Monday, May 10, 2010

IMSG: Chapters 7 & 8


okay, let's finish up this bike and get on to the run tomorrow.


Chapter 7. "special needs" and the alien belly
after i passed james and the crowd in town, the 2-loop section of the course begins. i think each loop is 47 miles. the first 2/3 are UP and the last 1/3 is DOWN. i settled back into my race plan. i could have just ridden easy given the mishaps, but instead, i wanted to see if i could actually execute my race plan/heart rate/nutrition. i kept my heartrate on the lower end of what dirk had suggested (i didn't have that eye of the tiger anymore), but i was still pushing and soaking it all in. the climbs were fun and i was passing people all over the place. when i got to special needs, i got off and took my time and went to the bathroom. afterall, no rush anymore. in my special needs bag, i had an extra bottle of perpetuem (cafe latte flavor) in the bag (along with a snickers and some popchips). i started in on this bottle of drink mix, and 15 minutes later, all of a sudden, i felt like aliens were giving birth inside my belly. it was as if a volcano was eruppting in there. i have never felt anything like it. this was not indigestion or bloating, i had eaten something BAD. quickly, i switched into problem-solving mode and was almost happy this happened so i could figure it out. i realized that everything had been good until this new bottle of perpetuem, but i didn't want to take any chances. so, i tossed ALL my perpetuem (which was most of my calories) and decided to not eat bananas from the aid stations any more as i had taken one prior to the alien belly. the knots in my stomach were unreal, so i took my heartrate down below 140 for a good solid 30 minutes. i also decided not to eat or drink ANYTHING for exactly one hour. i was SOOO thirsty by the end, but it was a great move. by slowing down, and not eating and drinking, i forced my stomach to work through the gunk that was in it and clear it out.
[btw- after the race i googled and found out it is a big no-no to mix perpetuem 24 hours in advance and let it sit in the sun all day as it is soy protein and can spoil. whoops. lesson learned. back to the drawing board for Kona. ]

8. the long ride conclusion: back to basics
after an hour, i was starting to feel better so i grabbed my snickers (HEAVEN!) and resorted to aid station Gatorade. i knew i needed electrolytes and i had thrown all mine out with my drink mix. the Gatorade ended up tasting delicious and I even got a second one before the ride was up. i tried to eat a bunch to make up for lost eating and drinking time. the bike ride itself was flying by and my legs felt awesome. i felt like riding 112 miles in a race went by faster than even one of our weekend hilly 80-milers. my Colnago Flight TT bike was incredibly comfortable and a perfect fit. i felt like i rode the bike instead of the bike riding me. or something.

anyhow, i cruised into T2, excited for the run. the clock time of my ride was 7:38, my garmin had 6:35 of actual ride time but this included the slow rim riding and stopping/starting for 8 miles. it's hard to say how much time that spinning ate up, but i'd say maybe 20 minutes. looking at times from my age group, a girl i rode a bit faster than at oceanside rode 6:16. i think i'd have been around there. anyhow. i was ready to leave the bike and have a clean slate for the run. my stomach had come around and i was excited to join the run party. i was fashionably late.

13 comments:

Slater Fletcher said...

"quickly, i switched into problem-solving mode" haha...now that is Ironman racing!

Good stuff as always...keep the chapters coming. I may need to order the hardback for the Kona report ;-)

SSB said...

Fashionably late! I love it. Did you run in compression socks? Cause that is fashion for sure!

runninggunner said...

Great report so far. Really like how you have broken it up.

Teresa said...

At least you looked good for the party and were still able to catch up with everyone.

Great report!

kerrie said...

i just want to know how happy you were to hand your bike over....did you throw it? sometimes the tummy issues can be from a too high of concentration of calories in the tummy and the need for a little more water to digest it...but yeah, you definitely want to avoid perpetuem in kona...what about infinit?

Yasi said...

I'm loving your recaps. Fashionably late? Great line!

allison said...

Loving the race report so far! Keep it coming.

It's great you were able to keep it all together and really make good use of the day afterall for prep for the REAL IM :) Awesome!!

Colleen said...

i love your photos from the race! such a huge smile in a them all! glad you enjoyed yourself- if you are going to be out there that long you might as well have some fuN!

idropboys said...

I learned the perpeum nightmare too.....not good! Always mix race morning. What a story- I love it

Alanna said...

This is a great recap! Nice blog :)

MissFancyPants said...

I must say - this is the best race recap I have ever read!! More please:)

rr said...

I checked in a couple of times on race day and was bummed for you because I knew there had to be a technical on the ride. BUT you handled this so well! Get all the bugs and bad luck out before Kona and then we will race!! (uh if I pick up a slot by then)

And yeah, you still look hot throughout all this. I would be puffy and red and snotty when faced with such adversity. Not hot, not at all.

Honeypleez said...

I'm just now reading your awesome blog. Outstanding race report! I seriously felt like I experienced the race with you...vicariously anyway ;). Congrats on an amazing run finish and the best of luck to you in Kona.