Sunday, November 22, 2009

D is for Dirk

first, what an awesome day my friends had out at Ironman Arizona today! i had a blast watching from my computer and couldn't be more stoked for Linsey, Tatiana, Caroline and all the other amazing san diego atheletes.

ok, back to me! :)
so, i spent 2 years messing around and figuring that just getting out there and swim/bike/running on a consistent basis and occasionally jumping into workouts with other people way faster than me would eventually make me faster. and it did. to an extent. but here i am 2 years later and realizing that

a) i'm not going to get that much faster just messing around and

b) ironman is no joke. especially the hilly one i signed up for in st. george, utah on may 1, 2010.


here is the bike profile. ouch
i have some friends who have gone out and rode/run the course and they say they bike course is tough, but the run is tougher. double ouch.

so, i put on the big girl pants, and have sought out some help. enter coach dirk. he is very german. he is fast. he is local! he coaches fast people (exhibit a) & (exhibit b). when i first decided it was time for the coach, i was quite nervous and a bit sad. nervous, d'uh- he's going to kick my ass. sad, mostly, becuase i will no longer be allowed to just hop onto any random chat session like those i regularly enjoy with my lovely girlfriends katya, colleen, & caroline.

but today, as i clung on to the tail end of the group ride and accepted charity pushes/shoves by the team Jamba Juice guy up all the climbs, i was quite glad. because when coach Dirk asked me my "Goals" for 2010. my first one, above ALL others, is to not suck on the bike so badly that i can't properly enjoy a fall group ride (that was not a smashfest for anyone but myself. they were all chatting away and i was DYING). goal number 2 i sent to coach Dirk was to podium at st. george and qualify for kona, of course- no big deal. yeah yeah, i know...but hey- THINK BIG! and write it down. Oprah and the guy from P90x would both agree. write it down. but, i digress.

anyhow, bring it!

19 comments:

D said...

D is for who??????? Oh you KNOW you're gettin a paddlin when we finally meet!!

J.P. Patrick said...

IM Utah is going to be hard as f*** and we're gonna love it!!

kerrie said...

dirk? who is dirk?
seriously.

Caroline said...

Awesome goals! You can do it!!!

Yasi said...

You're going to do great things with this guy and structured training! Those are great goals.

Brett said...

About 2 months ago I finally broke down and got a coach (I only run - about 4 years ago I got lazy and tired of chasing the black line and riding on busy roads).

It has made a world of difference to me. You're probably not as lazy as I am, but the number one thing its given me is a level of accountability. No longer do I just end runs early or skip days just because I got busy at work or whatever.

Number two, now my workouts have a purpose. I used to just go run x miles per week and never really had a short term or long term purpose other than my belief that just running would eventually provide some improvement.

Coaches do this for a living. Their ability to analyze how to best get from A to B, and how to look at your current fitness level and where to find improvements is...well its what you pay for.

I think you'll find the money well spent.

Christi said...

Good Luck with a coach! I have had my coach for a year now and I love her!

Tawnee said...

Dude! That's so exciting. Plus, I've heard lots and lots about Dirk... so pretty much we can expect you to be an Ironman machine by May!

Charisa said...

Whoooo hooooo get ready :) You're going to do awesome.

Beth said...

Awesome!!! I hope you love your new coach and of course chasing after your goals! Coaching is where it's at - yes, you have to give up some stuff but you will be so much more focused and doing on the things that YOU need to do. Woo-hoo! Have fun!

MM said...

Like I told you before, I think you made a good choice. Can't wait to see ya kill the St George bike and see ya in kona next year!!!!

X-Country2 said...

Eek! Can't wait to read all about it!

Frayed Laces said...

I look forward to hearing about your training! You better make it sound like you're suffering, even if you're having fun!

Tracy said...

Did Dirk go to the University of Arkansas? I think I might know him! Was he the one who placed top ten in Kona this year?
Tracy

IAN said...

I was waiting for this announcement. "Dirk is very German" hahahaa Classic. A great decision in my book (I might be biased?). Tons of fun ahead.

Mary said...

Love his name. You're going to kill it next season.

Teresa said...

We are both making that switch over. Dirk it is for 2010! Maybe we can compare notes :)

tn

Kim said...

Sounds like a great move in theb right direction!! Good Luck! I'm sure its going to go well!

Slater Fletcher said...

I think getting a coach for a challenge like this is a good idea. I am hoping I can put on my big girl pants before the St George too!