Wednesday, March 17, 2010

laguna squared




My training plan for last weekend didn't look all that daunting as written. Dirk had started cutting back some of the time so I could go into Cali 70.3 with a little spring in my step. But, I was bummed I hadn't yet completed a 100 mile ride this year and I'm 8 weeks out from Ironman. Careful what you wish for, I guess. When I told Dirk I wanted to ride 100 miles since I had missed out on the Grand Fondo Century, he basically came back and said, "Great! But only if you do it on Saturday AND Sunday. And why not throw a 10 mile run in there with 20 minutes at tempo." Careful. what. you. wish. for.

So, without initial intention, I ended up with a Laguna squared weekend. Saturday, as I already posted , was a hilly 100 mile trek out east to snow on top of Mount Laguna.

Sunday....Well, Sunday I ended up at Laguna again, but this time, Laguna Beach, CA in Orange County. Another 100 mile ride, but this time flat along the coast and 70 degrees and sunny.

I know its pretty close to Oceanside 70.3 (2 weeks out) to make myself so tired, but I'm going to be careful with recovery over the next two weeks. At the worst, I have a rough day at Oceanside, and learn my lesson. But in the end I will be more prepared for IM Utah, knowing I put in such a big weekend 8 weeks out. Also, kind of fun to do my 2nd and 3rd centuries ever on back-to-back days..

So, Back to Sunday. James decided to join me for the 100 to Laguna Beach...
And Slater and Monique (team Slamo!) jumped on for the ride from Oceanside. By the way, anyone who thinks James and I are some crazy endurance couple clearly has not met team Slamo. They take it to a whole different level!

This was PERFECT as the boys could hammer up front and the girls could chat in back. Even though I was behind the boys for a lot of the ride, I got in a lot of aero riding and definitely was not coasting, as James' easy pace is still a solid steady effort for me holding on.

Luckily we stopped at Heaven (better known as Revo) on the way back in Dana point for some triple shot fuel.

And, I was surprised that over the course of the ride I actually felt okay- that flat coast was nothing compared to the ride the day before. For the first 60-70 miles, it was almost (i said almost) relaxing. we won't talk about the last 30. Mo and I flew off the back on every hill- our quads were DONE and the boys still had lots left in the tank.In the end, I made it home and even had an hour to pass out on the couch before the night cap on my big weekend. I was set to run 80 minutes and headed out at 5:15 pm, stoked that with daylight savings, I'd get to enjoy the sunset during the last few minutes of my run. I took the long way to the coast, and I felt not bad. I realized the tide was pretty low, so I jogged up o nthe sandy beach to Carlsbad. In Carlsbad, I flipped it to head home (took the road) and ended up nailing some pretty solid paces for me (3 miles at 6:40 pace, 156bpm) during my tempo section that ended the run. The cool part was that it felt natural. As I coasted back to my house, I thought about Ironman and that I'm actually going to be doing it. And I was content, knowing that if I could end a back-to-back century ride weekend with what ended up being an 11 mile run and actually feel good....I'm on the right track.

Anyone up for "Laguna Squared" next year? I think this might be an annual spring training event!

12 comments:

Jill Costantino said...

Congrats on a HUGE weekend! You will be AMAZING in your IM and at Oceanside! Love how you guys always have people to venture out with - very cool!

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

I'd be up for Laguna squared....the night cap run might send me over the edge. Maybe you could drag me. It would be good strength training.

Christi said...

What a great weekend! You are going to rock your races with that kind of training!

Colleen said...

will you do it with me in May?? oh wait... you will be done with IM training! sounds like an awesome training weekend!

IAN said...

I have learned to be careful as well. Evry once in a while I re-learn. Those weekends will pay off huge. Trust me. Great job.

Beth said...

Woo-hoo! IM here you come! Great job with all the long training! And tired or not, I bet you surprise yourself at Oceanside!

X-Country2 said...

What a weekend! Hopefully you got some frozen yogurt along the way. :o)

FatDad said...

6:40 at 155BPM, fit and fast. Nice job.

Tawnee said...

Love Revo! Wrote an article on them way back when I was still a full-time journalist.

Congrats on a huge weekend. I know you'll be good to go for Oside!

kerrie said...

that's crazy!! did you see LC or Kristin in laguna?

Yasi said...

Epic weekend. Maybe one day I'll be out there to join you on Laguna! :o)

Eileen Swanson said...

That's a sweet weekend worth of training!! How have you been??