Thursday, June 24, 2010

The "A" Team

raise your hand if....you are NOT racing this weekend.
yeah, not many raised hands, eh? doesn't it seem like everyone is getting out there this weekend? i'm sending big cheers to friends at Ironman Coeur D'Alene, Buffalo Springs 70.3, across the pond to Ironman France, and those staying local at San Diego International.

i especially want to send one last "bon voyage!' two of my best friends who are tackling ironman this weekend. since they both have to deal with me on a regular basis, ironman should be a piece of cake! (mmm....cake....yum..).

up in idaho, i'll be tracking colleen. colleen is many things to me: swim coach, bike buddy, fellow lululemon lover and most importantly- great friend. Coeur D'Alene is her very first ironman and she is so very ready! i think she was ready a month ago. as a former college swimmer and a devil on the bike, you can count on her to be out there with the front of the pack. she is also set to run a very solid marathon and i can tell it is going to be a great day. hopefully she won't have to ride this bike, though :)

and then there's miss katya who is about to dominate Ironman France. katya has been warming up for IM France for the past couple months and I can tell she's ready to roll. France is her race and she is going to kill the hills. and she will look good doing it. she's got the eye of the tiger. make that two eyes of the tiger. just get to the start on time, ok katya?

me + katya

i was thinking about these girls on my run this morning and thinking how lucky i am to have them in my life. 4 years ago, i remember being totally alone in san diego. i had just broken up (well- got broken up with i guess i should say)with my longtime boyfriend (ryan) after moving here to be with him (smart cookie, i am!). since ryan was a san diego native, in our time together, my friends were all "his" friends. when we broke up i was SOLO as solo can be. party of one, check! so, i found myself one year into a 4 year grad school program and thousands of miles away from any friends or family.

i wanted to quit and go home, but i'm not much of a quitter. i avoided phone calls from friends & family back home because i just always burst into tears, wishing i was anywhere else :( and wondered why i made such stupid move. and i didn't want anyone to know how sad i was. on a rare occasion when i did talk to someone, i remember telling my bff from college that there was just no way to make REAL friends after college. i told her that sure, i would have some "B" and "C" friends, but it was too hard to make "A" friends like her- the kind you trust and tell everything to and want to hang out with all the time. things were like this for a while. i even started applying to PhD programs on the east coast to get out of this place.

but then one day, another dear college friend called and convinced me to sign up for the rock n' roll marathon with her in June 2007 (i told her she was crazy). i wasn't much of a runner and was far more likely to be smoking cigarettes than PRs. if i saw 4am it was because i hadn't gone to sleep yet, not because i was up to train. but, signing up for that marathon meant that she would come and visit me (to run the race) so, i said yes! and then well....life happened...and things....well, things change, and i did make those "A" friends after all. and wound up with an "A" life & husband too.

so girls, go out and get 'em this weekend! you're my "A" team in many ways- make it an A kind of day out there!

16 comments:

J.P. Patrick said...

That is a great post, Beth!

krystyna47 said...

Awesome post. I am just about to make that leap: I am moving across the globe to Australia, where I no absolutely no one... and I can't tell if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I flip flop between feeling absolutely damn excited about the move and all the possibilities it holds and also feeling terrified that I have to restart my whole life.
The one and only thing that is going to be constant is triathlon. :)

Jill Costantino said...

Go Beth's "A TEAM". Great post in so many ways!

kerrie said...

awwwwww, what a great story! go A team! it's good to find "your" people.

i'm also one of those people racing(who probably shouldn't be) in tex-ASS, and i'm still trying to come to terms with the fact that racing season is has started.

Lindsay said...

Hey Beth, it is SO NICE to hear how everything worked out for you! I'm in a similar break-up/new city/no friends situation...you give me hope to hang in there!

Christi said...

I love your post! Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!

Colleen said...

thanks B! love love! xoxo

X-Country2 said...

Aww, that's sweet. You really do have a pretty great life. :o)

kristinschleicher said...

Awwww... I felt the same way when I moved to MA for grad school and I am going to do it all over again when I move to San Diego in the fall. Hopefully I have as much luck in finding an A team as you!

plus I didn't realize you only started running in 2007?! lots of improvement left to come!

bex said...

that's an awesome post/story!!

Teresa said...

Chick rock and you have a lot of "A" ones! Happy for you and good luck to them!

P.S. I am one of those not racing! woot! Online tracker here we come!

tn

RR said...

What a great story! I know how it is to be solo far away from friends and family too, but it always gets better!

Ryan Denner said...

sweet post!

Yasi said...

Love this post! I still am in the thought process that 'real friends' can't be made after college. I've got to get away from this coast! I'm going to send you a message as soon as I can about August! Have a great weekend!

Shan said...

Great post, B! I have felt that "lost" feeling since moving up to the Bay Area, so your post reminds me that after awhile, things always work out :).

Maggie said...

You are such an inspiration. My favorite post yet. :)