Saturday, January 3, 2009

2008-how it went down.


well, the party is over... new year's was a blast and my off season is over. training Day 1 for 2009 started today! nothing says Day 1 like the stench of chlorine from the morning workout that revisits you during the evening sweaty bike session...but before getting into 2009, time to wrap up 2008...

this was my training....
total training time :697 hours (average=13.4 hours/week)

total bike miles: 4565 (average=88 miles/week)

total run miles: 1918 (average=37miles/week

total swim yds: 301,507 (average= 5,800 yds/week)


5 things i'm proud of on the athletic front (besides not getting injured!)...it was a good first season...

1) winning my first overall triathlon (olympic distance)

2) breaking 1:30 in my 2nd half marathon (silver strand 1:28:19)

3) running my first marathon in 3:03:19 (las vegas)

4) AG winner of the San Diego Triathlon points series and Xterra socal Trail Race points series.

5) racing well in my first year as the female team member of the Breakaway Training Elite team...i ended up in the top 2 in my age group in 13 of my 18 races (running+triathlon). Felipe and Luke totally took a chance on me and i was really happy to not let them down.. i think they're even going to let me race for them again next year! more on that later...good things to come for sure :)

SO that was the good, but i also had a couple bad races and really learned a lot from them (USATF Cross Country Nationals, racing sick at Vineman 70.3) . XC nationals was THE WORST. I think I came in like 74th out of 81 women and I've never seen so many spectators in my life "cheering" me on. I'll never forget the one who shouted, " you're a winner for just being out there!"..sweet.


5 things to work on (just the top of a long list)
1)swimming .all around. and finding the motivation to do it. 10,000 yds a week. nothing crazy but a definite increase from an average of 5,800/week

2)biking. if i want to be competitive at the half ironman distance, i need to be able to ride 10 to 15 minutes faster over 56 miles. This means holding a speed of 20mph over the distance. Seeing as how my usual bike rides are between 15 (i know, sad, isn't it?) and 17mph, once i get a base going, i need to speed up big time. i also need to RIDE MORE. my jan-march plan includes 4-5 rides per week. 2-3 are indoors because i am not tough like that.

3) a big IF i decide to run a marathon (Chicago or NYC), I want to work on my running to where i could run a sub-3 marathon. i think i can i think i can i think i can.

4) being a much better, more attentive future-wife and friend to my new and old friends. when i'm training a bunch, i tend to want to spend all my free time hanging out at home and cooking and wearing a LOT of sweatpants and getting to bed very early- this makes it tough to interact in an appropriate social manner. i need to get out more , not flake on plans (great at making them, bad at keeping them) and also get in touch with a lot of my awesome friends and family that i sometimes forget to call when i am really tired. also, i need to be nice to james. all the time...even when i am tired...which brings me to #5

5) sleep more. no one wants a sleep deprived grumper-face. especially james. i need to be in bed by 9, to fall asleep by 10 to get up before 5am everyday.

okay. done with 2008. except for these pictures from virginia:
this picture sequence is funny....james teaches Greyson a new trick with the maglite (dad- james totally gave the maglite you got him for christmas away to a baby! how rude, huh? give him coal next year)

james demonstrates...


Greyson gives it a shot....


Creepy glowing baby mouth!


so all in all, 2008 was an incredible year. quite possibly the best one yet becuase i tricked james into wanting to marry me! i really couldn't have accomplished my athletic goals without my parents, coach tim the jog doctor, felipe and everyone at breakaway training.

and of course....the one and only, love of my life, who can induce this look of pure love and bliss...

next up in 2009, the big graduation from grad school, a goal to break 5 hours in a half ironman, more fun times training with all the amazing friends (like family!) in san diego....and a WEDDING...wahooo! i can't wait.

25 comments:

Sue said...

May I just say that you made 2008 an amazing year for a girl named Chloe...thanks from the bottom of my heart...wishing you all of everything for 2009

Luke said...

great work...congrats!

SixTwoThree said...

Ahhhhh, Uncle James is too cute with Grayson! I see the Olympic marathon trials in your future - 2012! Go get 'em :-)

GZ said...

