Sunday, November 8, 2009

sunday array

good morning! it's really starting to be fall around here and i'm trying to embrace the brisk mornings. james loves it, so i'm trying to channel that energy. the off season is in full swing with all kinds of fun stuff like...

dressing up like a cat for a 6k cross country race. it was the last race before the finals (next weekend) so i thought it would be a good workout since i've fallen off the running train...the race was in Cuyamaca, which is basically BFE.
the start (photo courtesy of/property of BSK/Running Center team)

i knew i'd not be super fast after not running, so i decided i'd dress as a cat and at least draw the attention away from how slow i was running. and, it was halloween.
(photo courtesy of/property of BSK/Running Center team). i had a tail too.
as if the cross coutry race wasn't enough to raise my heart rate, in the car ride home from the race, i discovered something NOT-awesome had happened to my engagement ring. wish i had been wearing a heart rate monitor when i looked down and saw this:
the gaping hole is where the big diamond should be. but it wasn't there and and it could have fallen out in a million places. it was someone's lucky day- just not mine!

despite losing the diamond, the off season good times continued. i did what normal people do on saturday and actually met friends for brunch at Claire's on Cedros- it was worth the 30 miunte wait. yum. turns out we all got the memo to dress in head to toe luon (that's lululemon code for fancy spandex) paired with ponytails, large sunglasses, and flip flops (we were directly post-workout afterall).if you saw us standing, it looked like we stepped out of the same rainbow brite lululemon closet. some may think we're too lazy to get dressed for real. i call it north-coastal-san-diego-active-chic.

colleen, me, kirsten
(p.s.- i have not taken off my Run: Spirit tights from lululemon since i got them. they're the same ones rachel just wore when she got 5th place at the Nike women's marathon. don't be scccrrrrrrd of the high waist. they're the best.)

while we waited for our table at brunch, Colleen practiced her aero position at the bike rack
we had a fine time. it's nice when my off-season coincides with my friend's taper and we can do normal people things like spend 2 hours at brunch. speaking of TAPER- i am so excited for Colleen's race next weekend. Both she and Kristin are going to tear it up at Clearwater 70.3 Ironman World Championships. YEAH YEAH!!!!

another off season objective is to actually ride my mountain bike. i had not ridden it since the last race in september, so after work on thursday we headed out for a short local spin on some trails. i wondered if i could hop the curb....

guess not! note so self: work on curb hopping skills...


and here is my shout out super plug for purchasing diamond rings with insurance and lifetime warranties....see what james brought home on thursday:

all's well that ends well!

16 comments:

Yasi said...

I've been eyeing up that Lulu fleece you've got on, I love it! Thank goodness for lifetime warranties! That discovery would cause a spike in anyones HR for sure.

D said...

HOLY SHIT... even my heart rate went up when I saw the gaping hole (I said gaping hole). Insurance/warranties is key. Glad you have it!

MJ said...

Wow... there will be people out looking for that diamond i'm sure!

Way to go on having the insurance. That would have been a MAJOR bummer without it.

GZ said...

So it also appears that James cut your fingers off at the knuckle as a reminder in the second ring shot.

X-Country2 said...

OMFG. I'd have DIED! I lost my wedding ring in my bed one time, and I about lost it. Glad you got it taken care of.

Charisa said...

Oh man, glad you had insurance on the ring!! I bet you definitely made someone's day though!! :)

rr said...

thank god for rock-insurance, i nearly had a heart attack all the way the hell out here in hawaii.

I need to come to your lunches.. I totally have all the right clothes!

Stephanie Corker Irwin said...

i love that the WINTER lulu running line is serving a purpose in San Diego! That's awesome:) I will feel even cooler wearing it now knowing you guys are sportin' it too!

Melissa said...

Love your ring! Thank goodness it is back in one piece. I wish we had a Lulu store near here as all there stuff looks super cute.

Ulyana said...

My heart stopped when I saw that photo with the missing diamond. So glad your man's got a smart head on his shoulders and got insurance. Phew. I would have literally spend a week crying in bed if I lost my diamond...

Colleen said...

hope all of my aero practice pays off this weekend! haha!

kerrie said...

wow - that james guy is pretty clever...i think you should keep him around for awhile.

i almost pissed myself laughing when i saw the kitty suit....that's HAWT. i hope you announced that you were a kitty as you passed people!

Luke said...

crazy about your ring! couldn't imagine how that woulda went down w/o insurance.

thanks for the solid advice btw! i think it's a great idea!

Roo said...

Loved the kitty outfit! You didn't look slow when I was cheering.

When I get over my self-imposed, I-will-not-ride-or-run-until-this-knee-stops-hurting I'll try to teach you to hop the curb. Of course, I'll probably just fall on my face.

Jane said...

Previously I was even sad to know that you lost your diamond.. but now am happy to knew that you got it through all the way insurance..

home health care reform

IAN said...

Just think of it as your good deed. Maybe some out of work guy/gal found the diamond, sold it, and can now buy X-mas presents for his kids. And you got a new one. Its like good karma courtesy of your insurance company.