well, the party is over... new year's was a blast and my off season is over. training Day 1 for 2009 started today! nothing says Day 1 like the stench of chlorine from the morning workout that revisits you during the evening sweaty bike session...but before getting into 2009, time to wrap up 2008...
total training time :697 hours (average=13.4 hours/week)
total bike miles: 4565 (average=88 miles/week)
total run miles: 1918 (average=37miles/week
total swim yds: 301,507 (average= 5,800 yds/week)
5 things i'm proud of on the athletic front (besides not getting injured!)...it was a good first season...
1) winning my first overall triathlon (olympic distance)
2) breaking 1:30 in my 2nd half marathon (silver strand 1:28:19)
3) running my first marathon in 3:03:19 (las vegas)
4) AG winner of the San Diego Triathlon points series and Xterra socal Trail Race points series.
5) racing well in my first year as the female team member of the Breakaway Training Elite team...i ended up in the top 2 in my age group in 13 of my 18 races (running+triathlon). Felipe and Luke totally took a chance on me and i was really happy to not let them down.. i think they're even going to let me race for them again next year! more on that later...good things to come for sure :)
5 things to work on (just the top of a long list)
1)swimming .all around. and finding the motivation to do it. 10,000 yds a week. nothing crazy but a definite increase from an average of 5,800/week
2)biking. if i want to be competitive at the half ironman distance, i need to be able to ride 10 to 15 minutes faster over 56 miles. This means holding a speed of 20mph over the distance. Seeing as how my usual bike rides are between 15 (i know, sad, isn't it?) and 17mph, once i get a base going, i need to speed up big time. i also need to RIDE MORE. my jan-march plan includes 4-5 rides per week. 2-3 are indoors because i am not tough like that.
3) a big IF i decide to run a marathon (Chicago or NYC), I want to work on my running to where i could run a sub-3 marathon. i think i can i think i can i think i can.
4) being a much better, more attentive future-wife and friend to my new and old friends. when i'm training a bunch, i tend to want to spend all my free time hanging out at home and cooking and wearing a LOT of sweatpants and getting to bed very early- this makes it tough to interact in an appropriate social manner. i need to get out more , not flake on plans (great at making them, bad at keeping them) and also get in touch with a lot of my awesome friends and family that i sometimes forget to call when i am really tired. also, i need to be nice to james. all the time...even when i am tired...which brings me to #5
5) sleep more. no one wants a sleep deprived grumper-face. especially james. i need to be in bed by 9, to fall asleep by 10 to get up before 5am everyday.
okay. done with 2008. except for these pictures from virginia:
this picture sequence is funny....james teaches Greyson a new trick with the maglite (dad- james totally gave the maglite you got him for christmas away to a baby! how rude, huh? give him coal next year)
Greyson gives it a shot....
Creepy glowing baby mouth!
so all in all, 2008 was an incredible year. quite possibly the best one yet becuase i tricked james into wanting to marry me! i really couldn't have accomplished my athletic goals without my parents, coach tim the jog doctor, felipe and everyone at breakaway training.
and of course....the one and only, love of my life, who can induce this look of pure love and bliss...
next up in 2009, the big graduation from grad school, a goal to break 5 hours in a half ironman, more fun times training with all the amazing friends (like family!) in san diego....and a WEDDING...wahooo! i can't wait.