Monday, March 8, 2010

auspicious citrus

Somewhere along the way of our 19 mile trail run on Saturday morning, Katya told me about the lovely lemons growing in her backyard citrus grove. She also told me I could pick as many as I wanted on my way home. Well, I actually did make a pitstop in her backyard, taking her up on the offer (unbeknownst to her as she had a little longer run than I). I had just run 2.5 hours, so as I picked the lemons, I dreamed of making some sweet and tart agave lemonade after the hard effort. By the time I got home, I had forgotten about my lemonade, but my lemons served as a reminder all weekend of what I needed to do.


I must admit, it was pretty tough to make a quick change at home after that run and head straight out for 3 hours solo on the bike, but I knew a storm was fast approaching and it was my last chance before i'd be relegated to the trainer. Well, I stayed dry for about 1.5 hours and then holy monsoon! I was out east (turns out the coast stayed dry) and far from home. The rain was cold and pouring down in buckets. I was going quite slowly because i'm a little sketched out riding skinny tires down slick roads in traffic. My legs felt like ice blocks, soaked to the bone. And that's when it hit me....this wasn't miserable rain, this was actually a gift- the perfect ice bath after the morning's long run! score! makin' lemonade! I ended up changing my attitude and had a nice time on my ride, despite the rain and made it home with my legs all iced up and ready to relax for Sunday's gran fondo century ride.

Sunday I woke up and the forecast was grim with a chance of miserable. I decided to charge it and drove down to the start in little italy because dammit I wanted to ride those 100 miles! I need to get in some long rides beofre this Ironman thing in 8 weeks. AND, james, my amazing husband had gone out and bought me a cycling jacket, waterproof booties and a rain hat thingy for my helmet to help me stay dry. Love him! I got to the start. Drizzle. I geared up. Rain. I went to the start line and found some friends. Pouring. I started the ride. Pelting freezing, miserable. I rode one block and promptly turned around to my car. Now, I'm not a total wimp, but I had done the course last year and was familiar with the railroad track crossings and sketchy descents. NOT rainy day material. Turns out denner fell victim to the track crossing- ouch! SO, I played it safe and went home and in the end- after hearing about all of the early exits and mishaps and 100 miles of cold rain, I know I made the right call. I was super bummed- especially because I had woken up so early.

On my drive home, I texted james about bagging the fondo and he said they were organizing a ride up in the Santa Ana's with lots of mountain bike climbing. LEMONADE! I was in. I texted Dirk to get the "plan B" for the day in order and james and I drove off through the rain in search of sun! We had to drive an hour, but the ride was awesome and I climbed more than I ever have on the mountain bike. The initial climb up Harding Truck Trail took me longer than it takes me to climb mount palomar (almost 2 hours, all up up up) .


we had great company including ryan, sean, monique (who caned me up the climb!) and slater. We came down the mountain and I was cold and tired (theme of the day!) But, after 3:30 on the mountain bike, I knew there was more work to be done once we got home. See, I have this thing called a job, so there's no room to mess up and come up short on the weekend during these next few weeks before Ironman. It may not even be the fitness I need, but its the confidence. I need to go into this Ironman knowing that I didn't slack off, I didn't take the easy way out, and at the very least, I gave it what I had each day during training to set me up for a strong day.


So, back home, it was almost dark and I was off to the treadmill for a nice 8 mile run. It was actually awesome. The oscar's had just started and i got really into watching it while I clicked off the miles. I actually felt pretty great considering the mega mountain bike climbing I had done a few hours earlier and I wanted to push the pace, but I didn't and I stuck to the plan.

Off the treadmill, back home to the trainer. Yes- more working out (ok, stop groaning now about how crazy I am. If you have a problem with it, stop reading :) ! My goal for the day was 5 hours plus the hour run and I rode that trainer 90 minutes until I got it all done at 8:30 pm. Now, I know I missed out on the physiological adaptations that come with riding straight for 6 hours, but I think I gained some psychological benefits of stopping and starting so many times throughout the day and keepin' on keepin' on even when I was quite tired. It was one of my most random, and most favorite training days ever. And during those last 90 minutes on the trainer, when 5am heading down to gran fondo seemed like 3 days ago, I kept looking over at those lemons.

17 comments:

Tawnee said...

Funny, you ended up right in my backyard on Sunday and I ended up right in your backyard.

You definitely know how to dig deep. That last trainer sess... really?! Dang.

kerrie said...

for a minute or two i was going to be super impressed that you rode the fondo since i had heard about how many people bailed due to the crazy weather....well, that didn't last, lol ;).
yep, sometimes you just have to improvise a little....
nice!

SSB said...

I would have just made yucca (lemons, sugar, vodka and ice...shaken in a gallon jar for an hour) with all those lemons. But I'm not doing an IM in 8 weeks. Nice job getting it all done.

Yasi said...

Wow, quite a weekend! Good you bagged Fondo, a close friend of mine slipped on those metal trollly (??) tracks in Philadelphia the morning of our race this past summer and got pretty bad road rash and her bike was sidelined.

Christi said...

Wow, I am in total awe of you and your training right now. It takes a lot of mental toughness to adapt to so many changes and still continue. Great job! You are going to rock your ironman!

Amanda said...

You're gonna kill St George.

Linsey Corbin said...

You're a beast, Beth! Total work-horse. I love it! Keep up the good work. Thinking of you!!!

runninggunner said...

Sunday sounds like a crazy day. Glad you managed through and hit your goals.

X-Country2 said...

Lemonds indeed. Great day!

Pedal Circles said...

Way to get it done!!

Harding is a solid climb. It was pretty mucky when we hit it just after 10. Was good up top, though!

Ryan Denner said...

great post beth!

like yourself, I knocked off 90 minutes on the trainer sunday night too.

way to get it done!

Ryan Weeger said...

you know it beth, the best days always include mtbing!

thelionbeach said...

nice one! WAY 2 GO!

Charisa said...

Sounds like a solid weekend. You are going to be ready!

Vince A. said...

Read your post and admired that you are pushing the red line in training. Sometimes more is more, and the following quote always applies to our sport. "Somewhere in the world someone is training when you are not. When you race him (her), he (she) will win."
Tom Fleming

FatDad said...

Knock it out, Beth!

Leah said...

Great post. And very inspiring.