Sunday, April 18, 2010

Big Rock Triathlon (olympic)

i woke up super bright and early to head to the Big Rock Triathlon on a whim. i noticed on wednesday that the Dirkinator had a 2 X 20k race pace bike + 2 X 5 k race pace run on the schedule for friday. kind of like an olympic distance race. so i thought, "why not do one?" i knew some friends heading out to the Big Rock Triathlon in Perris, CA so i jumped on the bandwagon. it was a 90 minute drive, but i knew that i would get much bigger benefits from racing others than racing myself on fiesta island (ick!) and it wouldn't hurt to get in a solid swim in my Zoot Zenith. dirk gave me the ok, but told me to stick between Ironman and Half Ironman heart rate/paces. i thought i could live with that.

i watched the sunrise over the mountains and sipped my coffee, excited for a mellow race.

the lake perris campground/park was actually REALLY beautiful..
i checked in pretty late (they were closing down registration!) and made my way to transition and the start uneventfully. the swim was fine, but i swam alone. all the women started in one big wave and i was racing everyone, not just my age group, which was fun- especially at this smaller race. two girls went out ahead of me (Terry and Jennifer) and i think the others were behind. i swam 25 minutes. the eventual winner (Jennifer Chalmers) swam 22 and that was how the race was won!

i went out on the bike in 3rd place and stayed there. the bike was two loops, and some nice sections including one fun climb. i tried to get my heartrate up, but my legs were on FIRE! ugh. i was not enjoying this racing on tired legs thing. was much more fun on fresh legs at oceanside! so, i didn't even need to abide by dirk's rules because i couldn't make my effort even go that high apparently. oh well, it felt hard. i biked a blah 1:10. but i guess that's 21mph so not bad. i had a lemming guy who drafted me for 9 miles. i tried to snot on him and kept sitting up. he wouldn't leave. eventually, i asked him politely if he would care to race his own race, or go home knowing a girl did all the work for him. that was fun.

this is my friend scott, enjoying the ride. he killed it out there and won his AG.. woop woop! (thanks, Billy, for all the pictures)
and here's my kick butt teammate Terry Martin passing Jennifer Chalmers on the bike ride...Terry smoked it and beat our bike splits by more than 3 minutes! she's an animal.

so, while those girls were out in front, i was back a couple minutes (they swam 22 ans 23 respectively). i set out on the run and just wanted to run strong. i also wanted to test the zoot compression socks on the run, and see if i wanted to wear them for ironman. the run was pretty darn cool for not having any idea about where i was or where we were going. the 10k out and back was along a trail for 1.5 miles and then the rest out and back along this cool dam- it was awesome! i felt pretty good and started making up time on the ladies....i also got to see all my friends and hi five!

Trevor looking strong...

Terry in the zone- beautiful, huh?

and me, thinking, "look! i'm on a dam! i never been on a real live dam!"running out of steam (and real estate!)

home stretch! I passed Terry in the last mile, but never caught up to Jennifer. she swam 3 minutes faster than me. We rode about the same. I ran about 2 minutes faster. which means that the race was won on the swim and she beat me by one minute. Oh, well, i was stoked with 2nd place and happy to have banked a nice tune-up for st. george.

i was most happy that i had run under 40 minutes in a 10k. never done that before....too bad the actual run course was 6.5 miles, so its not so apparent in the results. when i saw this on my garmin i pressed stop and pretended my race was over :)

post-race, i hung out with the crew and- so excited- i won TWO free entries to an off-road triathlon in Temecula, CA in november! i'm trying to convince james to re-become a triathlete and join me there. can't wait for my first mountain bike triathlon, even if it is like 7 months away.

the Big Rock crew...Terry, Scott, Me, Trevor, and i forget his name. we're pretty tight :)

anyway, i most wanted to write this race report because this is an AWESOME race. the race directors were SO freaking nice, wonderful volunteers, the location was BEAUTIFUL, the raffle was insane (wetsuits, entries, it went on FOREVER, though which got a little over the top, and it was nice to have the low key, "it's all about the good times" vibe. i highly recommend it if you live in the LA, San Diego, OC or east county areas...

oh, and OF COURSE, i google stalked "Jennifer Chalmers". guess she won her age group at Kona this year so i can't be too disappointed. i think i need to learn to swim! that seals the deal. this summer- operation SWIM!

17 comments:

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete said...

Wow. It looks like you had a great time! And for just a "training race," you still kicked ass! Congrats on the new 10K PR!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) said...

What an awesome 10km run time :) You rock girl!!!

Ryan Denner said...

I think its great that you tried to snot rocket, and eventually called out the dingleberry behind you!

TRAN! said...

I did this one on november (it was only my seocnd tri ever) and did well.. congrats on a good finish (considering that it was a spur of the moment sort of race).

JoeBruin88 said...

Nice race report. I'm going to sign up for this one in October.

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

Hmm....wonder who that boy was? He better watch out because he might find an Idropboy.com sticker plastered all over his bike. That's hilarious. You certainly did liven up that workout from Coach Dirkinator. Good Job.

Yasi said...

I think I'd do the same as you and do a race other people than myself, I suck at racing myself (actually I'm bad at racing other people too, but that's besides the point). Great job though on your results, especially kicking butt on the run! Operation swim this summer will go great, you can totally do it!

Thanks for the code on the website in your last entry, that's how I got my Zoot socks!

Tawnee said...

Funny that you finally crossed paths with Jen. She's gnarly, huh.

Big Rock looks like a cool race. Might have to do the October one.

So what did you decide for compression during St George?

Beth said...

Woo-hoo! Didn't even realized you raced this weekend - so ho, hum are you! ;) Congrats on a great race - even though you weren't really racing! Utah here you come!!!

Lucho said...

"when i saw this on my garmin i pressed stop and pretended my race was over "... maybe the funniest thing I've read in a race report. I am totally doing that in my next race.

celmore said...

Great race and race report. I raced Big Rock 5 years ago and really enjoyed. I might just have to race it next year!

X-Country2 said...

What a beautiful race! Great job, and it sounds like you're ready for St. George!

Charisa said...

Congrats - can't wait for your race next weekend :)

Running and living said...

OK, long courses drive me crazy. I would have stopped the Garmin, too! Congrats on an awesome race! Let us know how we can track you on May 1st.

kerrie said...

i probably would have had a little celebration if i had gotten out of the water within 3 minutes of J.C. ...and would have felt no need to continue. looks like somebody might be turning into a bit of a swimmer...

AronSpriggs0223 said...

may the blessing be with you.........................................

Mer! said...

Awesome Race!!

Um..yeah..I "met" Jennifer Chalmers a few years back when we both qualified at the LA Tri to compete again in Minneapolis....I thought the same thing-"google stalk"...couldn't catch her to save my life!! YOU however were prettttty damn close!!

AWESOME JOB!!