Thursday, April 16, 2009

busy betty

spring break passed all too quickly. i tried to put in some big volume in both the life department and the training department.

on the life goals front, i readied some job applications, took the car in to the shop, went to the doctor, did final projects for grad school, headed to dan for some Active Release Therapy (working on those tension headaches/migraines!), got a 10-hour bike fit/pedal stroke analysis (which will be its own big old post very soon and i'm not kidding about the ten hours thing), and did a thousand wedding planning things. you know that "i love wedding planning and living out my little girl dreams" gene? i did NOT get it.

training was both big and fun. last week i ended up over 23 hours and this week will be similar. working on my weaknesses is necessary, but tough!

i swam masters monday-friday each week. TEN times. my masters swim coaches hux and colleen have been most excellent (and patient!) with my swim stroke and have helped me big time.

i also got myself involved in any type of tough bike workout i could and took any chance to ride with friends- 15minute TTs with (that's a loose term) katya, torrey pines hill repeats with colleen (again, loose, colleen is the hill and wind master!) in 30 mph winds, a "recovery" ride with molly and caroline which wasn't recovery for me, a few rides with james, Great Western Loop group ride, and some random stuff in between. D doesn't want me to talk about the squirrel i ran over on my bike ride with katya, so i won't. sorry, squirrel. i wish you an afterlife of endless acorns.

i didn't run very much, because i really wanted to focus on my weaknesses. i squeezed in 4 runs each week (w/ one accidental 18-miler-meant to do 16) but didn't get too specific with the run training, mostly aerobic running. the lack of focus on running was kind of scary for me considering i am running a half marathon next weekend and am not quite "dialed in" to half marathon pace, but i need to remind myself that it's about my best at Honu 70.3 and part of that preparation is next weekend's half marathon. next weekend is key training for me- i'll be doing the alpine challenge the day before, so we'll see how the legs race 13.1 miles the day after a 72-mile 7,000 feet of climbing bike ride.

of course, the thing i should be MOST excited about regarding my training gear is the amazing bike fit and how much more comfortable and powerful I am on my TT bike (and i got new pedals/tri shoes). but, i can't help but be so freaking excited about my cute new one-of-a-kind race top from bettydesigns. the betty brains (kristin) put together this lovely-ness that is SO me and nicely highlights some of my biggest supporters. i literally cannot wait to race in this thing. the actual top is bathing suit material (with a shelf bra) and has two pockets in back for yer gu and crap! kind of like a tri tankini. i tried on a sample and the fit is super cute and flattering. there will be hot pink straps (similar to bathing suit straps)..the colors will be a little different on fabric- we even matched it to the "true" breakaway orange.









i know custom design can seem a little intimidating or extravagant, but if you're going to buy a tri top, if you gather a few friends together and get one designed as a group, i think the price would be not too different than something off the rack- its really reasonable. you'd be surprised...give me or bettydesigns a holler if you have questions!

on tap for the weekend

1) missing james (he's up racing in northern california at sea otter- i was dying to go, but am sitting in grad school seminars for 8 hours today. c'est la vie!) he's doing a road race today, i can't wait to hear how it goes! since james was unavailable for his weekly "james + the ladies" pic, we substituted south african mike-the-bike last night at happy hour on mike's deck
(mike, kerri, kristin, me, kirsten)




2) my first climb up palomar mountain! we're doing a 76 mile route that follows part of the Tour of California.
http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/ca/escondido/249118734


3) back to the ranch for the sunday group run and then a recovery ride with bethany and mary (who are brave and racing devil's punchbowl bike race this weekend!) . go girls! can't wait for stories on sunday!

4) lots of frozen yogurt and cereal for dinner (see #1)

17 comments:

D said...

Ooooh... I like the tankini. It's hawt!!! Your stupid amount of training hours is so gonna pay off at Honu.

Nikee Pomper said...

10 swims in a week! Damn, my arms hurt just reading that.

Im riding Palomar tomorrow with Damian and possibly Mark S., so see you around 8.

beth said...

oh no, thats 10 swims in two weeks. i'm not that nuts. see you on palomar! feel free to give me a butt boost when you breeze by!

i thought you'd be out doing GWLX10 :)

MJ said...

That week is LARGE. 23 hours PLUS all that other annoying life stuff?

Pretty impressive!

GZ said...

Hey - that bike climbing translates pretty well into hill climbing. When you hit the big bike hills, think Pikes (120 days).

Luke said...

i wrote "that's hawt" then noticed D beat me to it. anyway, dig the design!!

allyson said...

Great job, and crazy all that training and school and of course not so fun wedding stuff. Reading your blog, I should follow it too, not worry about running so much, and bike MORE!

Katya said...

Ill miss having you as a training partner for daytime workouts, though I will be less concerned about PETA chasing after me; )

X-Country2 said...

That suit is ADORABLE. I love the orange and the flowers!

kerrie said...

nice top! i'd recommend bottoms though....
looks like you had a most productive day today during your endless seminar. nothing like a little multitasking ;)

FatDad said...

Sweet custom gear! 23 hours is large! Impressive.

triguyjt said...

thats a cool racing outfit, beth....

this has to be exciting time for you..with wedding stuff on the horizon and all the training.....school racing....yikes

Maggs said...

Nice outfit, now I can't miss you at Honu.

jameson said...

23 hours... you are killing it... so impressed with the way you have been laying it down the last 2 weeks! I can't wait for Honu.

Sherry said...

My arms just fell off reading about TEN masters practices! Wowzah!

Bettydesigns did a GREAT job on your tri top! Can't wait to see pics of it IRL! :o)

LaurenJenelle said...

Beth - you're an inspiration. PS: you are allowed to have yogurt and cereal every day for dinner. james or no james, crazy work out or no!

Jill Costantino said...

Love the top!
Cereal is a STAPLE when the man is out of town - it is nutritous!