Friday, June 19, 2009

road kill

yesterday's palomar/wolford/cole grade ride was a (funny) disaster. a s%$t show on my part, if you will. i was a little out of my league with the friends i was riding with, but on a good day, they just would have gotten a little extra rest. and hey, i'm worth it becuase i'm fun to talk to :). usually.
well, things started out fine. lake wohlford- no problem! they waited just a couple minutes. we headed over towards palomar, descended into rincon and i was ready! as we started palomar, i told the team i would be up in 1:30-1:35- similar to my one (and only) other climb up that thing. things went downhill (well, uphill) from there. Katya was chatting to me about our master business plans and ways to make our millions and i pretty much let her know through my huffing and puffing that she should take off... she was totally willing to be my domestique as she was taking it very easy, but i quickly realized that this one was better attempted alone. things went from bad to worse. it's an 11 mile climb. about mile 3, i was CONVINCED there was something wrong with my bike. there were crazy noises (or just some derailleur rub) that were amplified by the crazy voices in my head. then, i ran out of water. at about mile 7 about halfway up. then i threw up. twice. just water and the banana i ate at the bottom (this is probably tied to running out of water- drinking too fast?)...the throwing up made me MAD. i got mad at that damn banana i ate at the bottom (see my spiral towards loopy thinking?) . i got off my bike to check on the crazy noises. hmmmm.. nothing wrong. as i hopped off, i took the other banana in my pocket and chucked it towards palomar abyss. because i was MAD at that damn banana. stupid throw up banana. i got back on and kept climbing. reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaly slowly. my feet just wouldn't turn over the pedals and each little steeper section felt impossible. i wanted to cry. but instead i threw up again. just water. my watch told me i was over 1:30 and i realized i wasn't even quite at the top. i got off my bike again (maybe the 4th time?) and tried to call james. NO SERVICE! i kept waiting for a mirage of them descending down to find me (even they couldn't have expected i'd take this long!) i was about a quarter mile to the top and i see a little man in a red kit come flying down, JAMES!!! wahoo! he offers me water. i take it. he asks if i want to go to the top- heck no!! so james climbed back up to get the group (we were ridiculously close, i must have been in real trouble to not even second guess my decision to finish the climb). so i crossed the street, descended to a safe place and sat my butt down in the dirt on the side of the road to wait for the crew. i sipped the water and realized i couldn't eat anything. and noticed about 12 gnats and flies started flying around me and wouldn't leave. at that moment, i realized...i was ROAD KILL!

anyhow, team "not road kill" made it back and we continued on for the long descent. at the bottom of the mountain, i had a coca cola. a real one. i haven't had a coke since 1999, but since i couldn't eat much i went for it....and actually, when i got home, i found an unopened pack of peanut m&ms in my jersey. nothing like impulse shopping while you're bonking! i didn't really even remember buying them!
after the stop for the coke, we continued on up cole grade...(not easy when you are still convinced your bike is broken!) but somehow i made it. when we got to the flats, james pulled me along and we eventually made it home, 65 miles and 6500 feet of climbing. paul's bike computer said he went 66 "and a half or so" miles (uh....is that 66.6?)..and 6600 feet of climbing...hmmm. sounds like the devil's ride to me! glad i didn't go that extra several hundred feet, phew. see that's why i didn't make it to the top. i didn't want the curse of the devil ride. maybe because i already had it!

i'd like to take the time to thank the "team". james, jaako, paul, and katya were really champs for me. i like to consider myself a "non-liability" on rides and have never been in this position before. (i do NOT quit and have had very very few bonks). i even made it through last weekends longer and harder ride without a problem. looking back, i'm not sure what happened- either i a) had a bad day b) had some reaction to the bee sting i got 3 days prior (i'm allergic in a non life threatening way-just swelling and redness and such)- my heartrate was ridiculous throughout the ride- and i've done all the climbs before without any type of problem or c) who the heck knows. james was sick all week, maybe i had a little bug. but whatever, it happens.

