Tuesday, November 3, 2009

pump it up

as soon as SOMA ended, i began my off-season. better known by me this year as "operation wedding arms". with all the endless cardio over the course of the triathlon season, my guns have gotten a little weak.

so, my only workout goal the next 5 weeks or so, is to do 5 or 6 strength workouts per week. i'm fitting in a little triathlon maintenance- 1-2 masters swims, a couple runs, a spin class here or there and some fun rides on the weekend. but other than that, pumpin' iron!

it's also just a great excuse to get out of the old routine and try somthing new. i am worlds biggest SUCKER for a flashy new group class at the gym. in the past week, i've done lots of random strength workouts/classes including:

GRAVITY.....these machines can do everything. awesome class...


GLIDING...this class was funny, especially when i slid onto my butt. but i swear it was crazy hard too. and fun!

and i've been going to HOT YOGA...the class i go to is a definite strength builder...you know how much holding this ukatasana burns the quads?
up next are TRX fusion class and sculpt pilates and within a couple weeks, james and i will be attending twice weekly strength classes at Rehab United. i'm REALLY excited about this and can't wait to do some awesome functional strength training consistently over the winter and spring. i worked with Rehab United throughout my injury earlier this year and learned some amazing stuff while rebuilding strength. i can't wait to see some gains when i'm starting already healthy! prevention people!

so basically, i'm trying squeeze in all the fun new workouts i can, and build a little strength base for next season.. which starts december 1st...with my new ironman coach! more on that later, i'm scared, but excited.
but before all that, operation wedding arms in full effect and enjoying the off season. i've already cooked dinner twice this week and its only tuesday! world record!

20 comments:

D said...

Gliding is AWESOME. You're really going to like that (it's a keeper for in-season too!!). Hopefully you get a good instructor! :)

runninggunner said...

Offseason strength training is fun. Going to be starting myself in the next couple of weeks.

kerrie said...

for me, to get decent arms, i have to swim a lot with paddles(which sadly means swimming) or carry a heavy baby around. so if you can't find a baby/toddler, i'd go with swimming....

beth said...

kerrie- can i borrow your baby?

FatDad said...

Work those guns! I like push ups/pull ups. No gear required, do em anywhere.

MM said...

just make your own baby. oh wait, you probably don't have enough time before the wedding.

congrats on SOMA by the way.

Yasi said...

Those classes look like so much fun! I think I'm going to try my hand at some new classes also, but we don't have cool looking ones like that! You're going to get yourself some great wedding arms in no time!

Shelley said...

Ironman? woot!

Sue said...

I can only comment on that dinner thing...i made Linsey's squash soup the other night, 1st dinner in 19 yrs, and the gang liked it!! Oh and I do like to glide:) hugs

Kim said...

Good Luck with the "operation" Sounds totally do-able with all those fun classes! Have fun.. gotta love hte off-season! I'm almost there!! 9 days!! Ahhhh!! I can't wait!

Jill Costantino said...

I love it - "operation wedding arms". I call it working on my "salt and pepper shakers".
Those classes do look like a lot of fun. Enjoy your off season and woohoo to IM next year! Looking forward to hearing more on that.

Jill Costantino said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
IAN said...

"operation wedding arms" Hahahaha... priceless. Hmmm... I am working on "operation beer arms" hopefully I will see similar results.

IronMatron said...

Eager to hear about new IM coach and IM plans!
The classes sound fun. I think I need to find myself something like that... I have this strange feeling that I'm not doing any of those damn functional exercises correctly...

Colleen said...

yeah for O-W-A!! very fun!! ride this weekend?

Jody said...

I go to the pilates sculpt in solana and it is awesome, great workout! i'll be sure to say hello if I see you there (probably not the best results if you go to cupcake love after every class like myself....)

Ryan Weeger said...

I dont know about all those weird contraptions beth...maybe just get a cross bike is the best answer? :)

X-Country2 said...

Can't wait to read about your IM coach and check out the gun show.

BreeWee said...

incredible... I am so excited to watch you travel through the wedding plans and big day!! AND the classes look awesome...congrats on the new coach too :)

Tri Buddha said...

OMG... TRX is such a good workout. Talk about core training and strength training at the same time. You will LOVE IT!