Sunday, May 3, 2009

M.I.I.

Missing in Injury?
Missing in Ignorance?
Missing in Ibuprofen?
Missing in Invincibility?

if things aren't going so well, instead of focusing on them i tend to ignore, ignore, ignore. why focus on something negative and make a deal out of it if it just might go away? so sometimes the blog gets a little ignored too because although i love to write about embarrasing things or personal pitfalls that i can DO something about (like get off my lazy butt and do real bike workouts), i don't see the point on dwelling on things i can't do anything about.

see that hill i'm starting up in that picture up top? (oh, and loved the lululemon running dress.... when i told james i was planning on wearing the dress, he said, "really?" in a not so convinced way. BUT, i must say after the race he was converted and said he was into it and it was hot..yes!) ok, so that hill? you had to go down the other side. and garmin told me i went down at 5:40 pace. not so much "playing it safe" pace.

on wednesday after the half marathon, i tried to run and my left hip told me it wasn't happy. i got some ART. and flip flopped endlessing in my head about skipping my race on sunday. i sooo wanted to race Spring Sprint- it was my VERY first triathlon just last year! and its a fun "season opener"- Michellie Jones even came out to play! i delusionally went to the race expo and picked up my timing chip (which i need to send back now before i am charged a bazillion dollars). then i came home. cried a little inside. i think i shed a tear on my hot new bettydesigns race top. and was proud of myself for making a good decision not to race.

my plan as of now is to do a test run tomorrow, but considering i can pretty much feel this hipper when i sit/walk/move, i'm not sure what the test will tell me. if its okay, i think i will do the tri club race on saturday since i couldn't race last weekend. but, i'm not sure sure about the hip. its scary b/c its not "sore" or "tender"...its more inner pain. and it hurts when i hop on my leg. and i'm trying to convince myself its not a stress fracture. its not, right? i'm just paranoid, right? it certainly doesn't hurt badly. its just an odd pain. odd pains freak me out.

ok, now you see why i haven't been blogging? this sucks and is positively boring. i'll be back when i have something nice to say :)

actually, i do...big congratulations to all the racers this past weekend at Spring Sprint and Wildflower. breakaway training had a kick arse showing at the Sprint, with at least 10 of the top finishers representing the orange! and my friends kristin and colleen both won their age groups.
and, i saw that Charisa was 3rd amateur at WF! Insane. and Denner pretty much dominated as well smashing his previous PRs...

other than that, i'm M.I.I. until I can prance (you do that in a dress i guess) across another finish line!









19 comments:

kerrie said...

ugh. you need to go get that checked out so you can get some answers fast as to what is going on....it could be anything- really- try googling it(no, don't). it could just be a "niggle", as sign that you just need to back off for a week or so.
please keep us updated :)

Nikee Pomper said...

Oh NO! I hope the hip thing is just a growing pain, maybe a late 20s growing spurt. Could be, right? Take it easy, rest, and recover. You have put in MONTHS of quality training. Let your body absorb the work. Anything you do now would be worse off than beneficial.
Umm, seriously, what is in the San Diego water lately? Too many people are getting injured. The injured/pregnant council would love to have you join our group, but not this year!!! You are going to kick ass at Honu. This hip thing is just a small annoyance which is forcing you to rest.
rest, rest, and rest!
btw-thanks for the Dan recommendation. I'm seeing him tomorrow.

Sherry said...

Hoping it's nothing too serious, Beth. Definitely keeping my fingers crossed for you. Love the dress!

GZ said...

You probably ought to take KW's advice. Otherwise you will sound like me: a grumpy old man on a blog who bitches about his injury even as it slowly (very) gets better.

Nisha said...

I don't want to scare you, but I did a similar thing at a race (5:45 down a steep New Hampshire hill) and had immediate similar hip pain, which I ignored until I could ignore no longer... turns out it was hip bursitis and if I had rested and gotten treatment earlier it would have healed much faster! Instead I spent a few months lying around and drinking. If it is hip bursitis, have no fear because they can give you a steroid shot into the bursa to calm it down. But go get checked!

LoveOfShoes said...

I know that feeling all too well and know the freaked out feelings that come with it. Get it looked at, play it safe, and listen to your body!

Ryan Denner said...

Thanks for the props yo!

Get better soon Beth... I'm sure you will be back to kicking ass in no time. Just take it easy for a little bit!

Jaakko Hiekkaranta said...

oh no!

let's hope it was just a sign that a little rest was needed!


see you on Saturday!

runninggunner said...

That sucks! I hope the test goes well and everything gets better. Skipping a race is always tough, but there are plenty more and lot's of time for races. Heal up.

Tawnee said...

You better be OK!!! :)

RR said...

ugh, i am so sorry - that totally sucks. Get better soon!

Pedal Circles said...

I hope to read soon about how it's just lingering pain.

You are too healthy and in shape for a stress fracture! Right?

Caroline said...

I have a finish line in mind for you... this Sat ;) Come race with me!!!!! Us two non-running bums can find a way to make it super fun!!! ;) ;)

allyson said...

So sorry to hear about the pain. I hpe the rest pays off and it gets better.

Rachel said...

Ack! Get that checked out, Beth!

X-Country2 said...

Not an injury! Get well soon.

Although if it makes you feel any better, that dress is adorable. :o)

BreeWee said...

NO NO NO Beth, you so can not have an injury! I hope it gets well ASAP! BUMMER, love the positive attitude though, hang tuff, it will get better.

Nice dress too.

AND I am still shocked that was your first tri last year, you have loads of talent and time...

MJ said...

Injuries blow. Maybe you can dial in your swim for a bit and not aggravate the hip?

Kerrie almost suggested you google it... definitely DO NOT. You will find some article that says you have cancer or osteoperosis or something... don't do it.

Get well soon!

GoBigGreen said...

Oh go to a PT if it persists...the ART will treat the symptoms but not the cause if it really is somehing. One day at a time you will be ok:)