Sunday, April 26, 2009

the rest of the weekend (& la jolla half marathon rr)

after the long hang-on-for-dear life ride on saturday, i knew recovery was key before the la jolla half marathon. so i ate some frozen yogurt, showered, threw on my zoot recovery tights and headed with james to the green flash brewery!

seriously, nothing makes me happier than seeing james excited and i have almost never seen him as amped as he was in that brewery. i had a tiny sip of each beer, but let james to the lion's sharing of the drinking work- i stuck to the tasting pretzels that you were supposed to eat in between beers to clear the palette. well, i went buffet-style and cleared them out of pretzels- they must have loved me! ....here's my artsy shot of him at one of the big silver beer tanks.

after Green Flash, we headed home to chill. james had a date with the growler he bought at the brewery (that's like a big 60 oz bottle of beer), and i had a date with an early bedtime (after james made me awesome fish tacos)

on to the race....La Jolla Half Marathon Race Report:
my body is so random. i feel WAY less wrecked after today's half marathon than i did after yesterday's ride.

i woke up today with my typical migrain/tension headache from spending 4 hours more or less in the aerobars yesterday racing antonio (he didn't know i was racing). lots and lots of coffee and 3 excedrin definintely helped clear the fog.

james again, pulled through for me sherpa'ing big time. he got us out the door and dropped me off by the start of my point-to-point race (seriously, i pick races that are so logistically annoying and james is always more than a champ about it.) so i was dropped off and started on my 3 mile warm up. i felt pretty okay and did a few strides before heading to the race start. i began chatting it up with kerri and we made our way to the port-0-potty line about 30 minutes to race start. at 3 minutes to the start we were still 10 people to go! UH OH. nowhere to go in a huge open space. i ran off towards the start and made a last minute sketchy decision to squeeze in the tiny space behind the port-o-potties and pee there. super classy. but a great decision, i must say. only one guy saw and he just stared in disbelief.

i had less than two minutes and thousands of people to dig through in the corrals to get a little closer to the front. this was not easy, and i ended up starting in about the 20th row. not good. people dodging was in full effect for the first mile. the tough people to get past are the ones running together or in a team-like (re:barricade) fashion. anyhow, i moved on through and i felt pretty good. that first mile is always fun, huh?

the first few miles i ran under 6:30. i knew the first 5 were easiest and decided to just go with what i had. around mile two, i finally figured out why there was a motorcycle and bicycle next to me. i heard them calling in my pace and race number on a cell phone and had a "holy crap i'm in first place" moment.

long story short, i held the lead until mile 5 when a tiny little speedster passed me just before the BIG HILL. Torrey Pines is infamous for hill repeats (bike and run) in san diego. essentially, you climb fairly steep for a mile and then climb less steep for another mile. my mile up Torrey was 8:30. ouch. but that's what this race is all about! other than Torrey Pines, there are a few significant climbs and the course is anything but flat. lucky for me, for every uphill there is a down and i am a champ on the downhills. being good on the downhills seems like cheating, but i often pass most who passed me on the uphills.

my "how many excuses can i come up with to quit/drop out" part of the run came miles 7-9. i realized there was a lot more to go and i was tired! i thought there was no way i'd hang on to 2nd place. but, then i started seeing all my awesome motivators...james and katya were on their bikes cheering and kept me going. i also popped a few cola powerbar gel blasts for some sugar and caffeine (yes i am aware of my caffeine problem). normally, i may not take in calories during a half, but i decied to eat like i was racing honu. so instead of breakfast, i had half a powerbar 10 minutes pre-start (like i was eating at the end of the bike) and then 5 gel blasts at mile 8.5. it worked pretty well! on another side note, i also wore my silver zoot ultra race 2.0s WITHOUT socks- again, this race was prep for honu so i wanted to make sure i could run well/no blisters. and you know what. nothing! not even a raw spot-perfection...can't wait to race in them in hawaii.

ok. back to the race: mile 12 was fun becuase the lululemon cheering squad made sure i didn't slack after that sneaky hill at mile 11! how can you go slow when these ladies are cheering you on?


