Sunday, January 11, 2009

i love lululemon & week one season 2







if you've been reading my blog at all since the carlsbad lululemon athletica store opened last year, you may have noticed that i have a minor obsession with all things lululemon. before last year, i always saw the lululemon logo on girls with bendy yogi-bodies and a certain om about them, and felt like a bit of an imposter squeezing my impossibly tight hamstrings into their clothes. but, i did fake it becuase their yoga clothes (meaning my lounge-wear) is sooo comfortable and flattering. and pretty much the only sweats around decent enough to wear anywhere. even out at night. i've done it (seen all those pictures where i am wearing the black pinstripe "coat"? its a sweathsirt. they help me get inventive in my interpretation of dressing up).

last summer, i discovered that lululemon made actual kick-butt running clothes too, including my now-favorite run shorts (i have 5 pairs) and lots of cute tops with little built in bras that help out those in the little boobie club like me. i began to feel more like i belonged in the lululemon club even though i am the girl in yoga class that needs to use the block, strap, ball or any apparatus for the flexibly challenged. they made run clothes, so i was in.

over the past six months, i've been so fortunate to meet (stalk? just kidding :) )and get to know the lululemon team. they are all fired up for 2009 and the goals they are going to accomplish- especially in the running and triathlon world. i'm lucky to be invovled with such an ambitious crew. i am SO into the company focus on goal setting becuase i really believe in setting goals that you or others aren't quite sure you can acheieve. why not? i always set 'em big. go big or go home. oh, and gotta love the lululemon athletica manifesto:

last week, i found out that i am going to be able to represent luluemon athletica as an ambassador for 2009. this means being highly involved (having fun!) with the store, working to inspire and help those in the community reach their goals, and the opportunity to sport their impossibly cute and functional clothing and accessories (have you seen those gym bags?).

another thing invovled with the lululemon ambassadorship is a photo shoot.. this is bittersweet as it is JANUARY! better known as pale-5-extra-pounds-just-off-the-off-season-January! ruh roh! better get back into shape fast.

speaking of getting back in shape. i made it through my week 1 of 2009 training. gasping for air at time, but made it.

3 strength sessions (1 hr of weights/ 1 hr hot yoga)
3 masters swim sessions (9000 yds/3hrs)
5 rides (99 miles: 1 spin class, 1 hill workout, 1 trainer session, 1 longer road ride, 1 mountain bike ride)
4 runs (31 miles: 1hr progression run on treadmill, 1 hilly 45 minute run, 1 moderate hour run, 1.5 hr/12 mile long run)

about 16.5 hours...pretty much what i can take while working full time. and some really fun workouts in there this weekend. saturday i did a road ride with a fun group on saturday and later on in the afternoon we got out with jen and her fiance for a mountainbike ride at lake hodges. james has been AWESOME giving me tips and helping me navigate the trails. i was a little concerned this would be like teaching a 16 year old to drive stick shift or something and we'd fight, but actually it has been awesome. he's been really patient (he always makes sure to tire himself out in the morning before getting out there with me- great strategy for any men out there) .
sunday, i had a fun chatty long run around the ranch with kristen and caroline. the weatherwas beautiful and i wanted to run longer! kristen a getting ready for the carlsbad marathon in two weeks and she's ready for sure- she is lookin' good! but i had to leave and head to masters to keep my promise to myself to make the 3rd masters session of the week. brutal. welcome to january.
i'm bummed for james that the Chargers lost this weekend, but i'm glad to have our sundays back :)...here's a cute picture from game day..unlike the awesome ones he posted of me on his blog. thanks babe! always got my back!

20 comments:

Sue said...

hmmm, maybe with your training and James um, kindof training...you will be kicking his butt this season...but no worries, I am sure the old quy will be come around anytime soon...and looks like he is...

Mary said...

YEA! So happy for you girl (and sort of jealous)! You're such a rockstar!

MJ said...

Weird. I just found out the same thing the other day (you beat me to the blog announcement). I won't look as good in the short shorts, but fortunately they have tons of cool stuff for guys too. And the company philosophy is super progressive.

Congrats!

Sherry said...

Awesome stuff, Beth! I've been trying to get my hands on some Lulu for about 2 years now... but I don't live anywhere close to where it is sold. Wish it was available on-line for all of us stuck out in the quasi-boondocks! LOL! Congrats on becoming a Lulu ambassador. I'm sure you'll give them terrific run/tri feedback!

Jaakko Hiekkaranta said...

solid stuff already!
have a great (lululemon) year!

jameson said...

I think Lulelemon is some kind of cult... but a cool, hot cult. You know I am stoked for you and I know you've earned all this.

sue's right. I need to watch my back next year. I actaully had a dream last night that you were tracking me down in a race. come on foot... heal!

RR said...

That is AWESOME about lululemon! My favorite running/lounging/traveling stuff as well. You have to do some product reviews. I wonder if they have one in Mexico city...Congrats!

GZ said...

16 hours?! Damn.

Damn. Damn. Damn.

I need to step up my game.

Ryan Denner said...

go big or go home - the best line of the post. well done beth!

Shan said...

I'm with ya on the LL - I'm a total lulu-head through and through...except I'm one of those bendy yoga people too-haven't tried the run shorts yet...right now I live in my lulu headband 24/7...

Congrats on becoming an Ambassador! Does that mean you can get your friends some of those hot gym bags for super cheap!? ;)

Keep on keepin' on girl - you are so strong, and I can see that 2009 is going to be an epic year for you.

xoxo

D said...

You know I've been all over Lululemon for YEARS now (being in Vancouver, just comes with the territory). Gotta love all that free gear you're gonna get as an Ambassador!

And Christ, you make me feel like an absolute slack with my ~10 hours of training :(

Sarah said...

Way to make some of us feel like slackers, Beth. Thanks a lot. :P

ANYWAY, I think it's so great you're into Lululemon. I should try their stuff. When they first opened their store in Berkeley a couple years ago my housemate at the time was an ambassador and got all these clothes but I had never heard of it so kept saying "are those your lemon-lulu pants?" He always laughed. It took me forever to get it.

Congrats on being on the team and somehow I think you will still look hot, extra 5lbs and all.

I'm going for 3 masters workouts this week too! Woo!!! You go, girl! go go go!

Jill Costantino said...

I'm salivating over your Lululemon gig! That's fantastic and fun! Woohoo - they have such great stuff. If you ever are doing stuff in Vancouver for them, let me know.
And Holy moly on the first week back 16.5 hrs. WOW!!!

FatDad said...

hahaha....lululemon is NOT dressing up. But whatever you need to tell yourself to feel better about wearing sweat pants out for dinner! You know that gives James the same priviledge too, right?
Solid post, welcome back. Great first week.

brian said...

Congrats Beth! Best of luck with the lululemon gig.

TriStyleGirl said...

Congrats! I'm so jealous! I LOVE lululemon!
They just opened a store in NYC right near my house, so I've been spending too much money on cute running gear:)

TRI-ROB said...

I've been wracking my brain trying to think of a better ambassador and you know who I came up with???

Absolutely NO ONE! They made a GREAT pick in you girly! Have a AWESOME time with it!

Breathe....

BreeWee said...

I have never seen lulu clothes in real life, only on you and Rach in fotos... BUT I love that tag...

congrats on the support!!

Trevor Glavin said...

Nice job Beth...keep it up!
We all need to hangout soon!

X-Country2 said...

They really do have adorable stuff. Sounds like a great crew to be a part of in '09.