Sunday, February 1, 2009

xterra mission gorge, picture-esque, and ironman sandwich

LONG ONE, so i'll break it down.
chapter 1: usual randomness
chapter 2: xterra mission gorge 15k trail race


USUAL RANDOMNESS
its been a pretty great week. lots of pictures ahead. the weekdays happened as usual and the wednesday night run club at lululemon carlsbad is really taking off. ...and how cute is this up on the wall in the store? its totally true. if you are a single guy- come on out. its where its at.

the week flew by, and included my birthday (#29!) . i was most lucky to have some wonderful birthday wishes- thank you, everyone! all these internetters really make it look like i have a lot more friends than i do in real life!
saturday was the best. i wore my new birthday bike knickers and twin six jersey (thanks, james!) on a 60-mile coastal ride through camp pendleton. i pushed so hard on the way back -mary pulled me and two other girls for 20 miles and it took everything i had to stay on her wheel going 25mph through camp p. i really surprised myself being able to push so hard, but was bummed when we got back to the cars at 50 miles and hadn't had too much lollygagging chatty girl time. so, mary and i tacked on 10 beautiful sunny miles full of therapeutic catching up- we're separated at birth and its nice to chat and have so much in common. some girls shop. we ride. (and then shop) .
after the ride i had a billion errands to run. one of which included stopping at apple becuase my iphone was busted. so i'm sitting at the genius bar and i hear a tasty australian accent next to me. i look over and there is this guy wearing an Orbea jacket and he has a mega sunglass tan....hmmm..its only the Ironman World Champion, Craig Alexander!!! I proceeded to be a total geek and probably scare him. it was one of those times i was glad i was wearing an engagement ring becuase otherwise he would have thought i was some creepy tri chick trying to hit on him and he's very married. i told all the apple employees who he was....hope he didn't mind...and then i asked him to tak a picture with me...couldn't help it. good thing i was looking my finest all unshowered from the 60 mile ride in my hot pink do-rag:
it was hard to tell if he thought it was cool that i was so into meeting him randomly in the apple store or if he was over it. i think that if you are Craig, maybe you don't get recognized ALL over the place, so it's kind of nice to be recognized? hope so at least. its weird becuase i lived in LA working in PR for 4 years and met and saw every celebrity and never cared or asked for a picture or autograph. oh, and that lululemon sweatshirt i am wearing above...JUST bought it and lost it today at the race...i'm so angry at myself- so silly and such a waste....speaking of the race today

XTERRA MISSION GORGE TRAIL RACE-15k.
ok. this was my second time doing this race and i raced 9 minutes faster this year on the same course. but, last year i had just come back from "re-breaking" my arm falling off the trainer so i probably played it a bit safer on the crazy downhills and the conditions were torrential last year, but perfect today.

the race goes up two peaks in mission trails regional park...first there is south fortuna:

and then north fortuna- with the famous '1,000 steps' (or famous by mission trails park standards). anywhoo, to get up the face of this climb, there are steps carved into the rock face. its pretty intense




james garmined it today and here is the elevation graph. you can see the second peak is pretty much straight up. ouch!

as usual, i got pretty worked/dropped on the climbs, but held strong through the flats. from the second mile or so, i never saw any women. one was ahead and the rest were behind. the results: an former-ironman-world-champion sandwich! check it out!
i guess this was my weekend to get close with past ironman world champions. heather fuhr dominated as usual, but this year she ran 4.5 minutes faster than me. last year she ran 10 minutes faster than me. i was 4.5 minutes ahead of the 3rd woman (PNF) so the race was pretty spread out.
post race was good times in the sun. i met a super nice girl named gloria who said she reads this blog- HI GLORIA!!!! it amazes me and means a lot to me that people actually read my crap and i really love meeting these people who are always so awesome.
i also had a great time just hanging out with my hot future husband.....


waiting for awards and haning out with our trail running friends...there's that darn pink do-rag again!
that's pretty much it. we hit a superbowl party at brent and rachel's and now am relaxing, preparing for the week. happy february!

30 comments:

rr said...

You are a stud. Maybe someday that result will be an IM world champ trilogy instead of sando??

And I love that you ran into Crowie at the genius bar. He's a doll. At least the cute lulu sweaty was captured for prosperity.. with the world champ.

