Monday, December 1, 2008

T 'n T

(Trot 'n Taper...not the big purple.)

thanksgiving was a heck-of-a-fun-time. we cruised out to palm desert with james' family- how nice to have "family" so close by! i ate way too much, and rallied the crew for a post-meal walk slash stretch!

during the walk, james and i decided that we might be the world's slowest/worst walkers.

T-day was followed by a trip to los angeles to visit my friends' 2 week old baby girl and for james to trot in the Xterra Topanga 15k trail race. i decided to trot too, because i would be there anyway and it was time for one last long-ish run before the marathon thing next weekend. the morning of, i contemplated not doing it. it was cold, and i do NOT like the cold. i like coffee, warm gloves, headbands, the works. i think it was like 50 degrees.


but after i warmed up, i knew it would be a fun time on a fresh course...james would say the trails were epic :). i even warmed up so much i shed the tights in favor of my fave lululemon run shorts.

the thing about racing 8 days out from your marathon is that your jog coach will instruct you to not go over lactacte threshold (about 175 beats per minute for me, but this is an estimate. i had my LT tested 1 year ago before any kind of consistent run training and it was 174).
i contemplated not racing, because i know that i like to RACE. but, i also really love running anywhere new and around people and i thought i could keep myself in check. during the first part of the marathon next weekend, i need to pace myself and start reasonably, EVEN if it feels easy...so this was a good exercise in holding back.

the race was so hilly that i had to walk some of the really steep parts to keep the HR down. around mile 3, after climbing a ton, the course goes into some windy downhill single track. becuase of where i was after holding back on the climbs, i got stuck behind a parade of middle aged men through the narrow single track- for a couple of miles my HR was in the low 140's! I really wanted to bust ahead of the guys, but there was no way around, and i was also worried i would look like a chump if i forged ahead and the trail suddendly turned uphill and i had to stop and walk.

keeping my heartrate below LT also allowed me to cheerfully annoy all my "new friends" along the trail. i definitely did a little too much talking, but races really go slower when you're not giving it all. i even cheered the girl who passed me when i knew i could have stayed with her.

i crossed the finish all smiles and my steady effort and was good for 2nd girl overall. i even made the article/recap, although not the most flattering sentence, "Jessica took home the win for the 15k event, beating Beth Gerdes of Carlsbad, CA by more than 3 minutes.." sweet. you know, i could have beat her. did i say that out loud? oops.

other than that, it's taper time. the last vegas marathon is in 6 days. and it can't come soon enough. i'm pretty ready to get back to the bike and swim thing!...after i crush the marathon, that is...

20 comments:

Stephanie said...

So bummed I slept through the alarm and didn't make it up to cheer you on. If I had known you were racing too, I probably wouldn't have reached for snooze and instead turned the alarm off. Watching James is fun but after Maui, it's kind of like 'been there, done that' haha. Good luck in Vegas!

rr said...

I wonder who talks more in races.. you or me? At Honu next year, we'll meet up in T2 and have a 13.1 mile talk off, OK?

CONGRATS! You are so going to rock Vegas this weekend. I can't wait to hear how it goes.

runninggunner said...

Second place taking it easy? FatDad has his work cut out for him next weekend. Looking forward to Vegas this weekend.

kerrie said...

what a sandbagger you are....talking the whole time and still taking second place. i think fatdad is scared. i know i am.
sub 3:00 in vegas or i don't want to hear about it.

Luke said...

the form on your post-feast/walk stretch is textbook ;^)

congrats on 2nd!!

GZ said...

well done! You are SO SUPREMELY ready for that half in Vegas.

I am curious as to the details of your taper ... I could ask Lucho but he'd probably cite some HIPPA regulation. ;)

50 degrees is COLD? Serious? 50 degrees is PERFECT.

triguyjt said...

got back from florida and my am runs were in the very low 50's...me being a cleveland guy you would figure correctly that I only wore tee shirt and shorts and ballcap....
way to get the second, even though you would have dusted her easily....and way to be humble about it....
you will kick butt in the marathon

Shan said...

Hehehe love this post - and LOVE lululemon!!! I was just at the new store in La Jolla this weekend and had to put a chain and lock across my wallet so I wouldn't buy anything...

I love how you sandbag a race and still get 2nd - I'm going to pick your brain about running before I leave!! :)

You're going to rock that marathon girl! WOOHOO! :)

FatDad said...

That first picture is foreshadowing of what I'm going to look like Sunday night after some post-race cocktails.

SixTwoThree said...

Can't wait to read your next report – or some smack talking with Fat Dad! Isn't it time to amp that up?! Yes, I'm stoking the fires. This should be FUN.

Mer! said...

Ok, so yeah, i'm going with the other posters..sandbagging with talking and pulling out a second place win. NIIIICE.

And a huge "ew" to the "Jessica supporters" from the paper..."more than three minutes" she's lucky you were in taper mode =0.

I got passed by two old ladies while I "power walked" this morning...I hate walking....

SO excited for Vegas for you!! GO BETH!!!

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary said...

Beth! You crack me up! You're my running hero! I am so excited for you to CRUSH Las Vegas...watch out ladies (and gentlemen)!!!!

Pat and I are headed to Sonoma for some wine tasting (lovin the off season). We'll toast to you! Can't wait to celebrate when you're back.

Benson said...

Jesus cripes, you walk the uphills and get second place. Just shoot me now.
You are awesome. Great taper race for you. I cant wait to hear about your marathon.

Good luck.

Nikee Pomper said...

Enjoy your week of taper, you are going to do GREAT this weekend!

I was just a Lululemon toy contemplating on buying a pair of running shorts. Good to know that you are fan of the shorts.

CRUSH IT THIS WEEKEND!

Sarah said...

OMG that had to be the hardest thing ever - reading "even beating Beth Gerdes..." ERRRRRRRRRRGGGHH! I'm annoyed FOR YOU! But you know what...still so impressive that 'taking it easy' you took 2nd. And the real race is NEXT weekend, so better that you kept the ego in check and did what was right for your body. :)

I CAN'T WAIT I CAN'T WAIT!! You are going to rock this!

Trevor Glavin said...

Tear it up this weekend! Can't wait to hear all about it when you guys get back.

LoveOfShoes said...

GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND!! Enjoy the experience and have fun!

Maggs said...

Heck yeah...we all know you could have beat her! Have a great race this weekend. Crush it.

Matt said...

Good luck, Beth. Kill it.