Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Superseal Olympic Triathlon race report

my first triathlon of the season was not exactly as fun as i imagined. i have this image in my head of sunshine and sweat and smiles and instead ended up wet, cold and feeling hopeless in general.

i had plenty of time for warming up, setting up and all that business. here's my transition area....breaking out the disc! i'm pretty lucky that before james met me he bought lots of fancy bike toys , like the disc, to keep himself busy and manly before he found his true love :). and he's kind enough to share.

when i was setting up, i realized that i had forgotten my goggles (and my race belt and a silicone cap but those were minor). who forgets the goggles? so i chatted around and found a pair from crystal- she saved the day!
i did a run warm up and felt alright on my 25 minute run. i was pretty bummed that i was freezing. i warmed up in some sweats and a wool hat and still was cold. i was dreading the water like none other. i only swam about 10 strokes before my wave started. i had been late getting down to the actual water and wasn't interested in an extensive warm up- just wanted to make sure the goggles worked.

the gun went off and it was soon quite clear that my 25 yd goggle test drive was not enough. throughout the 1500 meter swim, i had a slow leak and the foggs like none other. i couldn't see anything. i stopped 4 or 5 times total to defog/drain. nothing too major and i don't think there was a huge impact on my swim.

the run to T1 was long. i blew it and took off my cap and goggles before my wetsuit which left me with only 1 hand. then i dropped my goggles in this long dark tunnel (goes from the bay under the highway to the transition area) and since they were borrowed, i thought it would be nice to go back and get them...

i hopped on my bike in T1 and i was off. i had no idea where i was at this point- there were a couple waves ahead of my wave (which was huge! men and women 25-29) so i waited until close to the turnaround to try to spot the girls in the lead. the course was 2 circular laps where you can see people headed the other way the whole time. its a flat course, but very windy. so fast and not fast at the same time. seeing the girls ahead of me made me feel a little futile- i was about 6 minutes back after the swim and their lead seemed to be growing. i stuck with it, but i did not have happy thoughts on the bike. i've gotta fix that. but it was dreary and cold and a boring arse course- not my style. and being so far behind didn't help :)

off the bike and onto the run. i was about 7-8 minutes back from the leader of my age group. i knew i could make up time but not THAT much time. the first mile was soft sand. ick. then things improved and i got rolling, but nothing blazing- just making forward progress. i moved by several girls in my age group and passed one girl in the last 50 yds. i sprinted past her and didn't look back. then, there was one dude (who i didn't even see because i was only thinking about this girl i had just passed and wondering if she was with me)...so this guy DID NOT want to get chicked. he elbowed me out over the mat. i totally let him becuase it was hilarious and i wasn't racing him in my mind.
all in all, i was happy that i stuck with it and did my thing on the run and ran into 3rd place. it was really hard to catch the last girl and i owe that to mary for giving me the motivation. mary crushed us all and led the swim, then she rode a good 4 minutes faster than me...i barely barely caught up to her on the run and when i did, she said "3rd place is right up there....go get her!" at that point, there was less than a mile left and i couldn't even see this girl, but i took off and was so happy mary gave me something to push for her. bloody mary is the best and she had a great race as well..it amazes me how fast she can swim.

i can't say i was totally happy with my race. i was bummed- mostly becuase the girl who won my age group beat me by about 6 minutes. this would be fine if she was some random superhuman...but we actually raced together last year 2 times and i was able to catch and pass her on the run in both races. so she's getting mega fast or i am not improving.

i was stoked for her that she won, she was always super friendly and kind the other times we raced together, so that was a plus. at least i could be happy for courtney even if i was a little disappointed in myself.
the good things i take away from the race are that i did average 20.5mph on the bike, which i think is up from last year for me at any distance. and my run split was good- 41 minutes on a course with a mile+ sand. my swim was behind the leaders, but good for me (1:22/100yd average) so i can't be too upset with where I am and compare myself to a standard that i am not close to reaching right now.
overall, i can see, though, that i NEED to keep working on the bike (last night at dinner james said to me, "let's be honest, your bike sucked compared to those other girls"- he is TOTALLY right)....i need real bike workouts and plan a bike build towards honu. i don't do intervals, hills or anything and i am promising myself to get it together before honu....with james' help...PLEASE JAMES, HELP ME! there, i said it. i know you think i'm uncoachable, but please please a little bike help for the love of your life!
i also need to spend some time in the aero position. it KILLED those places in between my hamstrings and glutes, felt like huge knots the whole bike ride. this was my biggest limiter in the race, i could not go faster, not because of my lungs, but because these knots would not loosen up and let me go. well, that and power. as you see, i was still focused on this butt area after the race...owee. please ignore the tragic cycling tan. my other vow besides working on bike power is to get a perfect tan before honu. i am still in my base period, but plan to peak big time in the tan training.james flexing as usual. he had an awesome half marathon in the half ironman relay. 1:20 on a super sandy beach course. again, owee.

