Sunday, December 21, 2008

lucky girl

its been a super busy week of holiday fun and anticipation of our big vacation to the east coast. every night there was shopping, wrapping, or parties. one night, i rushed home from dinner, wrapped up some secret santa stuff (people at my school take secret santa VERY seriously, and i didn't want to mess up! i had to be a good santa!) . i was all rushing , had a sugar headache from the day of baked good, and it was cold out. so, i was acting a but grumpy, not exactly your model chirstmas spirit! but i knew i had to make a quick change and go meet our friends at the bar. i was about to go shower and realized i needed to switch the laundry from the washer to drying. since i was running late, i asked james if he would do it. the little jerk said, "you do it." i said, "what?", he said, " you go do it". furiously, i stomped down the stairs to the garage, yelling up the stairs , "you ALWAYS ask if you can help me and the ONE TIME i need your help you won't do it, you are ridiculous..." and then i opened the door to the laundry and found this...oops! SURPRISE!


yes, a full suspension specialized Safire mountainbike just for me! the best christmas present in the world. i couldn't believe it. we had talked about building a used bike from some parts james had and finding an old frame, soi can't believe he went out and did this...and of course found a way to make me look like such a hater when he gave it to me! sorry, babe! you're the best. major merry christmas to me!

i was very excited to test out my new ride, so james planned a little ride out at Lake Hodges on saturday afternoon.
the ride was going pretty well, and i looooove riding the mountain bike. i was nervous i would suck, or cry, or we'd get in a fight becuase i got stuck on a hill or sometime, but it went pretty smoothly!the scenery was beautiful...including this hot guy!

when we were almost back to the car, james hopped off his bike because he needed to fix something on his brakes. he was messing around on the back wheel of his bike for a few minutes (killing time) and asked me to come over to help him out..i went over, and he handed me a ring! the engagement kind! and its beautiful and of course i said, "yes".
way to propose to a girl while she's wearing a helmet! well, although i had been HOPING for this for a long time, after i got the surprise mountain bike, i thought (and told a few people-oops!) that there was no way we were getting engaged soon because he bought me this new bike...very glad i was wrong. he's smooth, huh?

so 2008 has been a pretty great year. but its not over yet! i haven't sat down since yesterday afternoon, trying to get everything all set before we leave for the east coast in the morning- time to celebrate with the families!

55 comments:

SixTwoThree said...

BIG, HUGE GRIN ON MY FACE. EYES MISTY!! As I read this post and got to the mountain bike, I thought 'guess he's not proposing this year.' Ha! HA!!! He got me good, too ;-) I'll raise a glass to you guys tonight. So, so psyched!!

Stephanie said...

The bike was all part of his plan to 'throw you off', it was brilliant.

He probably won't tell you that he was a bit paranoid that he would loose the ring during the ride. I have to admit knowing my dear brother, I was a little concerned about that as well. Ha-ha.

So happy for you guys!

Jamie said...

That is so awesome. So happy for the both of you. Congratulations!

Shan said...

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO stoked for you guys! 2008 HAS been an amazing year for you Beth, and I hope 2009 treats you just as well, if not better. :)

Nice carbon, by the way... ;)

Ryan Denner said...

holy congratulations to you both! enjoy your holidays on the east coast (I will be there as well, under plenty of snow!)

here's to a great 2008!

Fuel-Factor said...

Seriously, what a killer month for you two and it couldn't happen to a nicer couple ( : CONGRATS!!! Enjoy your holiday season together! Much love, Kim

Sue said...

Way cool story and a great way to end your year...you both are going to be grand together...Good thinks always happen to Good people and you are one of them...Merry, Merry Christmas sent your way. Enjoy the family over the holidays...

D said...

Way to go James... smooth!
YAY!

Drew Holmes said...

jdub got a winner!!!! congrats you two

Gould said...

congrats beth! great xmas presents indeed!

Maggs said...

CONGRATS. You guys are so cute together (at least over the internet you are). What a great way to end a good year.

LoveOfShoes said...

Congrats!! Enjoy the trip east, you deserve it!

rr said...

James is such a badass - and you are both lucky!!!! I'm so excited for you - both about the new wheels and the next big thang :) Congratulations!!!!

RR said...

Yea! Congratulations - I am so happy for you both! Good luck with the new bike- and I must admit I am VERY jealous of the pink frame.

FatDad said...

Congrats! That bike is sweet ;)
One more trip to Vegas for the run through chapel?

Jessi said...

Yay! Exciting times! Gorgeous ring! Love the pic of you guys! Although I have to admit the reflection of James' eyeball in your sunglasses confused me. But you guys look SO HAPPY. Congrats!

GZ said...

So, wait - you did the switch the laundry, right? Or did you make him do it?

