Sunday, September 20, 2009

game day

ok, before i get into the weekend happenings, i must report on bike commuting this week. it's 18 miles each way, so a solid 36 miles plus a transition run when i got home made for a nice workout. i have my priorities in line- you can only carry so much, and coffee is defninitely #1 (thanks for the idea, charisa!)

yeah, i know the Look 496 isn't really commuter bike material, but i'm logging all the miles i can on this ride before my final races of the season. and to be honest, i just love to ride it. one day, i will get me a proper commuter bike for sure, though. commuting was fun, but a little sweaty. will be kind of challenging on days in need to look super professional at work for meetings, but there is a shower at school we are working on getting in order, so problem may be solved soon.

so, let me set the stage: i'm sitting here on sunday night watching james yell at the TV on the DVR'd chargers game (which ends up 31 to 26- Charger's lose, but james has made sure all day long (while we were racing/travelling) that he didn't see the score and he has been even ignoring his phone/twitter/facebook!). its a little sad to see his hopeful face when i know that the chargers lost (you see, i was in the frozen yogurt store while james waited in the car and the guy behind me asked the yogurt girl who won). poor soul. james is going to be bummed in a couple hours. i think i'll try to go to bed before he finds out they're not going to win.

so i'm sitting here on my computer pretending i don't know who's going to win.
we just got back from a fun weekend in San Dimas, CA. yesterday, james tried his first cyclocross race and now i can safely say any sort of an off-season we had planned together is done. james declared, "racing cyclocross every weekend IS my offseason." in all honesty, i am really glad he loved it so much and i'm excited to watch him get even better.

yesterday, we also pre-rode a couple laps of the mountain bike cross country course with Allison (pro who WON the whole race!) and Justin (her fast hubby). i was a little sketched on the first lap - lots of fast descents, so i took it pretty easy, just getting to know the terrain. justin and allison were AWESOME and gave me a ton of good tips for building confidence on the tricky sections. it helped a lot for sure- i think i might need to commission them for a couple more lessons ( hoping i can persuade them with a jar of nuttzo and a good bottle of vino) . after the pre-ride was over, i set out for a few more laps solo. i know this wasn't ideal the day before a race, but with my half-ironman goal in mind, i knew i needed to put in about 4 solid hours on the bike and a decent transition run. it was close to 100 degrees out there and after the second hour, i literally couldn't get enough water. i was downing bottles in 20 minutes and dying for more. after about 3 hours, the hills (LOTS of climbing on the course- 1000+ feet per lap) really started getting to me. i was "granny-gearing" it all over the place and just made it my goal to keep moving and working for at least the 4 hours. i made it to my goal, made a quick change, watched the finish of james' cyclocross race and headed out on my run.
"i'm ready for my closeup- i mean t-run" (i swear i was untangling my ipod cord and not posing.really.)
i was pretty delirious by the start of my run and saw this big lake/reservoir with huge "NO SWIMMING VIOLATION OF LA CODE 1456 blah blah blah". i decided i couldn't live without jumping in the lake so i made a break for it and dove in in my running clothes about halfway through my run. this was the lake- doesn't it look inviting?
it was awesome. i was glad i wore my Zoot Ultra TT shoes too- drainage holes come in handy! after the dip, i finished off the run strong and was ready to rest- close to 5 hrs of training in the mega heat and i hardly knew my name. but i was proud that i did it solo!

after cyclocross awards, we headed up to LA and had dinner with james' awesome sister (and race support!), steph. i'd love to say we were cool and did something other than eat and sleep but that would be untrue. after a quick recovery sleep, we were up and at it again for today's cross country races. the US mountain bike cup finals/unification race. it was said to be one of the biggest this year and i was nervous! i had decided to race category 2 (which is like intermediate) becuase the beginners races are usually only about an hour and i wanted a little more. but, i knew the girls here were serious competitors. no worries though since its just a "fun" race for me. i started off strong and had a great Lap #1. i was strong on the climbs and all the practice during my long ride yesterday helped me big time with confidence on the sketchy descents. on the second lap, i could tell i was holding strong and eventually i saw a woman in a Team Ouch kit in front of me. i passed her on a climb! yeah! well, yeah until we descended and i went around a corner and yard sale-d all over the place. whoops! i hopped back on after collecting my things, and was determined to catch Team Ouch lady again (she passed me during my fall). about a mile later, i caught back up and passed her....until the next big..
(i must interject: oh, sad, james just asked me to "fist pound" him becuase he saw a good play. so sad. )
climb. i chose some crappy gearing and ended up dropping my chain off my rear derailleur. this time it was not "blame it on the chain", it was totally my bad. i just need practice in pre-shifting and shifting while climbing. this mistake ended up taking enough time to correct that the Team Ouch girl passed me again and made it stick. i was almost a minute behind by the time i got back on and the race was over.
debriefing..."so what had happened was, i took a left and.."

i finished strong and ended up winning my age group for category 2 (not hard when i was the only one who was IN my age group). so, i just compared myself to the other cat 2 women (there were 7 or 8) and i was 4th which i thought was okay. later, i looked at the results and noticed that category 3/beginner had also done 2 laps (not sure why becuase it is usually 1 and i would have raced category 3 if i had known). there were lots of category 3 women (about 20 and would have been 6 in my age group) and i noticed that i would have won my age group by about 8 minutes. so i was stoked because in my head, i am still a beginner.

after the race, i watched james take the win in the category 1 men's field and he really had an incredible race. he was totally shelled after and took a little napper while we waited WAY too long for the awards. you know, the raffle that never ends and all that business...