i hope today is a better day. i'm off to ride with the girls and the route planned is perfect that if i'm not feeling it, i can just turn around and have my own out and back at my pace. i thought 6am was early to start a ride, but considering i woke up at 4:30 and have been blogging and whatnot, i guess it's perfect.
-----------------insert 4+ hours here.----------------------------------------------
okay- back from the ride with the fast girls- tati, kristen, and colleen...they were killing it! i told kristen she was going to get a ticket because a cop saw her littering...dropping watts all over route 76!
and its only 10:20 a.m. nothing like a solid 4 hours all done and plenty of time to get things done the rest of the day. the ride was fun, but i'm beat! i hung in there for the most part which made me happy considering yesterday's fiasco. this was my view today......hanging on.

this one i did some swervy camera business...

so with the rest of the day, i'm going to get my hair did and then head to the padres games with james and his sister steph for her birthday (man, she is a catch- i would NEVER request baseball on my birthday. only in james' wildest dreams! before that, i just might get the new iphone...darn darn, i dropped mine (the OG iphone) and cracked it this week. i swear i didn't do it on purpose.

14 comments:

FatDad said...

gurl, get yer hair did! lol
Great story about the bonk fest. Leave it to you to write it up so it almost sounded fun! Almost....

jameson said...

you sitting on the side of the road indian style was on of the funniest/cutest things i have ever seen... and i love the fact that you threw up in you own mouth on ride... classic!

X-Country2 said...

The throwing banana part killed me. SOOO something I would do. :o)

Ryan Weeger said...

you know youve reached a new level when youre puking and other crazy stuff, and then continuing on after to dominate some more hills. dope.

Stacy said...

I'm SO impressed that you kept going after all that! And then got up and did it again the next day.
We have to ride soon!

Colleen said...

just the fact that you can make 'light' of a hard day on the bike is impressive- was a fun ride yesterday! maybe your camera phone is cracked because you attempt these pics while riding... just a thought! =)

Sarah said...

See, that's what makes you a champ. YOu kept climbing more hills AFTER you threw up AFTER you BONKED AFTER you threw your banana in a hissy fit. AMAZING!

And then you went out and rode again on Sunday.

That was a great write up. And you know, it happens to all of us. We all have our bad days for whatever reason - bug, bee stings, or just plain old bad day. So way to stick it out and be able to make light of it. :)

Have a great week, Beth!

Julia said...

Sounds like a crazy ride! The part about chucking your other banana into the "abyss" made me laugh. I'm so impressed you toughed it out!

Pedal Circles said...

Way to get back on the "bike"! Sounds like just a bad day, but it didn't ruin your weekend.

Matt said...

great stuff. I wish I'd made the trip to check all that cuz god knows I'd been close behind. hopefully i'll be in the mix soon!

way to battle!

BreeWee said...

ha ha, that is pretty funny, sorry you felt so blah training on that ride (made me laugh though)... we totally should have been training partners this week, we could pull out of our funk and slump together!

Katya said...

You threw away your banana? Why didn't you give it to me?!? Kidding. You're an all-star. Trust me, we've ALL been there. All you can do with those days is be happy it was in training and not in racing! Anyway, I know you were just sacrificing your fun day so as not to ruin my taper; don't think I could have chased down the fast Fin AND you on a good day: )

drpast41 said...

Hey there! I work for a social media website (www.dneero.com) that is all about starting conversation. I noticed your interest in running, and thought you might like to check out this conversational survey regarding Base Performance Nutrition, Chris Lieto's line of sports nutrition products, and earn some for your time. Right now, we're trying to build a panel of runners and triathletes who are interested in collaborating and discussing various aspects of their common interest--this survey is just the beginning! We'd love and really appreciate your feedback. If you have any questions whatsoever, feel free to email me at daniel.pastan@dneero.com. Best of luck in your training!
The link and password to the conversational survey are listed below:
http://www.dneero.com/survey.jsp?surveyid=772
Password: BPN123

Andrew said...

Really beautiful photos...i like it..


Thanks for sharing...


___________________
Andrew
The Best PRICE for the BEST ENTERTAINMENT