Congratulations you two. All your wonderful races this year aside - this is in my opinion your PR for the year for the both of you.

Live and love it.

kerrie said...

that is one slick proposal! good thing you didn't flat or get stuck on some hill!!! love the bike...you have a lot to look forward to in 2009 ;)

runninggunner said...

Congrats!!! That is awesome.

The new bike is pretty cool too. Enjoy the rest of Christmas.

Frayed Laces said...

Awww! How friggin adorable! I can't think of a better way to propose! Congrats you two!

Jaakko Hiekkaranta said...

Congrats to both! awesome!

Sherry said...

Oh wow, Beth... huge CONGRATS to the two of you! I LOVE that he proposed to you with a helmet on! Totally perfect!!!

I hope that you enjoy your two VERY special (and beautiful) gifts and I wish the BOTH of you a wonderful holiday season.

Congrats again...

Kona Shelley said...

Awwwwwww that's like the neatest thing i've read in a long time...may you always be very happy...:-))

Mark said...

awww...congrats!!!!!!

Flatman said...

Congrats, you guys!!! This is way cool news...you guys make a great couple!

BriGaal said...

I'm just a stalker who reads your blog - but congrats! What a great Christmas and it hasn't even happened yet!

XTERRA 29er said...

Congrats to the two of you!

katie b said...

congratulations Beth!!!! have a very safe and happy trip out east and come home safe :)

stronger said...

fantastic- congrats to you both!

Matt said...

Congratulations, Beth. Great story.

Happy (happy) Holidays.

Safe travels and here's to a killer 2009!

Jill Costantino said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Molly said...

Wow - congratulations! What a great surprise!

tinaparker87 said...

Congrads! Very exciting...

Justin Mock said...

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

Benson said...

That is so awesome!
Very happy for you two.
Have a very Happy Holidays...and the rest of your lives together.

Charisa said...

Congrats!

Greyson Scott said...

Yeah!!! so stoked for you guys!!! Twin boy and Twin girl are getting married! I can't wait, and maybe now that will take the pressure off us...we have the kids....you get married, its perfect!! can't wait to see you guys!

jen said...

Wow, great story!! Congratulations on the engagement, sounds like quite a guy. :) Happy Holidays.

Dan said...

Congratulations Beth! Looks like you two on continuing on your amazing ride. All the best!

Jim said...

Welcome to the family...

Do you really know what you are getting into? This family can be a little off balance now and then.

Fortunately James has inherited the only the best from each side ;)

See you shortly....

X-Country2 said...

Yeah, I'm a random blog stalker too, but I tried to tell my husband last night about these "adorable internet people who got ENGAGED in a totally awesome way!"

He doesn't get blogging. :o)

brian said...

Congrats Beth!

barndog said...

Life is Good! I take it you won't be wearing gloves for a while.
Congratulations! The bike is pretty cool too!

emkruse said...

Congrats!

emkruse said...

Congrats!

Christine said...

CONGRATS!!!!!!! THat is soooooo awesome! You guys will create perfect little runners..whoa..i'm jumping ahead. HA! Can't wait to see what wedding plans are!

GoBigGreen said...

congrats! A pink MTB AND a ring.
What a great holiday!

Sarah said...

OMG that is the sweetest story ever. You guys are too much. I always look like such an idiot every time I read a "Beth & James Adventure" story because I'm grinning from ear to ear.

I know I already told you, but CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! SOOOOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Jennifer Harrison said...

BETH!
Congrats on your NEW RIDE + engagement! WOW, what a holiday! :)

j.p. patrick said...

Congrats to you both!! You're both so lucky to have found your "twin!" Here's to an incredible '09

TRI-ROB said...

ok. they should be handing out fines for how freakin adorable you two are. I know I'm WAY late with this... but... I'm SO excited for you two. Many, many blessings.

Breathe...

p.s. Is it completely f'ed up that I got teary reading this post? Yeah... that's what I thought. Geesh.

GZ said...

Nah ... not f'd up to get teary eyed.

I told my bride this proposal story (along with the bike story) ... she is not a blogospheromaniac ("Facebook is just stupid!").

Her reply? A grin and ... "nice. He is definitely messing with her but that is nice."

If you can't mess with your soul mate who can ya mess with?

;)

Live it.

BreeWee said...

OH my gosh! I have been gone TOOOOO long from Blog land, now I am back to Hawaii with time to read...

CONGRATULATIONS to you and James!! My heart goes out to you both for an INCREDIBLE lifetime of smiles and love... you are the others better half and a match made in heaven!

Thanks for sharing the wonderful news!

aelis said...

what a great story! best of luck to you both.

thank you for creating this blog window--I always read your blog with a huge grin on my face (and got totally misty reading this one).

Eileen Swanson said...

WOW, Congratulations! And that bike is SO SWEET! I love it!!