Sunday, February 28, 2010

sunday swampy sunday

I just finished up a lovely recovery week. Yesterday, I was like a normal person on a Saturday! I had a 3 hour ride on tap, but with an impending storm, I squeezed it in on Friday which left me with a Saturday with JUST a swim. So, after swim (and jacuzzi! I actually had time for jacuzzi!), I met James at the coffee shop and we made it through almost all our thank you notes. Amazing all the people in a coffee shop on a Saturday morning just chilling out. Then I went shopping for bridesmaids dresses with Colleen in La Jolla and then did some more shopping. I even went for a manicure and pedicure....Had to sneak a picture of this guy. He was there with his wife and LOVING it! This is him all blissed out while getting the arm massage....
Today was definitely the END of recovery week. I rode 65 miles out to Ramona with Julie, Randy, Rachel, Denner (Denner actually rode circles around us more than with us :)), John, KP, and Terrish (new friend we stole from hawaii :) ). (Several of our group rode 90, but I had to get back and do my run and Terrish and Randy came with me). I got a flat about 5 miles into the ride. Wah wah wah...but everyone was super nice and helped me out...Terrish can change a flat faster than the boys. I was very impressed.

The group was fab and it was fun to talk Ironman St. George with Julie and Rachel who have both visited the course already. Rachel, who could ride 5:30 on a flatter course thinks this one might take her close to 7 hours! Holy Moly! But she said the bike ride isn't even the part she's worried about- the run is devilish.

Directly after the ride, I went on a solo swamp excursion. I mean 2 hour run. The added 3lbs of mud on each foot I think made it a nice workout.




When I got sick of swamping, I hit the roads which included monster hills (not on purpose.) the run hurt. Not gonna lie. But I had downloaded that old "Counting Crows" album I used to love in high school and college (August and Everything After) and that made it nice and nostalgic on a beautiful sunny day. I also ran without my ipod for a while on the trails because that's nice too after a long day when you're in a quiet place. I can't stand it when there's lots of noise and cars whizzing by. Then I need my ipod shuffle.

[Note for self - I probably didn't bring enough food for the ride/run combo. The ride was VERY hilly (up scripps poway parkway to ramona and back up via rancho) and so was the run. For the 6 hours total, I had one purefit bar (210 cal) + one mini luna bar (80 cal) + one gel (100cal) + one sleeve shot blocks (200cal)= for a whopping grand total of 590 calories over 6 hours of training (but at least 7 hours total time elapsed including 3 flats on our ride and transitioning to my run, etc). I wasn't bonking by the end, but I wasn't too spritely either! Also reminder to self- the bloks settled very nice on the run. The gel (gu rocktane pineapple) not so much. I got a side stitch 8 minutes after the gel. Think i need to buy more bloks]


We're now 9 weeks out from Ironman Utah and 4 weeks from California 70.3. I'm not feeling totally ready yet, but I think that's GOOD. Don't want to peak too early! March first already! Time to focus and buckle down. Not with training- I got that under control thanks to the coach, and all I have to do is follow the plan. I wish I could say that about eating! I need to start eating nice and clean and not having peanut butter and puffin parties (with myself) after dinner every night. I also need to stop helping myself to the endless buffet of donuts, cookies and bagels in the teachers lounge at school. Is it wrong that I kind of wish I was gluten intolerant?

that's all for now. james is yet again cooking up an "epic" meal for us while I blog. hat a hubby! AND he had a tough day too- his first US Mountain Bike Cup race of the season complete with a nice yard sale crash. good work, babe!

9 comments:

Yasi said...

Cookies, brownies, trail mix, and everything else in the teachers area killed me last year! I swear I'm still paying for it. I need to find an entourage like that to go riding with, it's just me, myself, and I out here!

MM said...

I'm so glad Terrish got to ride with you. Take care of her :-)

Christi said...

Wow, sounds like you had a great weekend of training! Good luck in the training to come. Tell your husband I feel his pain. I had a nice yard sale crash skiing last weekend. It didn't really hurt but from what I hear it looked epic!

X-Country2 said...

What a weekend. And yes, Bloks are the best. I could eat those like candy.

Ryan Denner said...

It was fun talking with people for once NOT riding by myself! Even if I wasn't invited... ha!

Nice work on that run. I have bad memories of black mountain. James and I went there once on the MTB, and he dropped me like I was the worst habit on earth!

IAN said...

Terrish is a solid addition to SD.

24 days!! Gonna be rad to kick off the season with 4 other "Dirkinated" athletes.

kerrie said...

i can't believe you are already racing in 4 weeks...i can hardly wait to see where all this fitness is going to take you(besides kona of course...)

runwritetherapylife said...

Sounds like you've been working mighty hard :)
I find shot blox settle pretty easily during rough trail runs too! Good luck with the upcoming races!

D said...

You know, Maggs will hurt you if you don't take good care of Terrish. I'm scared of Maggs and you should be too :)