Tuesday, April 27, 2010

all in my head

i'm having trouble putting into words (and finding time to put into words) all that's in my head surrounding what's about to come in my first ironman this weekend. so, i suggest you read slater's blog which is very well articulated and learn all about putting hay in the barn for this same race. slater has been a true inspiration for me throughout this process because he is so damn positive all the time and he is turning into the incredible ironman hulk under legendary gordo's tutelage right before our eyes.

so, if i am going to put anything into words, you'll have to excuse me- this is just what i'm thinking right now... (in no order and very poorly organized)...this is a little more "Dear Diary, " than i'm used to writing-
*i never thought i'd be heading into my first ironman knowing i'm doing another one (Kona!) in just 5 months. two ironmans? can i do it? wait!!! i need to focus on the first one first!
*the weather forecast for st. george has been less than stellar (rain, wind, storms....) but we all know that can change.
*if i'm honest, i'm a little (lot) worried about the run. i know how hilly it is and i know that's my weakness. i also know i haven't really run over 2 hours at all in training. and i've done very few 2-hour runs. but i have backed up a lot of days of solid running in a row and done many long-ish runs, just not long runs. dirk really has helped me focus on the bike on weekends, but now, of course, i am doubting that i've done the run training. if i learned anything from my great day at oceanside 70.3, i learned to trust in the plan. dirk knows what he's doing and i've done the work (except for long swims- whoops, only did ONE over 4k...). i backed up week after week of training and had a nice solid "spring break" 4 weeks ago that should help me on race day. i think i need to look back over my training schedules and list out all the tough, long, solid sessions i have done and then i'll stop doubting that i can make it! this is one of the reasons why i MEANT to track and log my training in 2010, but i stopped somewhere february-ish. i just don't have time or energy at the end of the day. [so- needing some reassurace- i just went back and looked at my spring break schedule where i know i followed it to the tee- from April 3 to April 11 (so 9 days, not 7)- i trained 36+ hours. that should serve me well!
*and i know, everyone will say, "you'll be fine" "you're going to run 'em all down", etc...but we all know how messy things can get on an ironman race day! i just hope to keep on keepin' on and not have any major meltdowns. i'd be happy with that.
*time goals? i don't know honestly. if this were a flatter ironman, like IMAZ, i'd say my goal was somewhere between 10 and 11 hours. with this one- who knows- i'm DEFINITELY not going to run the race by pace at all. it will be slow. there are hills. lots. time would demoralize me. i'm thinking this race will be at least 60 minutes slower than a faster ironman, but who knows! so please, if you're tracking online- don't cringe when you see that i rode more than 6 hours or something- no big deal - i'm thinking it may even be like 7. who knows.
*other than that, i gotta go finish packing and get to bed. i'm packing for every possible outcome weather-wise and i hope i don't forget anything. i'm off to swim and work tomorrow and then we're hitting the road to UTAH! i hope to post a few times in the next couple days so you can really get a glimpse of what a headcase i am :)

32 comments:

Xavi Garcia said...

Good luck you will do GREAT!!!

I will cheer 4 u from Hong Kong!!

Cheers,

"XTB" Xavi.

runninggunner said...

Have and awesome race and enjoy!

Teresa said...

Good luck! It is all for the experience,time set aside, just have fun and LEARN and soak it all up for your big day in Kona!

If you have any questions about training/racing in the rain, feel free to ask! :)

tn

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

Good luck. You are going to do great. Rooting for you to have a great day.

Luke said...

remember...we're gonna have fun doing this thing! just remember to smile...you're good at that!

Caroline said...

cringe at 6hrs for the bike of someone's first ironman. Seriously!?!?! Come on girl ;) no expectations, Except....TO FINISH and HAVE FUN!

SSB said...

You're gonna do great. Trust your training, and your coach, he seems to know what he's doing.

Dave said...

Good Luck!!! I'm doing my first IM in Louisville and I'm sure I'll be a headcase too:) You'll do great!!!

D10 said...

Stay positive and like you said, trust in your training. You are going to do great.

Yasi said...

Beth- I'm so excited for you. I think your thoughts are just where they should be. You're being real and honest with your feelings and that's definitely a good thing! I'm rooting for you big time all the way out here in NJ!

Beth said...

Best of luck Beth!! I'm really excited for you - it will be a great experience (regardless of time, weather, etc..) and set you up well for the big stage at Kona!! Hoping you have a blast out there - we are cheering from Pittsburgh! :)

Sherry said...

