Saturday, June 19, 2010

fly by the seat of your bike

i'm never one to over-plan. planning stresses me out. this happens to be a minor source of conflict between me and my super-planner husband. this morning he headed up north for 5 hours of single track and i had another race pace double brick (long warm up, 10k bike TT, 3k run TT, rest, repeat, etc) on the schedule to be conducted at my leisure. ...there is a great place to do this workout in san diego. it's called fiesta island and fiesta has a 4+-mile loop with minimal traffic and no stops. problem is, i did a similar workout at fiesta island last week and it gets BORING. something about fiesta island numbs my mind and my soul and makes me want to puke. AND its a 30 minute drive away.

so this morning i set off on my bike with my zoot shoes and my bike lock in search of some random bricking. i wore my tri shorts and had a run tank under my cycle jersey.

i warmed up down to solana beach and met up with colleen and kerrie. i joined them for the first hour or so of their ride and we chatted away the miles. then, i peeled off to do my workouts. i was able to find a nice flat loop (and all right hand turns/no stoplights) around fairbanks ranch. for the first run, i stashed my bike in a huge bush/tree in the middle of a field. it was so hidden it was perfect! for the second brick, i made it to colleen's house and surprised her :) banging on the door asking her to watch my bike while i ran (thanks, c!)

all in all, a good day and as always, just good to go with the flow. i didn't have to pack any gear or drive my car, or map out a perfect route or overthink it. Nike's got it right. JUST DO IT.

9 comments:

GoBigGreen said...

Awesome. Ruts are bad. Good for you to break out and find some new routes:)!

SSB said...

Love it. I hid my bike in a bush once when I had too many flats to count and had to take the bus home. Came back later and it was still there

runninggunner said...

Sweet way to get a workout in. I hate driving to a workout, unless it means time on my mtb.

Beth said...

James and I would probably get along - I too am a huge planner. HOWEVER, it must be noted that after spending large amounts of time planning something, the plans usually have to be changed anyway because something happens. So...you might be on to something!! :) I like the shoes in your jersey pockets! :)

idropboys said...

OMG I love the bike in the bush! Luckily no snakes were lurking in there too.

Yasi said...

I love when things all work out perfect like that. Its what keeps me being the procrastinator that I am!

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

Very innovative. I love it. Style points awarded for the shoes in the pocket.

X-Country2 said...

Excellent find! Way to be resourceful.

X-Country2 said...

Excellent find! Way to be resourceful.