Sunday, March 22, 2009

march madness...weddings and ironman

it's a good thing last week got off to a good start becuase it sort of piddled and puddled with a little burst of light at one point. monday through thursday were solid training and i was able to get over 10,000 yds in the pool by thursday which is big for me. i felt like crap in the pool last week, which was a bummer becuase things had been going well and i even thought i had moved into the 1:30 lane, like for good. until last week. both tuesday and wednesday i swam in the 1:35 or 1:40. i just couldn't hang. i was tired. i'm hoping next week is better.

thursday we got in the workouts early and hopped on the plane. we got to palm beach late late thursday night and friday was filled with brunches, rehersals, and all, so i just squeezed in a quick (but it was slow) 30 minute jog to keep things moving. nothing fancy.

here we are after the rehersal dinner..the bride, me, and remick...friends for over 20 years!



saturday was the big wedding day! i jogged a few miles (from west palm beach to palm beach proper) to have breakfast with the bride and then james met up with me for 12 miles together for a total of 15 flat WINDY miles in 1:52 around the island. my plan was to keep up with james for a few miles and then drop off, but after a bit (well after i nearly puked up the granola and yogurt i had just eaten way too much of), i got in a zone and just hung on a few yards behind james for the whole "ride". he was wearing his nike lunar trainers that have huge flourescent yellow soles so i literally stared at them, hypnotized, for over an hour while we clipped off 7-minute (and a couple at sub 7) miles. that was some serious focus- harder to focus on maintaining the pace than to actually physically maintain it.

it was funny- after the run, my friends were asking how it was and commented that we had been gone a long time to be running, etc. but the most interesting thing was that i'm used to running behind james- letting him do his thing and surprising him every 10 minutes when he turns around (hey! look at me! still here! 10 yds behind you! you can't get rid of me!). but after describing the scene to my friends, i guess it is a little odd that we don't run "together" and passersby must think that's weird for him to run ahead of me, while i'm barely hanging on by a thread. in all honestly, its how i prefer it. i like using him to sight, pace, or wind-block when i am close enough. i also like to not have to talk to him! keeping up with james is not super comfortable for me, so the ipod is a much better choice than shoulder-to-shoulder silence with an occcasional comment. we live together so its not like we have lots of catching up to do when we run together like when i'm with the girls. i guess my friends just thought it was odd. i guess it kind of is.

after the run, it was pretty much time to get going for the wedding. it was an amazing wedding and the band was UNREAL. the dance party was in full effect. unfortunately, we had to wake up for a 6 am flight- we actually had the same cab driver as he was still on duty from the few hours ago when he dropped us off at the hotel after the soiree. YUCK!

when we got home sunday afternoon, i spent the rest of the day finishing my graduate school portfolio (which is like this competency deal-io for my EdS ( non-phD but beyond a masters no man's land degree i am getting)...so life took over. this might be the first sunday i didn't exercise in over a year! the weirdest thing is not showering! i usuallly shower 2x/day directly after workouts. yesterdayi realized that if i don't workout- no shower!!! lucky james, huh?


oh, and i did something crazy and signed up for ironman st. george in utah- May 2010- for anyone who might read this far that's not into triathlon (unlikely)- that's 2.4miles swimming, 112miles biking and a full marathon (26.2 miles). i don't want to be lame and say i did it becuase all my friends were doing it, but its a little true. the thing is, all my friends did sign up. and i realized i would be doing all the long rides with them anyway (becuase who else would i ride with? and my friends are FUN!!!) so might as well? no, i really want to do an ironman at some point and this is the one for me. it's in St. George Utah, which is one of the favorite places i have ever visited- and actually was one of my first blog posts ever in 2007.. so funny to reread it for me- looks like the course will go on some of the same roads i rode. that post reminds me of how little i knew. i was a total dumbass on that trip and rented a mountain bike (with clip ins) having NEVER ridden a mountain bike. i went on some crazy unmarked trails for hours alone with NO cell phone and no map and probably no food. so dumb. hopefully i'll be more prepared for ironman. but sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

24 comments:

Ryan Denner said...

