Monday, July 26, 2010

dishes are done.


this past week was another one full of fun-


training block #1 for kona is ovah. work. is. done. since july 1st....lots of time. lots of fun. lots of cross-eyed workouts. quads burning like none other.
how much training? a hundred hours or so.
too much training? maybe we're all different.
peaking too early? probably, but you take what you can get.
could i sustain this? heck no.
and now i have some supreme rest before Saturday's go at steelhead 70.3. and don't go thinking my coach is a slave driver. when i texted him last week saying i was toast, he said, "you asked for it!" ok, true. (on a side note/rant: i feel i get a bit criticized when i talk about my training but on the same token, i'm not out to hide anything. i get the whole "oh you're doing so much" and people talk. but i'd much rather be straight up than play the whole, "oh i don't train that much" or have people think i have a speedy run split because running is "easy" for me. yeah, easy when you PUT IN THE WORK. i personally feel much worse when i'm out riding and everyone says, "oh i've barely been riding my bike" and then they smash me sideways up the hill. okay, rant over. so if you want to roll your eyes at my training, please roll 'em on over to another web page. or you can keep reading, hoping that i'll implode and the hard work will backfire. well, at least it should be a nice train wreck.


ok, back to the fun. this past week was great fun.
saturday we headed to east county for the Great Western Loop...including a one hour climb up Dehesa road. we chose this route because my training meal was to be served with an entree of one-hour super low cadence (but increasing heart rate) climbing. i used my best hypnotism and convinced julie and elizabeth to climb all the way up (to the bee keeper's) in the big ring to keep me company. and at the top, i dubbed us the big ring b%&tches. anyone else want to join the club?



the Great Western Loop is also a nice chance for me to practice my descending (i suck suck suck) and elizabeth gave me lessons. i have been practicing and almost kept up with them on the final descent. i was so close and wanted to be teacher's pet when a bee stung me at 35mph. i didn't stop because i wanted to show my best skills instead of using the "i got stung" excuse so i left the stinger in and flew down.
later in the day it grew


and grew




tawnee was wondering who else had been stung while training and how many times. i think i am only up to 3.

sunday, james joined me for another 4 hour ride and 1-hour brick (seems like the sunday routine these days)...first we stopped at the Solana Beach Triathlon to cheer on friends. then
we climbed up torrey pines and then headed east.
after the ride, i could taste the end of the huge block of work i had done. just one hour run and that's it! i ran down to the cardiff statue- he was decorated by some pranksters.

and then i ran back home. DUNZO! that's it! dishes are done! i feel like i handed in my training thesis! time to pack my bags and head to the races!

29 comments:

Amanda said...

That was a huge sink full of dishes!
Let people talk and criticize. You're doing what you love. and it's under the direction of a coach. personally, i think it's awesome. and i'm excited to see how much faster you've gotten since Cali.

KLP said...

**Blog reader from the midwest here** and plan to go watch Steelhead so I'll keep an eye out for you.
For triathletes that have 'been there' know the work is all worth it and for those that haven't, don't know what they are really missing out on.

Jason said...

Don't let haters get to ya!

allison said...

Only you can know if it's too much! I'm just jealous cause I can't train that much ;)

Also, I've been stung a ton training, all on the road. I think at least twice this year so far, and my eye swelled up from a bee sting on Palomar last summer as well.

GZ said...

That statue gimmick is hilarious. Ouch on the sting. All the best at Steelhead.

Running and living said...

I admire you dedication to train. I am a clinical psychologists and summer are easier and so I am putting in lots of hours in preparation for my first HIM. I got a lot of "geez, that is too much training" or "don't wreck yourself before the race", etc on a post where I wrote how much training I did that week. So what? I love training and have the time for it now! Good luck next Saturday, I love reading about your training:)

SSB said...

Wow. that's a lot of training. But yep, everyone is different. I did two years of a LOT of training and it worked for me at the time. There were a lot of people who judged, but in the end it was the right thing for me. This time around I'm on the less training plan. And I'm somewhat jealous of those on the more plan. But at the same time I keep thinking this is what I wanted and I sought out a coach who worked with that plan. I can't wait to see how you smash Kona!

MissFancyPants said...

