Saturday, June 27, 2009

getting race ready or not

tomorrow is a race day. san diego international triathlon was one of my two favorite races last year. (the other was orange county triathlon). it couldn't be that these fond memories coincidentally coincide with winning my age group at both. or maybe just a little. but seriously, i just really like the courses :).

anyway, ias of today, 'm in no shape to run a 10k but i'm going to go out there and try my best. the last time i even ran 6 miles was in april. it's going to hurt. and it won't be pretty. today in my pre-race 20 minute run, i did some 20second pick ups and they felt AWKWARD. i felt like i was all over the place and couldn't get a smooth stride. hopefully i'll settle into some kind of semi-normal gait in the race and just finish the thing out.

earlier this week, i decided to participate in the San Diego Triathlon Club's June Aquathlon. free race, food, and good times catching up with some of my favorite folks. a good 200+ people showed for the 1000m swim and 5k run ( a nice little intensity workout during race week!) . the swim was pretty choppy and to be honest- i didn't feel great in my wetsuit.

pre mass-start (race pictures by osamu at opix- nice ones!) ..they always trick us and everyone is standing around talking without goggles on and they someone yells "go" and its total chaos.

i've spent so much time in the pool this spring and pretty much none in the open water and it's showing! i had trouble feeling smooth and getting a good catch with my wetsuit on. so, something to work on this summer. i came into T1, and by the transition times, looks like i must have stopped to take a dump and put on lipstick because i think i had the slowest T1. i couldn't find my towel w/ my run gear placed on it, and i really sucked removing my wetsuit (again, another reason to get more open water practice).

then there was the 5k run on sand. i latched on to craig zelent for the first leg, knowing he could pull me along well out of my comfort zone, then he dropped me after about 5 mintues. i passed several girls and didn't get passed by any. my time was slower than normal, 20 minutes and change, but what can i expect having not really run in 8 weeks. i was just glad to be out there and that my hip didn't hurt. the results have me as 4th lady , but i think there was another girl or two out there without a timing chip on.

post race i hung out and watched the feeding frenzy :) ....



so the aquathlon was good times, but now two days later i am feeling sore. whoops. not the best on the day before a race....i tried to spin it out this morning along the coast with james...


but yeah, still a little sore. its okay though, i think it benefitted me more to do a hard effort for a 5k to get used to the hurt for tomorrow...now we're off to the race expo!

17 comments:

Maggs said...

are you doing OC tri this year?

runninggunner said...

Good Luck tomorrow Beth. I'm sure you will kill it!

Love the twinsix jersey.

D said...

Have fun out there and listen to that bod!
And I wanna know about OC too. I just might be making an appearance down there.

X-Country2 said...

Good luck and stay healthy!

Luke said...

go get it!! i will be chanting to keep the injury gods at bay. =)

Pedal Circles said...

"Slay" it out there!! Just be thankful you didn't do the Palomar double and then head up to 6500ft to race tomorrow :D

rr said...

You're going to surprise yourself.. those run legs are just extremely tapered, in my opinion! GO GO GO!

And take a dump and put on lipstick cracked me up.

GoBigGreen said...

Oh good luck. I hope you can do the race and get some training in and not re-injure! That Aquathalon deal looks like it is right down the beach from the LJBTC and the Shores.."memories..." ok, sorry.
LOVE THAT BEACH!
Keep on healing!

Yasi said...

Congrats on SDIT yesterday! awesome job. That's crazy that you're from Philly, I'll be living there this summer! Any good tips on places to train? I hear Wissahickon Park is a good place, and I know Fairmount is where all the bike courses are for races. I'm looking forward to it

Julia said...

Yay for no hip pain, and placing fourth! You did awesome for not running for 8 weeks! You are going to do awesome in the SD triathlon! :) Have fun

BreeWee said...

NICE race, Tom from your neck of the woods told me you rocked it... congrats! Hope you are well.
Bree

Paul said...

Congrats on your win! Sorry I didn't see you after. Had to chase the boy around.

Rachel said...

Did you do SDIT? Did I miss something? Why aren't you up to running a 10K? You didn't get injured (along with everyone else), did you? Ugh. Hope everything's okay. Got caught up on your blog. Looks like you're doing some SERIOUS biking. Awesome.

Nikee Pomper said...

"stopped to take a dump and put on lipstick"- Funny Stuff! Thanks for pushing me. Bethany told me you PRed at SDIT. How do you do it!?!? Come off an injury and PR. You are a rockstar!

Ulyana said...

lol, take a dump and put on lipstick...

GOOD LUCK! You'll do great. And 20 & change on sand after a long time recovering from injury is spectacular.

Just For U Boot Camp said...

I got there lots of helpful content and great information. Thanks a lot for your help.
www.just4ubootcamp.com

Andrew said...

Cycling is really good..

Really beautiful photos...i like it..


Thanks for sharing...


___________________
Andrew
The Best PRICE for the BEST ENTERTAINMENT