Beth, just get out there and do all that you can at THAT race and in THE moment that you're in. If you give it your all, you've already won. Continue to trust your training. I don't think anyone is ever perfect in following their plan to a "t". Coaches know this when they write up their plans. Like you said, you've done the solid, quality work... so trust it. I think it's going to be an amazing experience for you. The icing on the cake for all of the work that you've done over the past two years. I will be cheering hard for you from Florida, cussing at those hills with you and praying that the weather cooperates. Hang tough, girl!

Now, get out there and kick the kind of ass that you know you can kick!!! GOOO, Beth!!!!

GoBigGreen said...

Trust the plan, stick to your nutrtion
and enjoy the journey! You will do great and heck, I have never done one so that's all I can "suggest!"
have fun Beth!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete said...

I will be cheering from Germany!! You are going to do great. Don't stress out too much. This is your first! I still have yet to do one, but I did freak out over my first marathon a couple of weeks ago, and I should have spent that energy worrying on other things! You are going to do great!

Christi said...

Good luck! I hope the weather gods comply and you have a great race!

GZ said...

two words ...

'effing live it.

X-Country2 said...

Eeek, I'm so excited for you! Good luck!

Chloe said...

Having a coach is totally different - and I'm right there with you. But trust your coach - that is what they are there for :) Good luck!!

endurancegirl said...

you are going to do awesome. and so cool that you can relax and enjoy the day, knowing that you already have your kona slot. finishing the day is such an amazing feeling....revel in it!!

good luck girl!

RR said...

Good luck and enjoy the experience! No pressue since you already have your Kona spot WOOHOO!!!

Nat said...

I hope you have an incredible IM race experience, taking it all in and enjoying the process as much as you've endured the hard, long training. Best wishes!

J.P. Patrick said...

69F and sprinkles? That will be the nicest weather I've trained in all year! I may go "Faris Al Sultan" and just race in a Speedo! We're going to have a blast!

Jill Costantino said...

Believe and Trust in yourself! Enjoy this experience and then tell us all about it! You will be AMAZING:) Looking forward to watching you online.
Have FUN!

Running and living said...

I think this is good, you are getting the nervous out, and come race day you are going to be your fearless self. And if you have a bad day, I am sure you'll learn from it! Good luck!

IAN said...

You nailed it on the head, Dirk knows what he is doing. There is a method to his madness and a reason for everything. TRUST IT. I read the other day about how what matters in the program is the accumulation, the mileage in time, not the single BIG workouts. TRUST IT. You will conquer!

allison said...

Since you specifically said not to say that, I won't.

BUT, you've done your training, followed your plan, and are on track for a great day IMO. Keep your head in the game, remember to enjoy it!

No matter what your time it'll be an awesome experience and I can't wait to read about how you killed it out there!

Nikee Pomper said...

Hello old blog friend! It's been awhile.
Just wanted to say GOOD LUCK and enjoy the race. Like everyone else has said, you are going to do great! I'll be tracking your progress and cheering you on!! Your training and progress has been incredible.
You are an amazingly talented athlete and it's super cool that all of us can follow through this journey (dare I say, eventually going pro).
Good luck, enjoy, and kick some major ass!

Terrish B said...

YOU R READY!!!! HAVE FUN!!!!! Lots of love from the CHIEF :-)

Shan said...

Like Ian said, trust the coach!! You've done all the work, already secured the Kona slot, and now it's time to have FUN and enjoy the Ironman experience. It'll be one of the more incredible days of your life - enjoy every last minute!! And of course, kick some boo-tay like you always do!! :)

Melissa said...

Quit fretting and try to just enjoy the race and know all of your hard work will pay off. Can't wait to hear all about it. I am jealous as could never do an Ironman!

Angela and David Kidd said...

Beth - Maggs sent me to your blog after I mentioned getting passed by you on the run in OC. Like you said, trust your training and trust your instincts on race day. You'll do great.

Slater Fletcher said...

Ha! I dont know why your looking at my training. You are the champion! Remember and trust that. The race is just the final step in a long process that you already have in the bag.

You have done the work, your head knows how to execute and your already going to Kona. All you have to do is show up and enjoy it! Like you said at O-Side...its a cocktail party so just keep smiling and dancing until you cross that finish line.

See ya out there