20 comments:

j.p. patrick said...

Solid for a first race! You know where you want to concentrate your efforts before Honu. And if I'm not mistaken, I saw a picture of you doing intervals on the tri bike... of course, while your coach was partaking!

runninggunner said...

Way to pull some positives out of a race that you didn't feel your best at. And 3rd isn't so bad.

Have a great one.

Christine said...

Ok..I have to laugh..when I first read the headline I thought it said "Special Olympic Triathlon!" I was like awwwww...I didn't know Beth was special!? haha jk. Anyway great job! 3rd place is a great place to finish and gives you something to work towards. Its good that other girls are keeping you competetive out there to keep you hungry for more.

X-Country2 said...

Looks like you have a pretty good plan for the rest of the season!

allyson said...

Great Job on your first race of 2009. You'll have a great season.

D said...

Special Olympic Triathlon.hehehehehe

Good work out there. You can't be happy with them all, and why not get one out of the way early? You'll rock Honu and I'm glad I won't be there to get rocked by you ;)

GZ said...

"let's be honest, your bike sucked compared to those other girls" ... it has to be LOVE.

JW - I am game for the flex off. My pipes are in about that same league.

Nice job Beth. Learning from "B" or "C" races ... priceless.

Sue said...

we are thinking that a 3rd is dandy for the start of the season...and if I could just tell you what words came out of the lil girls mouth...she wants to be your mental coach...

BreeWee said...

Bethers!! I so hope James will coach you, he is a stud and with his knowledge you will be scary fast, let's bribe him! Hey, it's been said I am uncoachable too, we have that in common, my coach and me are love/hate...

never lose your FUN in sport, love that about you... keep it, but know you have BAD ASS talent too!

Nice race anyways, take from it that you didn't give up!

Mary said...

B - you were a rockstar on our ride today! I can tell you are already pushing it to the next level. I'm really glad you caught the girl for third. someday you'll need to teach your swimmer friend how to run.

PS - you are going to kill it at Honu.

MJ said...

Nice job. Don't sweat a less than perfect race at this time of year.... when it matters more you'll be blowing past all those early season peak-ers.

Benson said...

Tough race but you stuck with it and finished strong. Good job.
A couple minor flubs but you'll never make those again.
Get after it.

Charisa said...

Nice job on your 1st race this season! And I know that feeling on the bike where your butt muscles hurt!! We'll have to ride together . . .

rr said...

I always space out into bike la la land..

Hey, you totally looked hot. And you ran like mad.. and it was a great start.

You are just like I thought you would be from match.com, I'm so glad we hooked up ;) See you at SHOPPING!

rr

Zach said...

Good job on the race and nice report. That's awesome that you were able to catch and pass a few folks on the run. Sounds like you are on your way to a great season!

triguyjt said...

I hate those races where you forget a couple things and get a bit flustered for it... however..you recovered.. 3rd place!!!

btw---wow..james in the sand.. 1:20

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

Thanks for setting an example for all of us by going fast and looking cool with all that Lulu gear. Reading your blog is inspiring. I keep thinking I really need to work on my running and swimming more....but I seem to just keep reading your blog instead:)

Jaakko Hiekkaranta said...

solid season opener anyhow!

those times make me feel scared!

Eileen Swanson said...

Great job on your first early seaosn race! You will get better and better, even though you are already SUPER FAST!! I can't wait to see how awesome you do in the next few races....BTW, love all the new Lulu stuff you have. It's so addicting, my allowance is close to done, yikes!!

mhm1339 said...

Hi! love your blog. Where are your pink shorts from?