Monday, July 6, 2009

the good, the bad, the ugly

THE GOOD
well, there has been a lot of the good going on. june gloom is gone from san diego and the days and nights have been really spectacular. 4th of july weekend, we got in a ton of riding and my second mountainbike race (part of the "racers and chasers summer shootout series") out in temecula. i only rode my mountain bike once since the last race, so i was a little rusty.
but, racers and chasers is super laid back and a great way to get more comfortable on my bike in a smaller race environment. it was also a great chance to spend time with james doing something he loves, and our friends ryan & sarah (team tall).

we pre-rode the course and it wasn't that hard or scary but it was super sandy and loose and lots of twisty tight turns. it was really hard to get going, stay going, and keep a rhythm. it was also really easy to wash out in the sand and tumble into a bush, which i did, oh, about 10 times during the race. BUT, it earned me this, so that's cool...

i do have bruises emerging all over my arms/backside this week so my tumbles may have been a little harder than i thought.


...but here is proof i have actually ridden my bike in the proper upright position..
race photos from chan photography.

this picture is from thomas maranda
and for my efforts, i got to share the podium with sarah. now before you go calling me sandbagger or acting like i'm actually a decent mountain biker, you should know that only 5 women entered this race. total. call me a cherry picker, but don't call me a sandbagger :)
ryan ended up 2nd in his group, and james came up and vogued for 4th place. i think they just called him up becuase they'd knew he'd have on something that would be more appropriate for a woman to wear. like annette's vest. cute belly shirt, james.

the racing was a blast and team tall and after, team small hit up stone brewery and the pool.. ryan was REALLY racing to the brew that day. he also won the race to the passout couch soon after :)


also "the good", james got an email from AVIA's shawn this week....he let us know i was in the July issue of Triathlete...neat... funny how it's in "On the Run" and i am sooooo not on the run...

THE BAD
not much of the bad going on here, but if we're digging for something- my running still isn't back in action. i took some recovery after san diego international and mostly ran just 20 minutes at physical therapy and one slow 30 minute t-run. today (8 days after the race), i tried my first real run and it went okay, but super slow. i still have weird niggles in the hip and the best way to describe it is it feels like i have a wooden leg. the leg just doesn't want to cooperate and i end up all awkward and loping. so, my hopes of getting back into running shape by vineman 70.3 (in 10 days) were a little premature :). oh well. i'm still really excited to go up there...

THE UGLY
ok. get ready for a good good laugh at my expense. it's not all triathlete magazine and podiums around here :) . so after saturday's mountain bike race, we stuck around for awards and eventually piled back in ryan's truck. we stopped for some beverages at 7-11 and that point i still had my sunglasses on from the race...
Hi!

well, inside the store, i took them off and was walking around (probably for far too long). i came up on james, and asked him a question and he burst out into hysterical laughter. he called ryan and sarah over and they all pointed and laughed hysterically. he told me i looked exactly like eddie munster...
HE WAS RIGHT!

i had a very special dirt unibrow from the race. pretty sweet, huh? .....that's hot.

23 comments:

D said...

It must be pretty good to be you, huh? Lookin HAWT on that mountain bike (you seriously make me want to take it up!!!), lookin HAWT in Triathlete (6 Ways To Improve Your Running? Really? :P teehee), and lookin SMOKING HAWT with that dirt brow. You rock!

Sue said...

You make me laugh..you make me smile..you make a funny mtb chick :)

Luke said...

very cool to see you out rockin' the trails! keep it up!

Mike said...

Nice! That dirtbrow was awesome!!! lol

LoveOfShoes said...

HA- too funny.

Nice pics from the bike race- almost makes me want to learn to mountain bike. But then I remembered I live in NYC :)

Kona Shelley said...

Love that cycling outfit..pink suits you..:-)

runninggunner said...

Great job on the race. Pretty cool to be Triathlete Magazine. Hope your leg gets better for you soon.

Sarah Huddyson said...

good- that picture of ryan is classic and, you dominated!! you still would have if more girls signed up. seriously.
bad- injuries suck but with your work ethic, it's only a matter of time before you get back to 100%! keep it up girl
ugly- well this one should just be up there with the good because that uni-brow was SEXXYYYY.

ps- If I ever attempted to ride the distances you do, I'd be averaging 10 mph!! I'm all about the short distance sprints. can't deny it. :)

Ryan Denner said...

dude, thats f'n hilarious!

nice work on the tri mag... damn. superstar!

Julia said...

haha! Lookin good with that unibrow!
Awesome that you are in Triathlete magazine! I am going to go look for you at the bookstore :)

Benson said...

As I'm reading your post, I'm thinking things are good, biking is good, running is still on hold and then I peed my pants.
that dirt brow is so sweet.

Nikee Pomper said...

Great Pic! Made me giggle.
Rest up that hip and crush it at Vineman. Let's mid-week ride when you get back

DW & KC said...

Beth you crack me up . I love your blog. The dirtbrow is one of a kinda.

Mary said...

Now it's my friend bloody beth :) love the dirtbrow too.

have fun this weekend and get that hip ready to kick some butt!

t-odd said...

Hilarious! Dirt uni-brow. That is a first.

kerrie said...

you are a sandbagger! i think you need to do an xterra race - they are tons of fun(kind of...)
don't worry about the running, it's pretty overrated. maybe try some pool running just to get your legs moving and you'll be fine at vineman.

Yasi said...

You're killer on that mtb..and I've definitely had my moments with dirt from outdoor activities, only I got it on my teeth and in my mouthguard during a field hockey game, not only was it ugly, it was gross!

Sarah said...

Love the unibrow, Beth. ;)

Congrats on the Triathlete Mag spot, that is awesome!

Sorry to hear running is not making the comeback you want it to, but hopefully soon...

Look forward to seeing you guys next week!

Rachel said...

Nice work on the mountain bike race! You're brave. You'll have to give me some pointers. Great pic in Triathlete, btw!

X-Country2 said...

You're famous! Great pic.

Charisa said...

Awesome unibrow! :) Hope that hip/leg keeps healing. You are tearing up tri both on and off-road! See ya at VM!

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

For sure we need to ride. I didn't want to temp you with Vineman coming. I think I'm riding East County Monday but I'm guessing you'll be at Vineman still or at least recovering. Let's keep each other posted. Good Luck at Vineman.

Andrew said...

Really beautiful photos...i like it..


Thanks for sharing...


___________________
Andrew
The Best PRICE for the BEST ENTERTAINMENT