(ok, by the way, james is still watching the charger's game (4th quarter now) and after several fist bumps, just said, "it's not just a mere football game, we're watching life happen. i live for the bolts."...seriously? he has had a couple beers, i guess.)
so, it was a great game day for team Walsh...too bad not so much for the san diego chargers.
oh, poor dear, james just asked me to take a photo of him "before the game winning drive"[uh....the chargers lose this game]...and i'm going to upload it now...


unfortunately, he also wanted to take a photo of my stupid outfit and my ghetto spot on the floor (thank the lord we're moving this week! wahoo!). this is me right now typing this..




i'm only wearing shoes because i just had to go outside and load the bike into the car for tomorrow's ride...hence the bike grease. i know, i'm super classy.
alright, gotta go upstairs and pretend to sleep. one minute left in the game and i don't want to be here when he finds out they lose!

20 comments:

Matt said...

Hilarious.

MJ said...

Totally hilarious... You're good for keeping it a secret...

Awesome racing again this weekend - does your new place have a spare room for all the medals?

GZ said...

I have to say - your blog and JW's are two that read more because of the context around the athletic endeavors instead of the events themselves. Yeah - it was cool that you guys took home some awards from the race - but I am cracking up because of the sox, the bolts insight, the coffee cup on the bike, etc, etc - good stuff.

Is the hip totally fixed now?

Mary said...

Oh my gosh, you crack me up lady! I need to get a mountain bike out here...tons of crazy trails. I miss you on the rides. Instead of passing surfers and oceans, I'm passing farmhouses, cornfields and deer.

ps - my house is the same way around the chargers games and now that we don't get them in Ohio we have to go to the bars and Pat looks like a crazy man screaming when no one else gives a crap about the Bolts :)

Ryan Denner said...

i love that you write exactly how you would tell it in person. great story telling, better pictures, as always!

Jody said...

ah yes we call it the "media blackout" in our house, and it happens all too often. I cannot even answer phone calls from family because my husband knows its my dad trying to loudly yell the score of the games back east.

Sherry said...

Way to go Team Walsh! You two are just so cute... you should get married. ;p

runninggunner said...

Amazing post. Great work on the weekend.

FatDad said...

Awesome live blog. Poor James...lol

X-Country2 said...

Ha. Congrats on the double win and bummer about the Colts. I HATE when they get so excited and you know it'll all come crashing down.

Pedal Circles said...

Beth - hilarious blog post! I called my mom on the way home for the d/l on the game and deleted it from my DVR :)

Had a blast pre-riding and hanging out. You don't need to offer wine and nut butter - we just love to ride bikes :)

As for the Bolts... I think I'll be planning some long Sunday rides this season ;) Shh, don't tell James. (FWIW, I have baby pictures of myself in Charger gear!)

Colleen said...

poor james...

Stephanie said...

I think I may have found something better than me mocking James about the Chargers..consider the torch passed. That was too funny.

One of your trips up to LA we will absolutely have to do 'something cool.'

Charisa said...

Whooooo hoooo - isn't bike commuting the best?! And when that shower is working it'll be even better :) Love the coffee on the Look! Congrats on your racing - trophy room in new place is a necessity.

J.P. Patrick said...

I'm so throwing a "we're watching life happen" out in conversation. Wait, maybe I'll need a few beers first!! Thanks, Beth! Real time blogging at its finest!

Yasi said...

Can I just say I loved your italicized play-by-play of the game? Too funny. Way to go out there on the mtb race! You're a natural.

PS. I love your Zoots and also have the same pair of Lulu running shorts with the pink waist band. Love them.

IAN said...

Nice work this weekend. I nearly wet myself at the visual of James asking for fist bumps while you KNEW the outcome. You must have a good poker face!

SixTwoThree said...

Poor James! But what a funny post! I loved it. (I'm the same way about my teams.) Of course, I had no idea you had done so much training over the weekend when I saw you at Bonelli. How cool! You're gonna do awesome at the OC Tri, I just know it.

rr said...

You crack me up.. and you look hot in greased up compression wear. Miss chatting with you :)

Julia said...

Love the sense of humor! And you two are both such impressive athletes!