XC Nats - don't feel bad about it. That race is a whole different game. In 06 I got lapped in the 12k by Ryan Hall, Dathan Ritz, Jorge Torres, Max King ... and IT GOT CAUGHT ON VIDEO. And they play that damn video at the team store all the time. That race is ALWAYS a huge serving of humble pie. You think I'd learned but I got it handed to me again in 07 in Boulder and they put the damn pic of Alan Culpepper lapping me in the newspaper.

I love your goals.

I hear you on the being nice when tired. That one gets me all the time ... You have had a rock star year and I appreciate your sharing it here.

triguyjt said...

as the lady said to you...."your a winner for just being out there".... THATS hilarious..

what a year you had...!!!

you have an amazing future in racing...keep chosing those goals and reaching for the stars...

and of course the pending nuptials will be a big big deal as you move forward...

LoveOfShoes said...

ohhhh NYC.... :)

Congrats on a great, injury free year, and what looks like an even better year to come!!

Charisa said...

SLEEP more - I need that one too! Sounds like 2008 rocked!

Dan said...

Welcome back to the both of you. And a big congrats on a great year, and what looks to be a very exciting 09.

Nikee Pomper said...

You are going to rock it in 2009!

I can totally relate to goal #4. I turned into a pretty big flake last year once training and work was in full force.

Good Luck on your Wednesday Night Group Runs!

FatDad said...

Welcome back! Looks like a good time over the holidays. 2009 is going to be huge!

brian said...

What do you mean "If I run a marathon"? Run Chicago. It's pancake flat and with the exception of 2007, the weather is ideal.

Matt said...

Wow: you're a training animal. Really solid. Why no mention of Xterra (tri) for '09? I think you would hold your own and it's on a trail!

Congrats on a great year, especially on the long term stuff :-)

Tawnee said...

Dude, you rocked the training in 08! Congrats, makes me feel like I need to take it up a notch...

What half-IMs are you doing this year??

Also, like I just wrote on James' blog, you guys remind me of how I am: Train hard, but can play hard when the time is right! Looks like you had a great xmas/new year's.

X-Country2 said...

Boys and babies melt my heart every single time. Good luck in 2009!

Trevor Glavin said...

Nice job Beth! I look forward to seeing your progress and doing some training/partying together now that Jess and I live down here.
Keep up the good work

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Wow, that's a tremendous year! All that and grad school too. I'm tired just reading it about it all!

Rachel said...

Just got caught up on your blog. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Eeeek!!! I'm SO excited for you. I love the story of how he made you change the clothes so you would discover the bike. And then proposing on a mtn bike trail---so perfect!

SixTwoThree said...

Oh yeah, it's business time. Gift idea for James:

http://www.velogear.com/prodinfo.asp?number=A+BTS

D said...

Pretty happy I don't have to race you at Honu!!! ;)
You can go faster on the bike for sure. Just learn to love it.
Finally, sub-3 is a breeze for ya. Puhlease :P

RR said...

What a great year, and I know 2009 is going to be even better - Congrats on such a great season!

kerrie said...

you forgot to mention kona after you qualify at honu!
also 4 and 5 are going to get in each other's way - you need to stop waking up so damn early and then you'd get all the sleep you need while staying out late and partying with your friends :)

BreeWee said...

Hey, if you figure #4 out let me know... and YA! Graduation!!! AWESOME! You have had such an incredible 2008 and it has been way too fun to cheer along for you!

see ya (hopefully) in 09!

Nikee Pomper said...

How did the Wednesday trail run go?
It looks like I might not go to the desert after all. If not, I will be doing the CA 70.3 course at Costal Sunday morning. Are you and James doing it?

Sarah said...

You guys are awesome. I have really enjoyed both of your blogs so much this year and it was been so great to come along for the ride. You had such an amazing year and I was so proud of all of your commitment and SUCCESS!!

I hope that if you guys come up this way in 2009 we'll have the pleasure of doing a ride and drinking some VINO!

Here's to an AWESOME 2009 and much continued success...:)

Frayed Laces said...

Geez your social life sounds like mine during the peak of training. At least you got a like-minded man. I'm just a sad single girl who picks hot dates with her compression socks over a man-hunt night with the gal pals!