Tuesday, June 22, 2010

pancake party! un-carboloading



i must tell you about my breakfast. it was that good. and i finally have time to make breakfast which makes it even BETTER! i thought i'd share because i know a lot of folks who are on a metabolic efficiency kick and trying to eliminate most processed foods and grains from their diet in favor of whole foods mostly from fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds. thought pancakes were out? THINK AGAIN! whoop whoop holla for healthy pancakes!

i borrowed this recipe from Allie and will definitely be making it again and again and again. she posted all the steps in the recipe so head to Pimp my Protein Shake for the full details. i read the recipe yeasterday and realized i already had all the ingredients on-hand so i tested it out after my run this morning before my ocean swim. holy cow.

Low Carb, Low Cal Blackberry Pancakes

  • 2 TB coconut flour
  • 1 egg, 2 whites
  • 1/2 c. blackberries, fresh or partially frozen
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • few drops of liquid stevia, or other sweetener of your choice
  • 3 TB water, milk or non-dairy milk
Allie says the nutritionals are as follows "About 250 calories for [the entire recipe]. Yes, 250 calories (not including the Greek yogurt, sugar-free syrup and sunbutter topping), 17g protein, about 17g carbs and 9g fiber. You are welcome."

this was my first time really diving into the coconut flour and i love it! (but remember to sift it- i didn't and it was chunky so then i used my hand blender to get the chunks out). i also love how high in fiber coconut flour is. anyway, happy tuesday!

10 comments:

HTC Hogger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emz said...

ok-this has made my day.

I'm off to buy this.

Thanks!!

celmore said...

This sounds so good. Thanks for the recommendation!!!

Jill Costantino said...

YUMMY - those look so good! I guess I am off to Whole Foods.

Yasi said...

I've been thinking of jumping on the coconut flour band-wagon for a while now, but I don't like the taste of coconut! Does it taste coconutty?

SSB said...

I just pulled a bag of coconut flour out of my cupboards and was planning on googling recipes. Thanks for saving me a step.

Benson said...

Oh.my.god! I'm drooling all over my keyboard.
I read this just in time for breakfast. I'm going shopping right after work.

X-Country2 said...

That bottom pancake kind of looks like a crab. :o)

Just kidding. Sounds yum!

Kim said...

juuuust printed off the recipe. i love anything pancakes!

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

Mmm....yummy. Going to have to try that.