Well, I think it is awesome that you train a lot AND you prove it every time you race that it works. My "tri" friends and I talk about it all the time about how we are "judged" by the "other" friends. My personal favorite: "why couldn't you come drink and hang out earlier, I saw on facebook that you were just EXERCISING for 3 hours. You had to do that? Can't you just take a day off??" AHHHHH, I then try to explain the I was actually training on a 3 hour ride in order to make it through my 6 hour race.. sorry, now I am ranting...great post and good luck at Steelhead.

Tawnee said...

Good rant. There is a lot of talk on volume this/volume that, and I have my opinions, but overall it comes down to what works best for each individual.... So as long as you have the time and are injury free then why not push your limits?!

Glad your bee sting didn't result in a rash. Can't believe you still rode on. Makes me think I am allergic because my body was in major crisis mode with my ordeal!

Good luck to you & James!

GoBigGreen said...

you know everyone is different and since its new for you, who knows? Why not give it a try and see what happens:) I think you have to trust your coach and then you go back to the drawing board if it doesnt pan out.
No biggie. Plus you sound like me, training is fun:) Racing is too, but the training is what gets me out of bed.
I have been stung a few times, the worst was the bee in my jersey that would not get out. That made for a tearful 10k run as it was during an Oly race.

RR said...

screw the haters, they're just jealous! Good luck in the race!

beth said...

thanks for all the awesome comments. i can tell i struck a nerve with more than one folk.
i figure, i've never done the huge training and am still laying the bricks for my cycling foundation. i figure on the bike, the more miles the better at this point. once i've got that foundation may be a different story..

Teresa said...

Having a very solid idea of the hours and miles you are covering I understand what people are saying, however, when you can balance life and rest and be injury free and be kicking booty, then you must be doing something right! Keep it up girl!
tn

Yasi said...

Good work Beth. If you've got the time, why not make use of it? That's part of why I signed up for a HIM in September, August is totally open for me! You and James are going to kill it at Steelhead! Go get 'em.

runninggunner said...

Have a great race. Love that you are taking the time you can to pile on the miles. Miles make champions.

Ryan Denner said...

what on earth are those things on that girls legs?

Kelli said...

Easier said than done but don't let it get to you. There will always be people how judge & criticize, and most of them just don't "get it". Keep doing what you love & what's best for you! Enjoy the taper & good luck at Steelhead!

Stacy said...

Don't let anyone dictate how hard, long or fast you should go... just do what feels right! Enjoy your training today because who knows what tomorrow will hold.
Have a blast in MI. Should them what us "Cali-Girls" are made of!
Let me know what you're up to in terms of riding when you're back.

Stacy said...

Don't let anyone dictate how hard, long or fast you should go... just do what feels right! Enjoy your training today because who knows what tomorrow will hold.
Have a blast in MI. Should them what us "Cali-Girls" are made of!
Let me know what you're up to in terms of riding when you're back.

X-Country2 said...

good luck at steelhead!

Libby said...

Nice! Love it. That's such an awesome benefit of working for the schools, I think it rocks youget to train like a pro all summer! You will only be stronger for it! Love your attitude too, its no ones business but you and dirk's (well, sometimes james too :))to dictate your training schedule. More power to ya girl! I'm jealous!! Good luck at steelhead and kick some a**!!

呂雅慧呂雅慧 said...

你的努力我們都看見了--支持你...............................................................

tri-mike said...

great post- have a great race aat Steelhead- keep Julie in check!

Jennifer Yake Neuschwander said...

Good job. I'd like to thank you for working so hard, having such success, and having fun. It's really inspiring. Good luck at Steelhead. We are rooting for you!

Matt said...

aint nothing wrong with putting in the miles, as Chuckie V says "miles make champions"! Also reminded me of what good ol friel said a while back, people often dont know what to think of the real hard workers but those are the ones whom excel! http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/09/excellence.html

Oh got to luv D's 4/1 bricks :)

Katya said...

You are SO ready to CRUSH it @ Steelhead!!! Wish I could be there to witness the Walsh domination of the men & women's field. If we're still on track for that "50% kid share plan", we'll make sure that it gets all athletically related genes from you two. (Don't read too much into that, people).

Your training has been going great--I've witnessed it first hand, so no doubts out there. Live it up.

xoxo

曹初帆張武茜 said...

時時關心,時時感動。..................................................

Damie said...

I enjoy the blog- think it is amazing you are able to train so hard and so well. Go for it!!!!!!! Jen H just had a good post about how hard the pros train- so hard it makes racing easy at times.

家唐銘 said...

很以有啟發性的故事阿~感謝大大分享^^......................................................