Sunday, January 24, 2010

father daughter ride

Friends and family made this weekend tops. James and I had a little stateside party at a local wine bar to celebrate our wedding (and our birth month- james' b-day is tomorrow and i'm 30 on the 3oth- ouch!) with our san diego friends ...My parents made the trip out from philadelphia for the party, which was the best.
Some of my favorite girls at the party...
this b&%tch decided to front and steal my outfit! the horror!!! at least we accessorize differently!
The party was a blast. But, the highlight of my parent's trip to san diego was a 3-hour ride with dad and james. My dad is essentially 100% responsible for my inital dabble into triathlon. In June 2007, I somehow convinced him that the best (Master's) graduation gift would be a real cycling type bike with clip in pedals and all. Not that i knew how to ride one, but I promised I would learn. So dad came out for my graduation and took me shopping (on crutches from hip stress fracture!!!!) for my first bike. It helped that Dad is a cyclist himself, so I ended up with a pretty sweet "entry level" full carbon ride. I had to promise not to ride it until I was given the doctor's go ahead...(ummm....ok, I may have cheated just a little). Well, I DID learn to ride that sucker, and I think Dad got his money's worth with my Orbea and I'm still riding it. Without that gift, there is absolutely ZERO percent chance I would have bought a bike because I seriously had NOOOOOO money. I couldn't have even managed a Wall-Mart Huffy. So, that was one of hte many firsts and lucky days for me over the past few years. Thanks, Dad! Love you!

Living on opposite coasts, Dad and I had never gotten the chance to ride together..Until Saturday! Let's just say the old man's still got it- Dad and James were dropping me on the coast...We went 40+ miles and Dad still had some energy at the end....
Daddy's girl :)

today, sunday, I ended the weekend with ANOTHER ride with James (4hours! and then an 11 mile run, and THEN an hour swim...ooooch!) good thing a recovery week is on tap next. woo hoo! love me some recovery!

13 comments:

Sue said...

I think you make your dad proud!!!

Yasi said...

Time with family is so great, especially when you can do something that doesn't happen often (or never before)! Great job with all of your training.

GZ said...

Excellent. Totally a goal of mine to be running, playing with the kids even when they hit that ancient age of 30! THIRTY!

Ryan Denner said...

Yo, thanks for throwing that on friday. We had a great time, and it was awesome to meet "Dr. G"!

Christi said...

That is so great that you got to ride with your Dad!

Charisa said...

Dads are the best. Even better when they ride :)

Courtenay said...

ooo! my brother turns 30 on the 30th too! no wonder i think you are cool despite not having met you.

ok have a good week-

FatDad said...

The first bike I bought Violet is made of wood. Dad/Daughter bike rides are rad.

jameson said...

riding with you all weekend was rad!

GoBigGreen said...

Yea Dad!

Jaakko Hiekkaranta said...

cool stuff to have really fun with the family!

I actually just gave my dad a bike for his 50 year anniversary..can't wait for dad-son rides in the Alps to begin :D

D said...

How is it that you and Katya didn't marry eachother?

X-Country2 said...

That's awesome that your dad rides too! What an athletic family.