Friday, November 27, 2009

all in a week's work

it's been a heck of a week off, and gobs of fun were had. yes, gobs. i did have a bunch of work to do at home (a school psychologist's work is never done!) - so i spent a few mornings writing psycholgoical reports on my couch. but, i thoroughly enjoyed being able to just sit and work with my coffee and the Today show on in the background- so no complaints here...

other than work, i got back on the bike a bunch of times...i start next monday with coach Dirk, so i just worked on getting back into the swing of things. on monday, i rode the coast with james..
as you can see, i love it!
wednesday i rode with katya and colleen on a nice easy (for them) ride through elfin forest. just gettin' in the base miles on a beautiful thanksgiving eve in sunny southern california.
and this video below, is par for the course for me on these "easy" rides....see, i told you this ain't easy for me!

video

wednesday night was a hoot. james sent a last minute facebook invite to everyone in town to meet up at the Encinitas Ale House for some pre-holiday drinks and good times. good times were certainly had by all...especially me!
my fun was short lived, however, and in the morning, i was brutally reminded why 4 drinks is 3 too many for me....waking up on thanksgiving, i could barely get out of bed, but i knew i had work to do at the super secret Ride n' Tie race- 12 miles of mountain biking and running with a partner in leapfrog fashion...there are other rules of the game, but they are super secret and i wouldn't dare expose them on my blog. however, katya, did a nice job of doing just that (she'll probably be banned for life). so read her recap before she is forced to destroy the evidence by the Ride n Tie powers that be...

well, i made it to the top secret starting location. my partner, colleen, and i were Ride n Tie newbies. other teams had strategies galore. we had just one- matching lululemon outfits!
the race turned out to be a blast...colleen's first time on a mountain bike and she flew by me at one point as she was riding my sweet pink mountain bike and yelled, "I'm getting a mountain bike for christmas!!!". this was the certainly the most fun i've ever had in a race and colleen and i were the female champions- earning coveted turkey sombreros. good thing we were the only all female team :)

besides being great fun and a great workout, i also ran off my hangover, which was a big plus as I headed home to host my first thanksgiving....james' aunt, uncle, and sister came over and everything went great. phew!
ok, so now we're all caught up until thursday...but the REAL fun began friday- can't wait for my next post! but, gotta go off to my last wedding dress fitting! sure hope i fit in the thing with all this turkey and pie in me.

9 comments:

D said...

HOW were you guys the only female team? That's crazy talk!!

GZ said...

If a beer is in a mug as big as your head ... then yes, four MIGHT be too many.

Terrish B said...

So much excitement.... and the wedding dress!!!! Glad you had a great Turkey Day and it was topped off by the most fashionable hat ever!!

Yasi said...

Extra work at home is the life of anyone in the education field, I guess it pays off for having free summers! That is a big ass mug of beer! I don't know that I could even drink one of those! That race sounds like a TON of fun! Way to rock it!

I went on a run the other day with Chris Berg and we got to talking about yours and James's blog and how there's always ideas for good eats on it, got me hungry!

Ryan Weeger said...

youre gonna kill it with the dirkster...just remember to always have a beer in your hand throughout the season like that photo up there!

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

WoooHooo Final Fitting. So do you have the swimmers tan? My bridal salon was not to impressed with that. Don't they get that it's a badge of honor? Have fun at your wedding. You'll be a beautiful bride. James scored;)

kerrie said...

i just love how happy you look in all of these pictures! good stuff is happening :)

tagskie said...

hi.. just dropping by here... have a nice day! http://kantahanan.blogspot.com/

Mary said...

Oh, I love the beer picture, but more than that...I love that you used the phrases "gobs of fun" and "was a hoot" in your post. Pat makes fun of me for these phrases (and others) and now I can prove that I'm not alone in the cool phrase world :)