Saturday, August 29, 2009

looking ahead




i tried to plan a loose training schedule leading up to my last two big races of the year: Orange County International Triathlon (9/27) and SOMA Half Iron (10/25 in Arizona). SOMA is not an iron-branded race, but lots of local san diego folks make the easy 5-hour drive to AZ.
after vineman 70.3 earlier this summer, i thought about sticking around for the roll-down slots to qualify for 70.3 Worlds (they did roll down), but for me this year, the race is too far (florida!), too late in the season (late november- gotta start training for IM St. George in early December), and too close to our wedding (which would make it a tough thing to set aside money for as well.)i'm bummed to miss a championship race, but i know i made the right call. so, SOMA it is and i'm actually REALLY excited. we have some great friends out there to stay with (some of james' training buddies so he's stoked to ride in AZ). also, the course might be 5-hour friendly for me(doesn't appear to be a monster) and my goal is going to be to beat that 5 hours on the time clock.

so, as i was saying, according to the loose training schedule i had planned, this past week was a rest and recovery week. i "plan" my training with the pretty standard 3 week build up in volume and intensity and then one week to let it all soak in. this last rest week coincided nicely with my first full week of work so i was able to ease back into real life. i made sure to rest up and enjoy a monday-funday beach/happy hour afternoon with lots of friends and get some quality ART (active release therapy) with the man, dan selstad. over the years (and the injuries), dan has become so much more than "just" my ART man and i definitely consider him one of my most important supporters and friend.

its a good thing training wasn't full force because work definitely was and i also was able to make time to attend a lululemon design team meeting. one of my favorite parts about being involved with lululemon is the opportunity to be really involved with the company and offer direct product feedback and ideas straight to the designers. on wednesday night, i got to meet with the CEO/founder of lululemon and a head designer to give feedback (and eat sushi!) with a few other lululemon ambassadors and athletes. its amazing how much they truly value customer input and i think a few ideas we had might make it to the shelves! i REALLY want to see a little waterproof pocket built into my run/cycle wear to store my phone or ipod or dollah dollah beels y'all while i sweat. so i packed lots of life and fun stuff into the rest week which was nice.

starting next week, i have two more 4-week training blocks, each with 3 weeks of building up and one week of recovery. both the OC triathlon and SOMA fall at the end of my next two recovery weeks, so the timing is perfect. there are definitely other races scattered in between (mountain biking races, cross country running races, and a sprint tri) but they are all truly just in fun. becuase i love to race. speaking of, i'm off to a race in the morning...Rim Nordic mountain bike race with james...he's looking to take the series title and i'm going for my first try in the Sport category, stepping up from beginner.
have a lovely weekend!

16 comments:

Nicole said...

I just wanted to let you know that you have inspired me to complete now my second triathlon (actually it is in a week in Koln, Germany!). Please keep up your hard work and enthusiasm for life!!!

Lisa G said...

Awesome, that is exciting! I raced Soma last year and it is a fantastic race! Super hot last year so I really suffered on the run! I am registered this year but unfortunately can't make the trip there this year (work). Have fun!

Beth said...

Exciting! I am also doing the OC Triathlon as the BOUS race. Hopefully I get a chance to meet you in real life. :) Also, last year the BOUS race was at the Soma Tri (there is an Oly distance-ish race with the half). It's a great venue and VERY flat and fast so 5 hours is all yours! (not that you need flat and fast to get 5 hours - it just makes it a little nicer :) Good luck with all your training!

X-Country2 said...

I love reading about all your exciting life adventures. Good luck with your races!

MM said...

I was thinking about the Soma race too. 5 hours is all you at that race. Supposed to be a super fast course.

Sherry said...

Keep it up, Beth! SOMA will be great and you'll always have the chance to do Clearwater next year (and for many years to come). :o)

Pedal Circles said...

Hope to read the Sport race report soon!

IAN said...

C U at OC... Get after it!!!

Julia said...

I'm already looking forward to reading about your fun racing adventures! Good luck with the training... and wedding planning! :)
That is so awesome you get to be involved with Lululemon like that. I love all their stuff!(although all I can afford right now are the headbands, haha)

kerrie said...

yes to the little waterproof pocket thing!!! i couldn't agree more...i go through little plastic baggies constantly for my iphone, and just so i don't have to carry it, i'm forced to stick in my bra...nothing like carrying a little sweaty plastic bag around between your boobs ;)

Sarah Huddyson said...

bethster, you're an animal!! Bet you had no problem tearing up the sport category.. can't wait to hear about it. team small/tall ride again soon, yeah? I think so.

Matt said...

Beth,
congratulations on the job and the race results. Whatever you're doing, don't stop.

RR said...

Your posts make me miss triathlon so much! Gotta find a pool down here soon. And nice feedback to Lululemon, I hope they listen to you on the pockets.

Rachel said...

Soma will be cake compared to Vineman, especially if the weather is nice. You are going to rock Utah! I can't wait to start training for it!!!

Sue said...

Looking ahead..Utah is so close to us..road trip for sure!!

Julia said...

I just found your blog, and I'm so glad - your absolutely rock and definitely motivate me to work harder and do more races!