"ignorance is bliss"

It totally was for me when I signed up for IMLP last year :) Enjoy the bliss, because when things start picking up, they pick up real quick.

But then again, you are a total superstar, and will ROCK THAT RACE!

runninggunner said...

Stepping up to the big show. Cool. Lot's of time to prepare, you'll rock it!

Sue said...

A little giggle..we are so excited for you..it is going to be a race on our radar to come and watch...cant wait to see you race in person..

Mary said...

Yay for ironman. But for the record...not ALL your friends are doing that race. I officially just figured out last week what it's like to have FOMS. I almost gave in but then realized I wouldn't have the fun crew to train with!

rr said...

You have to do your first ironman ignorant too, OK? Because those are the best.. and by the way, St. George is totally going to be your SECOND!!!!

Sounds like a lovely run.. I need a james to pace behind for 15 miles at 7:00 - awesome! See you very soon!!

rr

Wet Hair, Warm Heart said...

IM! You go! Sounds like a good run! You are going to kick some serious butt!

Chloe said...

Ha! I'm the exact same way! I like to run behind a frind of mine for the exact same reasons. I just zone out and watch the bottom of her feet! Glad I'm not the only crazy one!!

Congrats on the IM! That is awesome!

GZ said...

I was thinking of you as we pulled into Zion ... its only 30 minutes from St George. If you have not visited it already, be sure to do so as part of the trip out here in 2010.

... and holy crap is the IM a distance.

LoveOfShoes said...

I am with RR, I feel like St George may be your 2nd :)

Congrats on taking the leap, it's why I have stayed away from spectating at Lake Placid...too tempting to sign up!

X-Country2 said...

I hear Utah is BEAUTIFUL! Perfect place to race.

jameson said...

if things keep up the way they are going I will be running behind you soon!

i can't wait for you to race this year!

Shan said...

HAHAHA I always am running a little bit behind Stephen too, except I find it totally ANNOYING! ;) Of course, that's when he's running easy...

Yep, ignorance IS bliss - but having a great group of training partners will help you through the tough parts of IM training. I had my 2 dudes to train with, and life was grand. :)

Congrats on almost being done with the EdS - wish I was as close to being done as you!

Charisa said...

You will love IM. Everything you already do anyway, just for a little bit longer :)

Sarah said...

Beth...what can I say? I said don't do it but you did it anyway. ;) Actually, the truth is that I think you will rock it because you are such a solid athlete. After the way you trained for that marathon...I just know you're gonna be awesome (for BOTH IMs...yes, we all know St. George will be #2).

Matt and I ran together last week and did the same thing - one in front of the other. I rather liked it. Way to get in the miles while on vacation!

Pedal Circles said...

You ate killer food even then! I used to think a healthy dinner was not getting the two item combo at Panda Express.

What trail(s) did you ride in St. G??

Christine said...

I love your idea of doing spinning as one of my bike workouts! I never really thought of that..but that might be perfect! Congrats on Utah..I'm sure you'll win it! You amaze me! haha

allyson said...

I dont know why i never thought of running behind the guy before, i am usually trying to keep up huffing and puffing away. I am going to try it this weekend. Thats awesome you signed up for your first Ironman.

Maggs said...

Woohoo! I'll be cheering for ya.

Yes, I'm going to Honu. It's a great race. See ya there.

LaurenJenelle said...

Beth - You doing Oceanside 70.3?

BreeWee said...

AWESOME Beth, so stoked you signed up for that, you are going to be super in the long stuff! It's all in the head and you my friend have that positive head to pull you through a FULL day! AND love the WPB run, I went to college there (Palm Beach Atlantic), that place has a lot of fun little spots...

Glad you had shoes to lead you!

SixTwoThree said...

Hey girl, please read today's (Friday's) post on my blog when you get a chance – and help spread the word. Your network is bigger than mine ;-) Thanks so much!

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

Awesome....you are going to do great. Compared to what you do on a normal day IM may not be any harder...just a better party at the finish. I'm not signed up but a sucker for long training rides....let me know if you want company.

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

BTW whats FOMS?

Jessi said...

I like how your post back in 2007 referred to it as a carbon fiber "Janus." :)