ago. YOU ROCK! What a season :)

Katherine said...

Soooo, I don't know what's cooler... coming in first in my AG or being metioned in your blog, and for that matter googled. ha. I had to spit out it was my first real tri bc I knew you'd blog about it. Worked. I do enjoy reading your blog...fav blog was the gigantic swimmmer chick story. I am impressed with your ability to train like a maniac and have that constant motivation. Reading about 22miles of running in 1 day made me want to puke. I prefer 12 oz curls these days. Anyway, good luck with the marathon...I expect a fabulous time.

kerrie said...

look at you - you are still on a roll! i can't believe that you aren't a little more tired after that super double fun workout earlier this week....and i can't believe that james left you to get your bike ready on your own! i would put oil in his bottles for sure - he might notice the butter! and i also think you should go to maui - maybe you can get a cheap last minute flight?!?!?

Roo said...

Too funny! I had to laugh at the butter thing. My roommate in college used to put it in hot chocolate to gain weight! I bet James won't let you make him hot chocolate though!

I think your coach is my neighbor. I see him running down the street with people all the time.

Congrats on a great year. I'm still looking for you at XC races.

Otter said...

So the girl is not only fast (and smart and funny), but she is acquiring insight as well! Also it must be tough dealing with control issues, since you grew up in a family without any!

TG said...

Great job Beth! Stoked your loving triathlon so much and doing so well!!!!! Can't wait to get down there so we can all hangout!

Charisa said...

Thanks for your post! We should run together sometime when I get home - your triathlon sounds like it went awesome! :)

Todd Hatfield said...

Mad impressive!

Sue said...

still in Kona, we got some great pics and calves...met up with Kate, she was great as always...

RunFar Arizona said...

Just wanted to drop you a line to say that the people who run the rock and roll marathons have partnered with Devine racing in order to ensure that the Las Vegas marathon goes as scheduled. Also, the event will be the Las Vegas rock and roll marathon starting in 2009. So keep up the hard work, it will pay off!

Dan said...

Amazing 1st season Beth! Getting chicked doesn't even count when us guys see you throwin down times like those. Good luck on crushing the LV 26.2, and I think you should be considering getting Iron in 09!

P.S. thanks for the kind words and encouragement!