Sunday, February 14, 2010

sweet weekend


It just keeps coming! This winter has been packed...From weddings to birthdays, and now valentine's day- I think we are ready to just relax! We celebrated valentine's weekend in style...

First, I picked up a bike to borrow until my new bike arrives in a couple of weeks. I'm very lucky to count some quite connected folks among my friends, and somehow, with a little help from a good friend (and her great bike mechanic hubby), I am riding on this little race machine [whose owner is a former Ironman World Champion!!!] until mine arrives. If nothing else, this has gotta make me fast, right?
On Saturday, James and I picked up Colleen and headed out to Pine Valley, CA to ride "80 for Haiti". An 80 mile ride on Old Hwy route 80, for an $80 donation - 100% of proceeds to Haiti through Mercy Corps. Adventurecorps, the group that put the ride on, did an amazing job. All the volunteers were truly exceptional and gave us service that far exceeded need or expectation.

The day before the ride, James told me that for him it would be "180 for Haiti" for him since he would have to double back for me so much. Thanks, babe!! WELL, he did end up doing a bit extra, but for the most part, he did an awesome job of chauffeuring Colleen and I through the GNARLY headwinds and crosswinds that we experienced for about 70 of the 80 miles. Not to mention, the 6,000+ feet of climbing. It was a great adventure and I had a blast with my hubby and Colleen. Right after the ride, I took a quick t-run to shake out the legs for my impending doom the next morning.

80 for Haiti shots......me & colleen at aid station #1


James enjoying his "secret snack" (baked sweet potato) at the desert tower/turnaround point.


hmmm....upon closer inspection of James' "secret snack", it looks like there is some broccoli on that sweet potato?!?!?! Did he REALLY smuggle in some florets for some extra ride fuel?? I sure hope not.
anywho...we made it home late afternoon and i plastered my Zoot CompressRx tights on my body until I woke up bright and early for a crack at the San Dieguito Half Marathon. I hadn't done this one before, but I knew that lots of fast people came out and that it was very very hilly. This had me sccrrd. See, I do LOTS of hills in training, but somehow, in racing, when required to do any type of hill at a strong effort, I basically crumble and move backwards. Today felt no different. I'll save you the blah, blah, blah, but basically, I wanted to quit from mile 3 all the way to the finish. I felt like I was passed by at least 10 people on each uphill and the uphills kept coming and coming. Grinding and grinding away slowly. Lucky for me, I'm quite the downhiller and usually passed a couple back on the downhill but not nearly as many as passed me going up. The whole race, I just couldn't stop thinking about how running 26.2 miles like this in IM Utah in a couple of months seems truly impossible. I'm not trying to go all Negative Nancy on you, just being honest. My quads felt injected with cement and I was all dead legs. My calves were fine though, must have been the Zoot compression socks! I get a lot of flack for racing in the socks, especially from james who now loves to hate on triathlete-isms, but I do it because it WORKS for me. Ever since the Vegas marathon, I have worn them in almost every stand alone running race even though I'm honestly not at ALL a fan of the "look."

But, back to the race- overall, no spark. No sprite. All in all, my time wasn't bad for a very hilly course (I had 1:27:55 on my garmin, but the race results say 1:28:04. wasn't chip timed and some 16 year old wrote down my time I think, but whatever. really no difference).

I was soooooo happy to cruise to the finish and see james (who stopped by on his bike ride- on his way to a 400 mile week!) and get a valentine's kiss from him.

So , it wasn't a bad race for me. But, it really shot my confidence because I so suck on hills and feel so defeated when faced with them. I can't figure out why I seem to go in reverse up hills (except for the big booty bringing me back down). I think I need to have a chat with the coach. I need a confidence plan for this ironman thingy!!!

oh, and a little last thought...i made a big pot of grains on friday night to have something easy to heat up before my long ride/race each morning. I took whole oat groats (these are the oatiest form of oats, they are not cut (as in steel-cut), rolled, or anything. just whole oat groats), amaranth, and millet. I chose these because they are all wheat free so james can eat it too. I put them in the rice cooker with 2 cups water to 1 cup grains and pressed GO! it turned out awesome. I think it would be better if you cooked each grain separately as the amaranth and millet were a little more mushy/cooked than the groats as they technically should have different cooking times, but all in all I was quite pleased.


pre-cooked grains.

13 comments:

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

What a weekend!!!! You did awesome. You are probably training perfectly for IMSG but too tired and to realize how right on your training is. I'm willing to bet you'll rock St. George!

kerrie said...

solid weekend! i can't even imagine what it would be like to be running outside in shorts or to be able to bike 80 miles outside without freezing to death. i fear i may have to move further south.....
and you still have looooots of time before st. george!!

Yasi said...

You've got a good while before St.George and with all your intense training I'm sure you'll be great! Great job on the HM. Thanks for the idea about the quickie breakfast too!

allyson said...

Nice weekend, the ride was awesome and for such a great cause.

I have the same issue with racing hills, i dont get it. Sometimes I wish I could just stop and walk.

During and after every race last year, before IMFL, I kept thinking the same thing, how am I going to run 26miles after riding 100. How am I going to ride 112 miles after swimming and so on. What you are feeling is normal, now that I am done my first IM, its easier for me to say it now, you are putting your training in now and your race will come together in May. Just keep reminding yourself to stay positive.

X-Country2 said...

Sounds like quite the weekend. And for what it's worth, I dig the long socks. You pull it off. :o)

Christi said...

Great job on a very busy weekend! I wish I had known that there was a 1/2 marathon in SD this weekend. I would have extended my business trip so that I could have done the race. Oh well, there is always next year!

Charisa said...

I think 1:27 on that course absolutely rocks! Pretty sure you run hills just fine :) Awesome job on a hard weekend - remember most people out there didn't ride 80 hilly miles the day before! You will be ready for Utah.

Toby Guillette said...

Participating in events for a major training block is a smart way to push yourself. Way to go strong both days!

Sue said...

Now we will know how to spot you at SG, will just look for the socks:) glad you had a sweet weekend!!

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) said...

Congrats on your 80mile ride and 1/2 marathon! You rocked!

And, it's normal to feel like you won't be able to do the distance for your IM. But, one thing I've always heard is, "Trust in the plan." You WILL be ready and you WILL do great! :)

Beth said...

Congrats Beth! You see disappointed with the run race but geez - seems pretty darn fast to me after your hard ride the day before and on a hilly course. Anyway - huge congrats and think of all that gained fitness! Yeah!

Saim said...

Saim Rice Mill, a well reputed corporate is committed to follow its motto of exclusive service & quality, standard, customer's satisfaction & reliance and cost-effectiveness. Saim Rice Mill is recognized as the best exporter in pakistan for Rice all over the world. We deels in Long Grain White Rice, Super Basmati Rice, Long Grain Basmati, Non basmati Rice, 385, 386 and Broken Rice.

Rice Mill Pakistan

Mary said...

Agree with all the comments about your training being right on.I remember feeling frustrated (on so many levels) in the final couple of months as you put your body/mind through all this craziness :) but you're putting in the work and you're going to kill it in May.