i crossed the line in 1:28:38 which i was SOOOOOO happy about on this course. i thought i would be a little over 1:30 considering the terrain and the rep for being a "non-PR" course.

i finished 2nd overall, 1st in my age group. looking at the results, there were 595 people in my age group and 5,400 finishers- so i'm really happy. the woman who won. she crushed me on the big hill and i couldn't catch back up.

but first loser isn't so bad, when you get to rest on this after the finish! i've already won, right? (so cheesy! but i love my chicken!)
and kirsten came to chill as well...

so overall, i had a nice surprise in my race today and mostly am happy about a big weekend "in the bank" and feel more confident that i can run well on tired legs- 5 weeks to go until honu 70.3!

25 comments:

Sherry said...

WOW, Beth! Super awesome stuff! Big congrats to you!

Maggs said...

Nice race. I was thinking 4 weeks to Honu, thanks for letting me know I have an extra week to catch up on my non training...

D said...

Nice work, fast lady. Now if I had a hot thing like your man to rest on after my races, I might be more inclined to race!
You're so gonna smoke Honu. Sounds like everything is coming together just perfect for it :D

j.p. patrick said...

Studette!!! Looks like a perfect weekend! You're killing it!!

Linsey Corbin said...

OK. So, we need to double date. You know my hubby Chris works at Big Sky Brewery - Montana's largest brewery. Him and James would be like 2 peas in a pod! Nice job at your race. Next time: you will win!!

Jaakko Hiekkaranta said...

awesome!

huge congrats!

GZ said...

Whoa! Isn't your 1/2 PR only like 8 seconds faster than that? Wow. You are building a helluva a strong base.

Ryan Weeger said...

I think a weekly trip to Green Flash is in order now right? Look at the results its producing! You need to find it on tap somewhere in Hawaii. Congrats on the race too!

RR said...

You are going to rock Honu! Great race

Tawnee said...

You are amazing! Way to kill it after a crazy day of riding. I like all your "race-style" strategies too, I might steal some :)

Matt said...

Who's your coach? That is a sick brick work-out and you nailed it (despite the recovery inbetween). You're going to kill Honu.

Congrats.

Sue said...

another great day at the races...we be thinking you are a wonder women...:)

katie b said...

i saw your finish and you looked really strong and fresh - you are going to ROCK Honu!!!!!

Nikee Pomper said...

Seriously Gerdes, this is your year! Training is coming together really well. I've seen you on the bike and you are making HUGE strides. You are putting in some serious mileage in the pool. And your running is obscenely fast. Keep it up lady! Kona is calling your name

D a v e P said...

Good work Beth! Congrats.

X-Country2 said...

You always look so smiley post-race. Another great finish!

allyson said...

Great race, the hills sound tough. You are going to do so well at honu.

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

Nice job Beth. That's so fast. I bet you couldn't even count all the boys you dropped:)

Zach said...

WOW, nice work! Congrats on a great race!

Mary said...

Good job girl! you're so impressive. thanks for being such a great friend..this last week and always!

Ulyana said...

What a great race report! So fun to read! Great job!!!!

Rachel said...

You are so awesome. You're really improving on the bike too, btw! I agree though...biking wrecks me so much more than running (although I'm not going anywhere near as fast). Congrats (again)!!!

Dr.Rutledge said...

Hi Beth,

I'm a physician and former faculty member at Harvard and Stanford Medical Schools. I discovered your blog while looking for the best health writers on the web. I reviewed your posts, and think your writing would be a great addition to the Triathlon Community on Wellsphere, a top 5 health website that has nearly 5 million visitors monthly. If you would like to learn more about how you can join our Health Blogger Network, republish your blog posts and be featured on the Wellsphere platform, just drop me an email at dr.rutledge@wellsphere.com.

Cheers,
Geoff

Courtney said...

Congrats Beth! You are doing so well!

Just wanted to give you a tip that that Wellsphere thing in the previous post is a scam so be careful :( You can Google it for more info.

deano said...

headaches...Beth have you tried riding with different helmets. loose fitting in the back vs slightly tighter. My giro when is tight in the back gives me side head ached. when loose all is good
ds