Congrats on your smoking run!

rr said...

PS. Don't make fun of my boyfriend Jimmy!

Jaakko Hiekkaranta said...

I'm so jealous about that pic w/ Crowie! Maybe I should come to the girl chase run and also meet other tri-superstars :)

Way to go on the run race too. Congrats. Not bad company to be sandwitched in!

GZ said...

That is a frame-able result if I ever saw one.

GZ said...

Two other thoughts ... "tasty accent?" ... and JW has got a new buzz haircut?

Luke said...

dang!! mixing it up with IM champs...nice work!

kerrie said...

nice sandwich!! next time you need to take that heather chick out.

as for C.A., that is just another reason to move to boulder cause you could take those pictures daily....or at least come for a summer training camp :)

Maggs said...

I am so glad to know I'm not the only one who's broken her arm falling off the trainer.

Awesome job on the race!

BreeWee said...

OH MY GOSH! What a run Beth, amazing, this year you have me all fired up following your tri/run adventures...

Okay, so on the results I saw Heather then you then PNF and you know what...you are so going to be one of them!

Happy late birthday hottie, and Antonio says HI... ha ha

BreeWee said...

And I agree, frame that result!

MJ said...

Pretty awesome result! Cutting that margin in half in 12 months is pretty impressive too....

In another year you'll be the bread on top of that sandwich...

Pedal Circles said...

Congrats on the run!! Looks like it was gorgeous out there. Great post-bday weekend for you!

j.p. patrick said...

You're such a studette, I can't even stand it! Love the pics. Mr. James and Mrs. Beth Style-y!

jameson said...

the best part of the sandwich is always what's in the middle... right?

are you ever going win one of these races? you know i am kidding... you make me proud, champ.

D said...

I'm so jealous of everything in that post. You rock!!!

LoveOfShoes said...

Is the pink headband Lulu? I finally caved and got one of the Remix hoodies this weekend.

Eileen Swanson said...

sweet, you super stud! way to go! love the pics and the pink do rag ;-) cute! HA! sorry about the lost lulu sweatshirt!

FLATOUT JIM said...

OOOH OOOH Look Right Here and scroll down just a little. Taken at the awards bamquet at the Ironman Newfoundland 70.3 in Corner Brook.

This was taken after I embarrased myself by handing him my wifes lipstick instead of a pen to sign my copy of Road to Kona.

X-Country2 said...

Great race, and even better celeb score. He's certainly a hottie!

Shan said...

Dude, way to kick some major @ss - great weekend! I've gotta try to get up to one of your Weds night runs - they sound like a great time!

LaurenJenelle said...

Do you ever scare yourself by how much you improve each race?

Everyone should come Chase Cute Girls on Weds. at 6 at lululemon Carlsbad. I'll be at the head of the pack (chase me).

SixTwoThree said...

Way to go woman! That's awesome. And yeah, if I bumped into Crowie at the Genius bar, I would've looked like a complete stalker too ;-)

Tawnee said...

Got an e-mail from Xterra, browsing through, then I see YOUR NAME in between Heather Fuhr's and Paula Newby-Fraser's. Then I read your blog. Wow, congrats! You rock! That's quite an accomplishment...

Mary said...

B - Had so much fun on Sat. thanks for listening to all my venting :) You killed it on Sunday! I'm so proud :)

PS - I ended up doing what I said I wouldn't...spending too much money at lulu and free people...

Roo said...

After reading the Craig story I'm not quite as embarrassed about the day I accosted you at the cross country race!

Benson said...

I'm
Not
Worthy.

Priceless.

Zach said...

Great race and congratulations on the improvement over last year (not to mention beating PNF).

Broke your arm on the trainer? I suppose stranger things have happened.

Also - Happy Belated Birthday!

SixTwoThree said...

There's a present for you on my blog!

Sherry said...

Amazing... as usual!

Happy 29th... and thanks again for the Lulu help. :o)

Sarah said...

oh. my. god.

YOU KILLED IT!!

And YOU MET CRAIG ALEXANDER!

Sorry about the lulu shirt though. :(

Beth...I'm all smiles right now. You really ARE going to have an amazing season. You GO, GIRL! GO GO GO!!