Sunday, January 31, 2010

welcome to the thirties

welcome to february! last weekend i had a blast celebrating my birthday with my husband and even came home to an amazing birthday surprise on my 30th b-day/one month wedding anniversary. when we were married in cabo, Mike Doyle's paintings were all over the hotel. i fell in LOVE with a couple of them. when we inquired about the price, we figured that $3000 would be better in our downpayment-on-a-house account than on the walls of our rented apartment. so, oh well, no painting for me. well, i came home friday and found this on my wall....

can you believe it?!?! it is HUGE- 3 feet by 7 feet. my ingenious husband actually "commissioned" a friend (the better half of "team tall" (who happens to be a fabulous artist) to make me a very similar painting to the one i loved. incredible. i love it.

the rest of the weekend was spend riding out in east county san diego. jen invited me along on one of her adventures and i got to hang with the big girls riding Great Western Loop to Pine Valley (an amazing ride).
i also hung out at the YMCA spin-a-thon and did an hour with the lululemon Carlsbad crew, raising money "for the kids". "for the kids" was also my excuse to bid on (and win!) some fun silent auction items. saturday night, James took me to Yu Me Ya sake house for my 30th and we happily rang in my new decade in a quiet corner of the sake bar with good food, drink and the good company of eachother. and of course frozen yogurt for my "birthday cake" after.

13 comments:

GZ said...

JW - crikey, you are not only raising the bar on training, you are making us have to be creative as husbands too? ;)

D said...

You are one lucky woman.

X-Country2 said...

What a fantastic birthday. Gold star to the husband. He's certainly setting the bar high for himself. :o)

feastytimes said...

Happy Birthday! And definitely some brownie points for the husband for being so thoughtful

Julia said...

Wow, that is a fabulous painting; I am in love with it as well!
I hope you had a fantastic bday!

RR said...

Happy birthday! can i commission a painting too? i love it!

Sarah Huddyson said...

awwww BETH!! I feel so honored for the shout-out. :) thank you!

I have to say when I heard James really wanted to get the original for you and how he contacted the artist and everything, I was totally sold on painting it... super thoughtful of him, obviously. anyway Happy Birthday! I'm so glad you like it!

Yasi said...

That sounds like a wonderful way to ring in your 30s! That painting is fabulous, she sure is talented!

Jody said...

happy 30th beth, was great meeting you at RU! too funny about the painting, my husband and I fell in love with those in cabo and were talking about finding artwork like that for our barren walls! helps to have artistic friends!

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

Very cool painting. Even better that it was painted by a friend. It's a very colorful and cool painting...just like your life.

t-odd said...

Happy Birthday! You two are the cutest couple I've never met. Enjoy the new decade.

caronae said...

Sounds like a great birthday. Happy 30th, with many more great rides/runs/swims to come!

TRI-ROB said...

I can't BELIEVE I'm an entire DECADE older than you!!! At least in actual years... emotionally... I'm eternally 12!

THAT is an AWESOME piece of art dude! Nice.

Breathe...