Wednesday, April 14, 2010

recover better

since california 70.3, i've spent some time resting, but i also jumped right back in for one last big push before ironman utah. as i've spent a little more time on my bike and a little less time on my couch than i usually would following half ironman, i've tried to focus on recovering better and treating recovery as the 4th sport i need to train for.

SO......
i've been taking recovery soak baths...this one has epsom salts, dead sea salts, and eucalyptus essential oil. epsom salts are supposed to aid in recovery by reducing inflammation, eliminate toxins, and increase circulation.. i even did one double whammy bath (did i just write that?) where it was an ice bath with recovery salts in it. [btw- the BEST way to ice bath is with a hat on and a nice cup of hot chocolate].


i've also been using the trigger point therapy torture devices. the GRID is the new improved foam roller that really digs in and makes you cry. i'm trying to work on rolling out my adductors because they are mad at me because my fried hamstrings are making them work too much and this results in a VERY angry right knee. did you follow? me either. but somehow when Dan the ART man explains the chain reaction of my niggly knee, it makes sense.
Speaking of Dan, as always, i've been getting ART from DTM (dan the man). the picture below is Dans howing me how i have aggravated my pes anserine insertion and demonstrating how it looks like a duck's foot. good news is, he says i am fixable.



and of course, i'm eating good recovery food after long workouts...i deserved this after a 5-hour swim bike run session (Berry Happy frozen yogurt with lots of fresh fruit. mmmmmm.....i got my sister addicted to the stuff- turns out they don't make it like this in chicago!). my rule is that its healthy if you can't see the yogurt!

AND, since i was on spring break, i got to recover like a pro and even took a NAP on a towel in the sunshine! Here is proof that it was a good one

lastly, and most religiously, i've been wearing my zoot compression tights. i just added a pair of the compression shorts to my collection so now i can even wear compression under my springtime dresses!

other than train & recover, spring break flew by because my sister was in town which was SOOOOO fun, but a post all of its own (i feel like i have 10 posts in my head right now and not enough time to write them!)
since i began this current post about a week ago, i emailed the cool guys at recoverbetter.com since they carry all the goods (except the fro-yo and ART guru) i pictured above. i asked them if they had a discount code in case anybody needed any compressing or soaking or rolling and they said YES!
so, if you want to buy any of that stuff, you can get 15% off at recoverbetter.com by entering the code SOCAL at checkout. if you can buy just one thing, i'd say go for the Grid. or, well, its a tie between the Grid and some zoot tights. hmmmm....decisions decisions.
what does everyone else do to recover better? any good secret tips? i'm good for a non-proven placebo effect recovery suggestion too, so no worries if its not research-based :)

14 comments:

SSB said...

Glutamine. Taken after a long workout or before a short (less than 90 minutes) and before bed. Also helps the immune system.

runninggunner said...

Great post. I've found Beer is a great recovery tool. And i love the compression tights and The Stick.

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

Thank you for the shorts suggestion because I was trying to figure that out.I sort of over heated one day at work while wearing the full tights under my scrubs (wasn't really pretty). Also the clerk at Costco asked me if I was wearing my Ninja costume when I was wearing a black tunic length Lu Lu jacket with the tights. Ninja?? I definately need your help with recovery fashion :)

Yasi said...

I sometimes put bubbles in my ice baths, just cause. Thanks for the checkout code, definitely going to make use of it! Keep napping!

Running and living said...

Eating a ton of blueberries, sleeping a lot, and thinking happy thoughts!

Teresa said...

That yogurt, I mean fruit...looks amazing!
I always put a warm towel in the dryer for ice baths too. so cozy!

tn

t-odd said...

I have the same problem except with my left knee. My Grid and Quad-baller is supposed to arrive today. Just in time because my foam roller is all squishy and not doing a damn thing.

Those are some sweet nap lines.

Christi said...

My recovery tools are my foam roller, compression socks and compression shorts. Of course, beer is a good recovery tool just like runninggunner said!

Emz said...

YAY for you. So impressed. Love the bath salts and I must find a yogurt place like that. Looks amazing!

I'm with SSB - Glutamine.

MissFancyPants said...

Thanks for the discount!! I was just doing ice baths, beer (like runninggunner...) and compression socks under my jeans and leggings (NJ we are just starting to get nice weather)- Compression shorts will be a nice change or just another reason to go shopping and find something cute to wear over...:)

Mark said...

Sounds like I'm not the only one with an unhappy knee leading up to St George. At least now I know why! :-) I need new recovery tights...my Zoots are just about dead.

trailmomma said...

For me it is an ice-bath, Zoot compression socks and a SILK chocolate milk. Mmm, heaven!

羅惠玲 said...

與人相處多微笑,個人獨處多沈思。......................................................

KevinD said...

Glutamine